2016 Silverado 2500 Diesel turned off while driving

Are diesels really not meant for daily drivers? I've always wanted a diesel and might look into buying one once i pay off my 1500, but if it comes with a shitload of problems then it might not be worth it.

The majority of the issues on today's diesels are emissions related which is why everyone talks about "deleting" or seeks out the earlier diesels. Letting diesels idle or stop and go, lower speed driving is hard on the emissions system and you will intern experience issues or be prompted to "Continue Driving, Cleaning Exhaust Filter". If you regularly drive at highway speeds, issues tend to be less as are the regens.

Other issues with diesels, especially with the LML, are fuel related. I'm not saying the CP4 is the best by any means but is does not like water at all, just like any other HP pump today. Maybe it seems like dealers take the easy way out saying it's from bad fuel but a lot of times it's true in driveability cases because of the design of the diesel engine, especially in today's HPCR diesels. The CP3 is more durable it seems but also provides less fuel pressure than the CP4 which is why water is so bad for it. Waiting 20,000 miles to change your fuel filter is way to long too IMO. I've seen and heard about many people getting 200,000+ miles on their CP4 but they are very particular on where they fill up and on their maintenance. With any diesel, I highly recommend ONLY using high volume fuel stations, i.e. truck stops. Diesel can go bad relatively quick, seems sooner on todays ULS diesel, and high volume stations should have the freshest diesel available with the lowest possibility of water in it which helps a ton.

By any means, due to the design of the diesel engine again, they are not cheap to maintain. If you purchase one, there will be a higher cost of ownership, period. If you're towing regularly, you can't beat a diesel, especially on the mileage. If you don't tow or drive at highway speeds regularly, I would advise you to think twice. If you don't plan on modifying it and will PROPERLY maintain it being particular on where you fill up, then go ahead. If you do get one and it's an LML and you plan on keeping it forever, I would delete it and do a CP3 swap though deleting is against federal regulation. If you get a new L5P, you can't currently delete them but they've also made some improvements (a DOC right off of the turbo for higher EGTs to lessen the regens) that I think will help some of the emissions related issues and the completely new fuel system (which includes a factory lift pump) but only time will tell if they will.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived