Muffler Delete question

The key to no drone is keeping the flapper, but I also believe it's aided by having the resonator BEFORE the flapper. Reason being is that the flapper was designed to maintain two effective exhaust volumes (v4/v8), and removing the muffler takes out a TON of volume upstream of the flapper. Moving the resonator prior to the flapper restores some of this volume.

I tow a bit myself. It will get a little louder inside at 3-5k, but it isn't intrusive to me at all. And from what I can tell of other aftermarket setups, this setup is much quieter inside at those levels. And, at least to me, it's a very pleasant sound. Growl, not drone.

As for 5.3 vs 6.2, I'd expect the same results with maybe a littttle higher pitch. There just isn't as much motor barking down those pipes :)

I am definitely keeping the flapper in. Would a magna flow muffler and resonator delete do the same thing? since the resonator and the magna flow are both straight through? Or is it because a resonator is more of a sound tuner while a muffler is more of a sound changer/deadener? do either of you have a video or sound clip? I apologize for all the questions as this is the first exhaust I've ever done. I dont know why this is so hard but you guys are the closest thing to what i think i want so i appreciate the help!

I have only tested it for one day so to be honest the 3 to 5k rpms range I am not sure about... In that range you will hear the sound loud and clear... As those rpms will for sure open up the flapper and let out the sound. It depends on your acceptance level of sound and unfortunately everyone's level on this forum seems to have a wide range of acceptance. My sound with straight cruising and flapper unclamped is slightly above stock but not annoying or a drone to me.

Sent from my Note 5 using Tapatalk

After reading every exhaust/muffler forum on here there definitely is a very wide range of acceptance.. which doesn't help. but again very useful info, thanks again!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bdbake01,

I wanted to thank you for the details provided on your set up. I set mine up very similar except I kept a single exit on the passenger side and added new dual tips. You were dead on about the drone with flapper clamped open. The muffler shop had not done it that way before and he totally thought it sounded better than the straight muffler deletes he had previously done. Again thanks for your information. I am super excited to have my 6.2L growl and ability to have a quiet drive at cruising speeds. Best of both worlds finally.

So you just did s single in single out and moved the resonator where the muffler was but put dual tips on? Any sound clips?

So you just did s single in single out and moved the resonator where the muffler was but put dual tips on? Any sound clips?

Yes.. Single in and out... Moved resonator in front of flapper to oem muffler location and added the dual tips.... Sorry, no sound clips yet I just haven't had time.

well mine is in the shop now to have this done!

Good luck, let us know the results! Sorry for not keeping up with the thread that well, holidays and traveling a lot.

Good thing is that if you don't like the resonator alone, it's not a big deal to swap it out for the magnaflow.

well mine is in the shop now to have this done!

Cool deal... Like he said keep us updated on your thoughts of the sound. I have had this setup for two days now and already had two people ask what system I had put on.. I think after a a couple of weeks it will settle in with even better sound after talking with others.

Will do! and yep exactly my thoughts. But as long as its quiet when cruising and not terribly loud giving it hell up the mountains(going up this weekend and can test). thanks again for the help and knowledge!

Do you have the 6.2 or the 5.3? How did it turn out?

Thinking hard about doing this to mine with the 5.3.

Do you have the 6.2 or the 5.3? How did it turn out?

Thinking hard about doing this to mine with the 5.3.

I have the 5.3. I literally love everything about it except when the windows are rolled down... it makes kind of a raspy whistle type noise under acceleration. And I just really hoping that goes away after a little. I picked it up right as they finished and drove 3 hours straight to our cabin and noticed it. But on start up sounds great windows up sounds great! Only when windows are down you hear that noise so I don't know if they did something wrong or it needs kind of a break in from the new setup. I did also add a dual tip to it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I have the 5.3. I literally love everything about it except when the windows are rolled down... it makes kind of a raspy whistle type noise under acceleration. And I just really hoping that goes away after a little. I picked it up right as they finished and drove 3 hours straight to our cabin and noticed it. But on start up sounds great windows up sounds great! Only when windows are down you hear that noise so I don't know if they did something wrong or it needs kind of a break in from the new setup. I did also add a dual tip to it.

Thanks for the update. Did you notice any drone on your trip?

Keep us posted on the noise.

Thanks for the update. Did you notice any drone on your trip?

Keep us posted on the noise.

No drone what so ever. I did get it done at midas, just because it was so close to my work so I'm more skeptical of them not doing something right then the setup

I cut the exhaust at the muffler and welded in a stainless dynomax bullet $50 ( which is basically a resonator) then welded in a small section of pipe and dumped it over the axle with a 4" tip. The whole setup (dynomax, pipe, tip, install) was under $300. No flapper and sounds great

dc0ad9721d1d9247e304bacf6deecee2.jpg

9c04ab0b44642fa3adbf5e18a4bcb2cd.jpg

I'll never ever understand why guys are spending over $500 on a gas exhaust. And I'm running all stainless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the raspy whistle noise did you happen to test if it does it with the flapper clamped open. I understand you would have the drone but does it go away. It could be a whistle created by the flapper. If not could be a small leak? One poster, the one I copied this setup off of, said some camaro owners have had issues with the flapper on occasion.

After testing the last two days on my setup I heard something today but not quite what you mentioned. On acceleration I sound good with the windows open... On cruising with light acceleration I can hear faint whisper sound (not a drone and not a growl better than the Prius oem sound) . I am going back by the muffler shop tomorrow morning to see if they can find anything.. Just to make sure it is not a leak.

On the raspy whistle noise did you happen to test if it does it with the flapper clamped open. I understand you would have the drone but does it go away. It could be a whistle created by the flapper. If not could be a small leak? One poster, the one I copied this setup off of, said some camaro owners have had issues with the flapper on occasion.

After testing the last two days on my setup I heard something today but not quite what you mentioned. On acceleration I sound good with the windows open... On cruising with light acceleration I can hear faint whisper sound (not a drone and not a growl better than the Prius oem sound) . I am going back by the muffler shop tomorrow morning to see if they can find anything.. Just to make sure it is not a leak.

I have not tried it with the flapper open. I was thought maybe the same but it definitely sounds like it is coming from the end of the exhaust.

Archived