Sierra 2011 Stabilitrak off abs warning airbag warning dimming lights

Stabilitrak off abs warning airbag warning dimming lights - fixed

Subject 2011 GMC Sierra, 75000 miles. Second battery, one y.o.

As the title suggests was having some crazy electrical problems. The initial message was a random stabilitrak off/ service stabilitrak message. Then came randomly dimming lights at night especially when adding any load to the electrical system - for example braking. Planned to take it in, but it was intermittent at first. Got more consistent then finally one night, got all the above messages within minutes. It was obvious to me at that point I had an electrical issue as they wouldn't all fail at once. I got out and checked my battery terminals were tight. They were, and battery one year old. I then noticed the fusable link on the battery terminal (pictured) and pushed that and pushed the wires attached to it and they were all tight. Got back in truck, no more warning lights. I suspected that there may be some corrosion on that link, and pushing it was just enough to give a slightly better contact. I eliminated battery terminal since 1 year old and put dielectric grease on it at install. So next day undid the fuseable link as pictured ( I stole this pic off the web to give you an idea) cleaned all surfaces of all connectors arrows pointing to with wire brush and fine sand paper. Coated all with thin coat my favorite dieletric grease. Reassembled. 4 weeks in, no more symptoms, messages or dimming lights. Hope this helps someone.

post-83465-0-99736400-1481758536_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

update:

So for 6 months it was smooth but then same problems came back with some additional symptoms. All off the above and now also, random downshifts while maintaining highway speed, random disengagement of cruise control, occasional "I'm possessed'" door locks going up and down while driving. No CEL lights. Several other warning lights came on and off intermittently like in post one.

So I took it to dealer who scanned it and it showed of course no codes. They could not duplicate symptoms. They keep it for a week though, driving it several times a day for lunch etc, with my permission trying to get it to replicate never could. So he went thru and updated any software that was out of date. He tested several components and found the battery ground strap to show high resistance PN 22846471 and changed it. Even though battery would crank truck fine, it failed a load test. He changed it. I had it tested at Autozone a few days prior and it passed as did my alternator. But dealer was spending a lot of time on my truck so I was inclined to let him change what he suggested. Dealer gave me a printout of the failed test to show autozone. Also, this may be random, but maybe worth noting for anyone else in a similar situation as this is SO frustrating chasing these types of problem, but one of my AC actuators had failed, PN 89018365 drivers side blew warm air. Not cold. I don't think this contributed, but you never know. I thought worth noting. He replaced this also.

So far so good. I've had a heck of a lot of driving to do this last 10 days and 1000 miles in with no more symptoms. On the up side, the truck runs smoother. More power, shifts crisper. Air is ice cold :) I like my truck again.

If you have these symptoms, as a zero cost first step, I would clean the negative ground battery cable connection point where it attaches to the engine block. (in addition to all of the battery terminals and fuse-able link.)

Archived