Muffler Delete question

Well I called the muffler shop yesterday and they said they would be open until 4pm...Got there at 1pm and they closed at Noon...Of course and Oh well.. Recorded some sound bites and it does not sound as far off as when I am cruising next to a wall... It is almost a very faint vibration/flutter sound but it is definitely 90% better than the stock sound. I will eventually get it diagnosed... Happy New Year everyone!

Sent from my Note 5 using Tapatalk

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Took some vids. Yes, yes, I REALLY suck at this. Sorry.

Couple of notes, truck was COLD. I didn't wait for it to warm up. In the startup and rev vids, you can hear a little bit of a rattle. I think this comes from the flapper, and it it does do this when the exhaust is cold. 99.9% of this goes away in a couple of minutes. It certainly has less "ping/slap" noise than the factory setup I'll tell you that. When it's warm, all extra noises go away and it gets a tad bit deeper in tone. Not enough that anyone unfamiliar would notice, but it's there.

Wind noise in the vids...what can I say? Sorry. Running solo here and I got what I could. Just watch the first few seconds and imagine the rest.

Again for reference, '14 DC 4wd 6.2L. Bakerman style muffler delete. Resonator moved to original muffler position, flapper installed immediately after resonator, eBay Y-Pipe welded to flapper, duals over the axle and out the back.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0cwdvlliwvb2pp/AAB4-CPX4dTBX776tC5RY5pZa?dl=0

Mine sounds towards the end of the exhaust as well... I don't know if it is traveling down from the flapper or something else. Hopefully find something tomorrow morning.

Any news? I will say that the sound on mine seems to be much better after driving it more. I won't say it's completely gone, seems to be certain rpm ranges and certain acceleration levels. It mostly only noticeable when the sound echos off something driving by (building, fence, car etc) after look closer at the work it looks like they put in 2.75" pipe or maybe even 2.5". Should it be 3"? Could that be causing certain noise?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Any news? I will say that the sound on mine seems to be much better after driving it more. I won't say it's completely gone, seems to be certain rpm ranges and certain acceleration levels. It mostly only noticeable when the sound echos off something driving by (building, fence, car etc) after look closer at the work it looks like they put in 2.75" pipe or maybe even 2.5". Should it be 3"? Could that be causing certain noise?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Nothing yet.. Muffler shop is closed until tomorrow due to holiday. Mine has reduced in sound as well with driving.. I think before I take it back I will drive it for a week or so and then see what happens. I am satisfied with the sounds coming out versus what it was with Oem. I did notice when I listened in Park and had my son give it gas at different rpms that I did not hear the flutter sound that I heard reverberating off the walls while driving by.

after driving to work after the holiday i definitely noticed the sound again so I just got off the phone with the shop that did it the work and described the sound, and they think that there could be an exhaust leak. They used all stainless piping with the stock size diameter pipe as well. Taking in back in tomorrow to hopefully get it fixed. It still sounds great on start up, idle, under gas with the windows up.

back at the shop to see about the noise under acceleration. will update when i pick up tonight.

I just got back from my shop... I had two leaks.. One right at the location near the flapper and the other closer to the back near the tips..The owner stated that the leak near the flapper would have been more audible for sure. Definitely sounds cleaner.. Also figured out some of the sound when next too a wall is just the engine standard tick as well. I forgot to mention I have an Airraid MIT on the 6.2L and the engine area of the truck also emits it own growl in addition to the exhaust. Happy with the change still and again glad I did not get rid of the flapper.

I just got back from my shop... I had two leaks.. One right at the location near the flapper and the other closer to the back near the tips..The owner stated that the leak near the flapper would have been more audible for sure. Definitely sounds cleaner.. Also figured out some of the sound when next too a wall is just the engine standard tick as well. I forgot to mention I have an Airraid MIT on the 6.2L and the engine area of the truck also emits it own growl in addition to the exhaust. Happy with the change still and again glad I did not get rid of the flapper.

Sounds like good news! So the leaks fixed it?! I also have the air raid MIT but on the 5.3, i feel like you can't notice it as much after the exhaust change. Hope my shop can fix it and ill be very happy with it

Sounds like good news! So the leaks fixed it?! I also have the air raid MIT but on the 5.3, i feel like you can't notice it as much after the exhaust change. Hope my shop can fix it and ill be very happy with it

I agree definitely don't hear as much of the MIT as I used too.... But I was able to have my son stand near one of the walls I have driven by.. He did not hear anything strange from the exhaust but he could just slightly hear the separate sound of the engine mixing with the exhaust notes...

I had the muffler shop owner Rev it a few times and could not hear anything from an exhaust standpoint that I felt was off. I did ask him about replacing the resonator with something else for deeper sound (not that it isn't deep just asking) .. He was not quite sure what he would recommend that he thought would work... He led me to be the resonator is fiberglass filled and is designed to knock out higher pitch noises and let the lower rumble through. He did not seem to think a pass through muffler (which he sold) would provide much in deeping the tone additionally but most likelihood would increase the loudness of it which I am not needing at this point in time.

Just got off the phone with the guys and said there is no leak/s. and that he welded up the 2 weep hole in the resonator. He thinks that it is the flapper...

"Weep holes" and "welded [them] up" in the same sentence is concerning to me.

Just got off the phone with the guys and said there is no leak/s. and that he welded up the 2 weep hole in the resonator. He thinks that it is the flapper...

Hmm... My shop guy showed me the weep holes and said they were supposed to be there so it could drain out as designed. Sorry if it doesn't fix it.

Archived