4.3 vs 5.3

The most noticeable difference between the 4.3 and 5.3 that I notice with everyday use is the sound. I have owned both and I do prefer the sound of the 5.3 at idle. I have not experienced any noticeable difference in everyday "usable" power.

It shouldn't, it doesn't have the HP or TQ. And nobody expected the V-6 to run like a 5.3. But it's not a slug. Ever check the HP on a 13 5.3? Or maybe a 4.3 on E-85?

Yes for me the HP and TQ has remained pretty close as my 5.3 was in a similarly equipped 2009 Sierra. I pull/carry the same loads and travel the same roads. The switch for me has been seamless.

• Like 1

Yes for me the HP and TQ has remained pretty close as my 5.3 was in a similarly equipped 2009 Sierra. I pull/carry the same loads and travel the same roads. The switch for me has been seamless.

I was responding to the post before you, guess I was too slow. I should have hit quote and responded directly to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went with the 5.3 would have gone 6.2 but not available in LT trim, I don't tow hardly probably will at some point , but i do enjoy the sound of the v8 plus i feel in ccsb the v6 wouldn't be stout enough. When added extra weight

I dont race (unless its the time clock) just stick it in drive and hit the gas.

We do realize that the ICE is a demand device…right? Motor only makes the power it needs to overcome the load running against it.

That said, with nearly 300 Hp on tap out of the 4.3 Ecotec3 those that say it isn’t enough power are saying that they drive in a way that demands over 300 horsepower for the daily commute the majority of the drive.

Here’s a bet you can check with a Scan Gauge II. I’ll bet you don’t ask your half tons motor for more than 100 Hp 99% of the time.

• Like 3

I’ll bet you don’t ask your half tons motor for more than 100 Hp 99% of the time.

Truer words have never been spoken. But still there is the 1% of time impatient people need to FLOOR it to pull out and cut someone off, they need that extra horsepower.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've had my 4.3 for a year and a half. It's a slug, I can tell when the A/C is on and so forth. I have to gun it and jump into traffic daily. My next truck will be a V8. I fell for the coolness of the blacked out package on the work truck package. I have added a cold air intake and upgraded the exhaust. Next is a tune, that should give me the zip to jump into traffic, I hope. This is my second V6 truck, I swore I wouldn't get another V6 after the last one.....dang salesman and showing me the blacked out truck!

I am a contractor and probably have 500 lbs worth of tools and such in the back, other than that, just me in the truck.

My truck was in the body shop for two weeks (just for a bumper!!!) and my rental was a 2017 Expedition with a 3.5 V6, that thing had some zip, even with the tools and such in it. I don't know why GM has to program such sluggish throttle response. I love my Chevy though, I was missing it even after zipping around for two weeks.

• Like 1

I work at a dealer, I've driven every combination of Gm truck multiple times. I can always tell the v6s from the v8s just from driving them. The v6 just doesn't have the get up and go that the v8s have.

agree 100%.. when the 5.3 was in the shop.. i got a v6... no getup and go.. always pedal to the floor to get any power.

• Like 1

I have a 5.3 in 16 and just drove my dad's 4.3 in a 16. The 4.3 is very rough with lots of vibration and it's kind of like stepping on a hampster to make the wheels turn. His readout said 15 mpg on the v6. The only nice thing about the v6 is it hardly goes to v4 so it seems smoother in that regard. My v8 spends half its time in v4.

Edited by ShamrockShooter

I've had my 4.3 for a year and a half. It's a slug, I can tell when the A/C is on and so forth. I have to gun it and jump into traffic daily. My next truck will be a V8. I fell for the coolness of the blacked out package on the work truck package. I have added a cold air intake and upgraded the exhaust. Next is a tune, that should give me the zip to jump into traffic, I hope. This is my second V6 truck, I swore I wouldn't get another V6 after the last one.....dang salesman and showing me the blacked out truck!

I am a contractor and probably have 500 lbs worth of tools and such in the back, other than that, just me in the truck.

My truck was in the body shop for two weeks (just for a bumper!!!) and my rental was a 2017 Expedition with a 3.5 V6, that thing had some zip, even with the tools and such in it. I don't know why GM has to program such sluggish throttle response. I love my Chevy though, I was missing it even after zipping around for two weeks.

An uncle of mine who owns basically the same truck as you, with it being a 2016, said the same thing about the sluggishness. Last week, he had it custom tuned on a dyno for 93 octane and man it moves now. The tune will completely transform your truck no doubt.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.autorooster.com/0-60-times/chevrolet/silverado/

The new 4.3l is slightly faster than the 1999-2006 5.3l, and slightly slower than the 2007-2012 5.3l.

When I was driving those trucks I don't remember weeping and cursing GM, wishing they were faster.

Reality is these things are pickup trucks, not race cars. The ONLY ones that could be called "quick" are the 6.2l models.

If a person had one of the last couple generations of 5.3l the new 4.3l will seem very similar. I didn't really notice the difference driving one for a year after spending the prior 11 with a 2002, 2006, 2010 5.3l. (and I don't notice a lot of difference with the two current gen 5.3s I've had since then)

New 4.3 is not a "slug" - numbers don't lie.

• Like 1

People that say trucks today aren't quick are either hard to please or haven't been driving very long. My 14 on E 85 rivaled many of my performances cars of the 70s- 2000s. Even the famous 70 chevell SS 396-350 HP stock on street tires. I've seen singal cabs 5.3s on E-85 run mid 13s on this web site, slow indeed.

• Like 1