LED Headlight upgrade (Winjet Housing)

Hey guys Just purchased the Winjet projector headlights for my 2014 Silverado. I also purchased the new GTR Gen 3 LED headlights (H7) bulbs. These lights are amazing. They blow the OPT 7's out of the water. The new LED headlight comes with a driver. The driver (Small computer module) is small enough to fit inside the whole headlight assembly inside the dust caps. I was wondering if anyone knew if this was a good idea/bad idea to do? My only concern is heat. Do the drivers get pretty hot...? Would I be better off installing it outside the dust cover? Would be nice to not have to cut holes in the dust covers as everything fits in there now. I definitely don't want to start melting things. Thank you.

• 2 months later...

I did the same thing with Xenon Depot LED bulbs in stock reflectors. I stuck the drive of the bulb inside the headlight housing and closed off the dust caps, never had an issue.

Do you have a link to the exact ones you used in your reflectors. I did the h9 mod but still unimpressed with the light output. All I hear is Leds suck in reflectors, hids are for reflectors....blah blah. In hindsight should have got the z71 for projectors ...but you know. Are you happy with the LEDs in the reflector housing?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I did the same thing with Xenon Depot LED bulbs in stock reflectors. I stuck the drive of the bulb inside the headlight housing and closed off the dust caps, never had an issue.

How do you like those? I had them, and they were better than stock, but still sucked. Just switched to Morimoto HID's and they're 100% better than the Xenondepot LED's.

Lol Yeh I know, there's a lot of hate about updating bulbs in reflectors no matter what you do. http://www.xenondepot.com/H11-Xtreme-LED-kit-p/xt-led-h11.htmThis seems to be an updated version, I have the older ones paid $120. They are very bright, when I first installed them they would light up the street further than then my high beams, but I would get flashed all the time. I had to aim them down quite a bit. While driving they light up the road pretty good, but don't have even light out put on the road like HID, it's kinda foggy and patchy. I was kinda worried about driving in winter with snow, that the headlight might not get hot enough to melt any snow away, but hasn't been any issue. Probably the worst thing is driving in rain, visibility isn't really that great for some reason. Other than that I had them for over a year and I think it's the best bang for the buck as far as a bulb upgrade.

Do you have a link to the exact ones you used in your reflectors. I did the h9 mod but still unimpressed with the light output. All I hear is Leds suck in reflectors, hids are for reflectors....blah blah. In hindsight should have got the z71 for projectors ...but you know. Are you happy with the LEDs in the reflector housing?

I had the xenondepot LED's as well in my 2015 Sierra and although better than stock, they still sucked. I just switched to Morimoto HID's and they are 100% better than the LED's. Teamed up with the Morimoto XB Type G LED fogs and my lighting complaints have completely disappeared.

I got the XB fogs as well, love them. It was a pain to install, took off the entire bumper

There's a much much easier way lol. Next time, after removing the little trim circle piece, just reach under the bumper and pinch the tabs on the 3 "plugs" (not the bulb plug) and you can push them through and the whole fog light will just pop out. You can also just pull it out as the metal tabs will just pop out of the plastic clips one at a time. I installed my fogs in about 20 min.

Edit: just realized you have a Silverado not a Sierra so I don't know if they're the same

Yea I have the reflector as well. I know projectors are better but I'm not confident in doing a retrofit and what it would cost to have someone do it..mmmm. Later on winner as well or as time goes on junkyard ltz headlights lol

Archived