2002 Towing Mirrors

I am looking for a factory solution to my towing mirror problem. I found someone who works with me that has a 2002 Chevy 2500HD. It has the factory towing mirror option. I have 2 questions. Will they fit on my 2000 GMC mechanicly? Will they work electricly? If not a direct bolt-in, what will I have to do to make them work. The reason I am asking is because, they look really nice (Nicer than CIPA or McKesh). Don't know the cost factor yet, I am checking pricing @ GMpartsdirect. Any help would be appreciated.

Bill

The factory mirror you are referring to on the 2500HD for trailering is more than likely a completely manual mirror. Not electrically adjustable or heated. The glass surface is manually adjusted. In order to take fully benefit for trailering, they manually slide out from the truck to "extend" the view.

They should bolt right on to your truck. There is a small triangle plastic trim piece at the window. This has 2 or 3 metal clips on it and a plastic tab on one side that hold it in place. With this removed, you have access to 3 nuts that hold the mirror to the door.

The msrp price on these manual mirrors from GM is about $170 for the pair I believe.

The 2003 models have a power extending mirror (about a 7 inch extension) available as a factory option, including heat, turn signal and power adjustment. When I bought my 2003 2500HD I inquired with the parts manager about changing them on my truck (from the standard mirror to the extending mirror). He was unable to verify if the wiring harness would match up for the needed functions, however the price was the stopper. MSRP of $540 each. You can get them as an option on an LT for $55 or $238 on an LS. I ended up ordering the truck to get what I want, so I knew they would work, for a fair price.

Another source is Power Vision mirrors. See them at www.powervisionmirrors.com for more information. I understand that they build them for GM. Depending upon if your mirrors are heated or not, they are cheaper. They told me I would need the switch to make them extend/retract for a truck that was not factory wired, however the rest of the features are plug in and would work fine.

I love my factory power extension mirrors on my 2500HD. They are great for trailering.

Eric

2003 green 2500HD CC D/A SB

Archived