Cargo light on while driving with stock button

So I finally worked out a way to use the cargo light while driving. You take a latching relay module (I used the pack tr7 set on option 3), power it with inadvertent power controlled by bcm (it stays on 20 min after the truck goes off and can be tapped in the dome light power supply circuit) and hop the negative momentary ground trigger of pack module to the output wire of the cargo lamp switch or input at bcm. Then hook the positive output wire (blue on PAC) to the relay actuator input on the inside of the passenger cab fuse box. I tapped the cargo light switch since I was running power that way anyhow.

The inadvertent power is important because if you get the bcm and the PAC tr7 module out of sync you would have a situation where either the truck or PAC would always have the cargo lights on. So when the truck times out and turns cargo lights off after being on with key off for a period of time, the pac loses voltage and resets to NO. If anyone is interested in more information or help, I'm glad to share. Also I was sure to put a diode in the stock relay control wire to prevent back feed to bcm. This is for "Offroad" use only ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can we get a write up with photos for the people who have never done this before man? Would be huge as a lot of people want to do this mod; especially in the 1500 section.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Love your post. I'm old school and most of it is a foreign language to me. I just want to be able to check my load with a quick glance in the rear view mirror.  That's all I want. The truck is brand new, GM won't give the dealerships the codes to reprogram the cargo light. Simplist fix.....It's a SAFETY ISSUE forcing me to stop on a roadway instead of simply glancing on the rear view mirror.  I am technologically impaired. My next truck is going to be a 1966 Jeep FC 150. 

On 12/2/2017 at 10:25 PM, Brother John said:

Love your post. I'm old school and most of it is a foreign language to me. I just want to be able to check my load with a quick glance in the rear view mirror.  That's all I want. The truck is brand new, GM won't give the dealerships the codes to reprogram the cargo light. Simplist fix.....It's a SAFETY ISSUE forcing me to stop on a roadway instead of simply glancing on the rear view mirror.  I am technologically impaired. My next truck is going to be a 1966 Jeep FC 150. 

If you are talking to me about my post above yours it was directed to Yordany asking about the lines in his backup camera.

According to the government having your cargo light on while driving is a safety hazard for the people behind you.  These newer trucks have brighter bulbs and if you are driving behind somebody with a cargo light on the Feds are worried it will blind you -- that's why they make the manufacturers disable the lights while in gear.

On 12/2/2017 at 10:25 PM, Brother John said:

The safety issue is driving down the road without the load secured.

While I agree to disagree with you..... I can't find anything that's mandated from the Gov. I live in Wisconsin it is illegal to drive with the cargo light on. I'm not talking about driving with it on, I'm talking about turning the cargo light on, quickly and safely glancing in the rear view mirror to ensure the load is still securely fastened. Exactly replicating how a driver would check traffic following behind. This would take less than 3 seconds max. The manufacturer could easily program it to start an audible dinger and a prompt on the dash after 3 sec. It's not to much to ask when spending over $50K that when I turn a light switch on  that the light comes on. If it doesn't , it's broken. Lennon always talk about protecting the population from itself to. Have we as American drivers lost the right to even turn a light on. Even one that costs $50K.  As I mentioned earlier, if I'm dumb enough to forget the light on, I shouldn't be driving. I bought my first vehicle in 1975 and to date, I haven't forgot to turn a cargo light off . Safety, I don't buy it, what are the stats for accidents involving someone stopped on the roadway compared to a perceived impairment from a cargo light. No risk assessment or other analysis would support the cargo light not working not to mention if the straps on my ATV come off and I've launch a 650 lbs. projectile down the roadway.  Thanx for your thoughts.

Brother John...love the candid post. But I'm sure you're aware you can add your own bed lights on a switch you control from the cab. From the simple aftermarket under the bed rail LED strip kits that come with all the wiring and the switch (this would be in addition to factory under the rail LEDs that we can only operate when parked) or to a custom set up...you choose the lights and switch and just add the wiring (and relays) in between. I've seen small round white LEDs flush mounted in the factory grommeted round holes in the bed corners...pretty trick looking and the lights are only like $5.00 each.

These options should provide plenty of light to check your loads while traveling...and since the light is relatively low in the bed, tailgaters won't be blinded...that's what switched back-up lights mounted in the bumper are for...

Happy haulin'...   

EJ,  thanx, could you suggest the simplist lights/ switch that you're aware of.  Alot of threads about relays, diods, and such. What ever happened to a hot wire, toggle /rocker switch and a ground. Sorry if i came accross rather gruf. (I am rural and old school ), My glutismusmaxim is just really chafed because for $55k I shouldn't have to do anything exept flip a switch to make a light illuminate. Here's an update,,,,,I'm riding in my friends 2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 @ 74 mph on I-94 in the rain and cargo light turned on when he flicks the switch. Much to my expence......... and my friends entertainment. Alot of good hearted folks talk safety reasons for not being able to turn the light on. I'm not buying it ( if I need a cargo light, that means I've got cargo, which prevents the light from shining past the cargo. The safety argument is feeble and not thought out.  Anyway, I know when I'm whipped, Adolph Hitler has been quoted for " if you take away their rights correctly, they won't recognize they're losing them". I guess I've lost the right to turn on a light without circumventing some coorperate or government policy. This is the first time I've ever posted anything  on the web in my life so i hope i haven't offended anyone. If i have, I'm sure you're not as mad as I am about a $55k (1056) light bulb that won't turn on. I'd like to meet the dumb basturd responsible for breaking my light in a tavern, he'd leave with a fat lip. (Not really, but I'd shake him a little bit, maybe shake a little sense in him ). GM Customer Service in Bangaladash said they'd run it up the chain for me but I ain't holding my breath.

My arse is still chafed, but I'll heal.

Edited by Brother John
Details & Update

Brother John...you didn't come across gruff in my opinion...I get what your talking about and I like the candid way you put it. I went from an '04 Duramax to my '16 and I'm still learning all the bells and whistles this truck has...some I really like and some took getting used to...and some I haven't got used to yet. And you're right...we do spend a shit load of money for these trucks and it's frustrating sometimes when the simplest things for us end users get overlooked...

Here is a simple solution in a kit...rock lights. These are typically mounted up in the fender wells or under the vehicle, but can easily be mounted under the bed rails or flush inside the corner bed posts. Rough Country makes a (4) light kit with the wiring harness, 30A fuse, and switch. Just mount the lights, run the switch to the cab, and run two wires to your battery.

You can find this on their website - roughcountry.com and check the lighting section. I'm sure numerous other companies make something similar as well. There is a pic below where somebody mounted a switch that comes with these types of kits below the drivers seat kind of out of the way. These switches can also be mounted on your dash...

Or, for a more custom look...check out SuperbrightLEDs.com. You'll have to purchase the lights, switch, and harness seperately, but they can walk you through what you need. The concept will be the similar, but you can select a switch that more replicates your interior and color (most will reqiure drilling the dash). Pics are included below of their products just for your info. Again, numerous companies out there will offer these same products...

Instead of individual bed lights, you can also run the LED strips...just another idea...again, numerous brands out there. Most of these have the 3M adhesive backing to stick under the rail. If installed properly, it should work fine for years. Use 3M's adheasion promotor...

led-bpbt-push-button-switch-blue-bpbt-spb.jpg

rock-light-to-pig-tail-connector01.jpg

IMG_1073.jpg

What if you just pop it into neutral and then back to drive for that quick second on the high way to check... A good flat road with a steady speed and you shouldn't lose much taking a quick look... 

Just a thought.