Android Auto vs. Apple CarPlay

GMC IntelliLink Smartphone  

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just came home from running errands with the wife. I paired her phone to the trucks radio, but that's where the good news stops. The Bluetooth connection only supports 1 device. So when I connected my wife's phone it dropped mine. And I connected mine, dropped hers. So I would say that your best bet would be to have one phone connected USB and the other to Bluetooth. Now I only know iPhone, so idk how android works with android auto. But with the iPhone your USB connection will still connect your phone calls. My theory is that if you connect say your primary to USB and android auto will connect Calls via USB, then you may have a shot of using the other phone with Bluetooth. Thus allowing you to connect the 2 devices. Idk how that would work if you had calls coming in on both though. Plus, as we stated before, when I plug in my iPhone, it disconnects the Bluetooth connection on that phone. Whether or not it just turns the bluetooth off altogether I do not know. Hope this helps.

Joe

This is what I figured all along. When I went to the 100 year anniversary hockey game in Toronto, I had my android phone on BT, my friend has a iPhone. We were messing with BT, Wi-Fi and some other settings along to way up there. On the way home, my phone would not work as it usually does. I checked the BT on the radio, sure enough, it was paired with his phone... I think they dropped the ball on this whole thing. In my avalanche, I installed a aftermarket radio that did everything. Why is the aftermarket still ahead of this? The radio was made in 2010, it's been seven years...

This is what I figured all along. When I went to the 100 year anniversary hockey game in Toronto, I had my android phone on BT, my friend has a iPhone. We were messing with BT, Wi-Fi and some other settings along to way up there. On the way home, my phone would not work as it usually does. I checked the BT on the radio, sure enough, it was paired with his phone... I think they dropped the ball on this whole thing. In my avalanche, I installed a aftermarket radio that did everything. Why is the aftermarket still ahead of this? The radio was made in 2010, it's been seven years...

Aftermarket head units have always been far and away more advanced then anything you get stock. Credit where due, at least GMC paired up with Google and Apple to get their platforms to work on their stock head units. Let me also say CarPlay and AndroidAuto, on the stock head units, are far and away better UX & UI than GM's default. Since GM does not put in anywhere near the effort into their stock head unit UI's the best they can do is open the door for others to do better. Adding better hardware, like the ability to do more than one bluetooth device at a time is probably less effort and money then the spend it would take to get a better UX on their stock interfaces. GM -- keep updating the hardware and let the masters of UX & UI handle the rest.

I wouldn't be allowed to having the radio software be open sourced and allow us tinkerers to customize the way we would like it. I just talking with a friend about this last night. He was saying that dodge puts a camera looking at the bed of the truck and calls it a cargo cam. Not a bad idea if your hauling something and want to keep an eye on it. How often would it get used, idk. But it made me think about how on the mylink side of things, there is quite a bit of dead space to the right of the screen. Usually this is where album art is. But it would be awesome if you could split the view and put up your google/apple maps on that section so you could have more info on the screen, thus not having to fumble about with buttons to check the desired info. I know small, but it would be helpful. The Bluetooth thing, I'm surprised that they disabled multi connections.

• 3 weeks later...

As far as sending texts with my Android in my 2017 Silverado. I'm not connected thru AA, just thru Bluetooth and let "OK Google" handle the voice commands. I hold down the the voice recognition button on the steering wheel until I hear a beep from Google then say "Send Text" or "Send Text to "Contact Name".....then follow the voice prompts.

I have a 2016 with a Note 5 on android auto. only thing i would like to see is the ability to have satellite maps on it. only thing else is having Waze. cant wait for that. the display for AA is kinda boring. would be nice to see updates on there. like news or sports scores or anything more than what they give you now.

Android auto was the only reason i didnt push for navigation when i got this truck.

Is there suppose to be an android auto setting in the settings menu? The dealer was suppose to have updated my radio to have android auto but I don't see that option and my android phone is not connecting to the truck. I only had apple play setting.

Is there suppose to be an android auto setting in the settings menu? The dealer was suppose to have updated my radio to have android auto but I don't see that option and my android phone is not connecting to the truck. I only had apple play setting.

I believe they both come up under the same icon. You have to have an app downloaded on your Andriod phone as well if I remember correctly for it to work.

I believe they both come up under the same icon. You have to have an app downloaded on your Andriod phone as well if I remember correctly for it to work.

Yes they both are the projection icon. I'm asking in the settings menu. I see Apple play but no Android auto. I have the Android auto app downloaded on my phone and it's connect with Bluetooth. The projection icon doesn't change to Android auto like it is suppose to. So I'm wondering if the dealer forgot to update my radio.

I also believe it is required to be plugged in and not just Bluetooth for those apps.

I saw a "connect through WiFi" on Apple CarPlay settings but I do not think our radios are set up for that.

I also believe it is required to be plugged in and not just Bluetooth for those apps.

I saw a "connect through WiFi" on Apple CarPlay settings but I do not think our radios are set up for that.

yeah i have it plugged into the usb also. Just wondering if there's suppose to be a android auto setting In the settings menu. I just see apple play.

Archived