Android Auto vs. Apple CarPlay

GMC IntelliLink Smartphone  

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I need a cellar connection to make and receive phone calls and text messages. Android Auto's minimum requirement is OS version 5.0. I am testing with a Note 4. It's at something like 5.1.1.

Technically you don't need a cell connection if you use Google Voice. It works over a internet connection, not a cellular one. Big issue (at least for me) is making the switch and getting everyone that calls/texts you to use that new number.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Android obviously will be dominant since Google lets anyone use it. Combine that with cheap phones, especially in developing nations and there's no question which sells more. Doesn't make it better. My employer pays for a smartphone for me and they're totally ok with personal use. The fact I'd never consider that should say something. Oh and Verizon is doing the iPhone 7 plus for like $20/month right now.

It's ok, heard the same things about PC computers back in early 2000s and then blackberry phones for business purposes around the same time.

I got my 7plus for $200 (paid over 24 months) with a 4 year old trade in (iphone 5) which means I still have my 6 as well.

Are you suggesting that Apple computer sales are anywhere close to what windows pc sales are?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Topic creator and chief technologist for this forum thread here.

My two cents here from a strictly apples to apples argument would be that Apple tends to have the edge on hardware and operating systems in the mobile device world, but nothing matches Google's services. I waited for the Google Home (over the Amazon Echo) and right now it's betting on a long shot but Google Assistant is amazing.

The Material Design philosophy has brought Google a long way in recent years. To me, it's clear that they are putting fantastic thought into their user interfaces creating rich user experiences on Android Auto.

That's not clear to me so far with the phone's user experience. Now, I am testing with an older Android, it's only running 5.1.1, not the newest, but after a factory start, the device had a slew of apps that I spent a good five minutes deleting. I completely forgot about phone carrier apps being pre-installed since Apple won't let it happen. Apple's iOS is refreshing in it's minimalist layout. I am still figuring out how to find things that seem to be all in one place on iOS. I had it on the WiFi hotspot the car creates which worked great for maps and streaming music but I noticed it was downloading app updates. After a few minutes of scrambling to find the Play Store settings, I turned off auto updates over wifi completely, but it was still downloading updates. I had to shut the phone of and turn it back on for it to stop.

Furthermore it is also clear to me, still, that if I had anything I'd like to look at on that beautiful 8" screen we have in our trucks it would be Android Auto. It would be nice if I could connect the iPhone, even if just for cellular calls (but that would also work with Siri), but have the Android Auto interface for Google Maps, Spotify, and podcasts. Google voice is not an option, ruins iMessages. Thought about paying to move my number there years ago but it's not worth it IMHO.

Although Android wins big with me because of Android Auto it would take a lot more for me to make a huge switch on the phone fronts. Maybe the next coming week I'll hop into an AT&T store and take a look at the pixel to play with the UI for the newer Android OS. Apple tends to slowly innovate so I don't see CarPlay getting any better anytime soon, despite the fact that their working on a car and you'd figure they'd have a team constantly updating it. As someone who used to install head units on every car he's owned, all of his life, due to years old technology in the stock head units I am pleasantly surprised. CarPlay is still light years ahead of the stock head unit's interface and the overall user experience is good. Android Auto's is great. In 2016, I am satisfied with my stock head unit on a new truck because I even have that choice.

Cheaper doesn't always mean lower quality and what a difference a few years make!

No bloatware on my Pixel but some on my iPad.

Even in the US Android is the dominant platform.

Android captured 87.5 percent of global smartphone market share in the three months to the end of September, Strategy Analytics said in a report. This means that nearly nine out of 10 smartphones in the world run Google's OS. Shipments of Android devices hit 328.6 million, up 10.3 percent year-on-year.

Meanwhile, Apple's shipped 45.5 million iPhones, down 5.2 percent from the 48 million in the same period last year. This was confirmed in Apple's latest earnings results, which showed the third straight quarter of declines for iPhone sales. Apple iOS market share stood at 12.1 percent in the third quarter, down from 13.6 percent the year before.

RESTON, VA, April 6, 2016 – comScore, Inc. (NASDAQ: SCOR) today released data from comScore MobiLens® and Mobile Metrix®, reporting key trends in the U.S. smartphone industry for February 2016. Apple ranked as the top smartphone manufacturer with 43.9 percent OEM market share, while Google Android led as the #1 smartphone platform with 52.7 percent platform market share.

I bought a Google Pixel just to keep in my truck. As soon as my truck starts up, I see AA and the music I had playing from before. Any destinations I may have been researching on my iPhone just moments before will show up. I use Spotify for the most part and can control it using my iPhone via the internetwebs.

My only issue is voice integration with the iPhone since the head unit doesn't allow for multiple Bluetooth devices at once.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought a Google Pixel just to keep in my truck. As soon as my truck starts up, I see AA and the music I had playing from before. Any destinations I may have been researching on my iPhone just moments before will show up. I use Spotify for the most part and can control it using my iPhone via the internetwebs.

My only issue is voice integration with the iPhone since the head unit doesn't allow for multiple Bluetooth devices at once.

You have the exact same conundrum I do. Do I want to loose all voice integration with my primary phone used for phone calls and texts essentially a head unit computer. How do you handle phone calls on the road with your current setup?

...How do you handle phone calls on the road with your current setup?

Fortunately I don't take many calls. I have service on the Pixel, so I use that to call most friends and dial into conference calls. Otherwise it's old school, up to the ear with the iPhone.

Yeah kind of a pain and confuses a lot of people lol.. I'm planning on making a lightning mount in the center console for my iPhone and hopefully I can find an easy way to switch back and forth. Interesting that I can play media from my iPhone while having AA running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... Interesting that I can play media from my iPhone while having AA running.

I have not been able to accomplish that. Are you playing media from the iPhone via USB or Bluetooth while running AA. With AA running via USB & Bluetooth I can't seem to get the iPhone to do anything with the head unit.

Archived