Sign in to follow this  
revrnd

"Cold Front" for 2017 2500HD

Do you guys that plow use a cold front on your grilles (when not plowing)? I've run them in the past ('94 & '04 Silverados) but never did put 1 on my '11. Mind you considering the frigid weather we had 2 of the last 3 winters I probably should've.

There seemed to be a lot of chatter in 2010 when I bought the truck about the cons of running 1.

I figure by posting in this sub-forum rather than the 2500HD forum, I might get more informed responses than from "experts" that think 20*F is cold.

Edited by revrnd

I have gotten cold fronts for every vehicle since my 1979 Bronco. The only good cold fronts are those that either zip open or have opening flaps in them to adjust the level of blockage needed. Unless it is blistering cold, I always have the flaps open. I actually take it a step further. I have winter front and summer bug screen front that is interchangeable on the same snaps. I have grown fond of the Fia brand of fronts. $100 for a combo winter and summer screen fronts, and they hold up very well. I typically don't worry about using winter front until the temp is going to be consistently below +20F. I like the summer screen fronts to keep all the bugs and debris out of radiator. Lots of rural road driving and such so lots of bugs in the summer.

http://www.gofia.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=70_69&make=749&model=80&year=2017

As for cons of running one, hard pressed to see any. For highway driving, it helps with keeping heat in cab. There has been some studying by the Technology & Maintenance Council, the defacto standards committee for fleets and OEM's in the commercial truck sector, that using winter fronts actually can benefit the newer emissions control components by keeping exhaust from cooling too quickly before getting to SCR/DPF modules. As with anything, they should be used with bit of common sense. Take it off when not needed and use only when it is.

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 1

For a gasser or a diesel?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It's for a gasser.

I'm thinking the "cons" that I read about was the "negative" pressure behind the cold front could play havoc w/ the "ambient air temp" readings throwing off the ECM. (I'm just picking my brain here).

That being said w/ my last truck I had made a cardboard 1 because we'd had a stretch of cold weather (It didn't last & the cold front wasn't installed). The cab would never get warm @ highway speeds even w/ the heater temp @ max. Get down to city speeds on the same day & you were OK.

Hasn't the Malibu had shutters for fuel economy reasons?

On my '94 I had the Lund snap in bug screen & cold fronts I think it was a bit of a PITA R & Ring them. I'm not sure of the brand I had on my '04 but it had little "tabs" & domes that attached it to the truck. I definitely don't want the brand that uses "domes" screwed to the grille. I see a late 90s GMC that has rusty domes (quite visible from a distance) around the perimeter of the grille.

X2 on the using common sense. In the past the cold front only went on when the temps were consistently cold. I've seen guys w/ diesels covered up in early Nov'. It's not that cold around here on a daily basis to need them (bro has never had 1 on his Dmax that early). Came off before spring arrived. Plus I don't do any towing.

Edited by revrnd

I use them for gassers and diesels. The nice thing about the Fia Fronts is that you have the choice of 3M stick on snaps or screw on. I actually like the 3M stick on version. Easier to apply, easy to remove, and very reliable. Especially nice for making sure initial install has the front nice and tight. I have probably only had to put a new snap on a couple of times in two decades of using the Fia stuff. Same snaps on my 2015 2500 6.0 for three winters now.

• Like 1

Saw the Chevy 'booth' @ the US Nationals and there was a display of Silverado HD accessories

They had a grille cover and these PNs:

23290141 (HD diesel)

23290142 (HD diesel High Country)

How are these covers attached & would they fit the equivalent gasser versions?

There are plastic clips on the cover, they clip around the perimeter of the grill.

If you go the Chevrolet's website and lookup the diesel manual, it will show you how it attaches.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2017 at 6:05 PM, jhplak325 said:

There are plastic clips on the cover, they clip around the perimeter of the grill.

If you go the Chevrolet's website and lookup the diesel manual, it will show you how it attaches.

Thank you.