6.0 or 6.6

Hey folks I'm considering trading my 14 1500 5.3 in for a 3/4 ton and was wondering about the 6.0. I would like a diesel but don't want to mess around with all the epa mess. So can someone tell me or point me in the direction of a thread with the info

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Are you hauling heavy loads?

I've got a 15 6.0- Love it.. One of the best trucks i've owned. Great for towing and plowing snow! If you tow over the highway, heavy and often i'd go diesel. The new L5P looks amazing.

If you want to know of some more differences, just start paging through the threads in this section. It'll take a while, but you'll see lots of reasons for each.

IMO, if you are towing in excess of 10,000 pounds on a regular basis, go diesel. If you are towing through the mountains on a regular basis, go diesel. If you put on a lot of miles, go diesel.

If none of those, go gasser.

I went gas because I live in the Midwest, don't tow in the mountains regularly, I take a lot of shorter trips, and I wanted to save some money on the upfront cost.

Yeah, there are good arguments for each. Fuel economy is not really one of them. While the Dmax will generally get better mpg, the cost per mile will probably be about the same when you factor higher cost of diesel and DEF. Of course, that varies on region of the country. I go thru a lot of diesel a year in other applications (roughly 20,000 gallons a year), but I find the 6.0L gasser in my 2500 does a fantastic job and more suits what I need the pickup for. My needs were more for hauling capability than towing. Much more than is practical with a 1500. And this pickup is one snow plowing fool! And fuel mileage isn't too bad. I have averaged about 14 mpg for the life of my 2015, and have pulled off some 17-18 mpg road trips.

Just weigh all the things you are expecting from a pickup, weigh the costs and benefits for each, and go with your gut on what to buy. And unless you like trading every year or two, resale value really is not a good argument either.

True, DEF is not all that expensive over the time frame. And if everything is working right, modern EPA compliant diesel engines are pretty nice. But all it takes is dealing wth a failed SCR injector, crystallized DEF in lines, a failed DPF, a failed EGR valve or EGR cooler, etc and all the associated down time and costs with one of those events to cure one of running out and getting a diesel unless they truly need one for the work they are trying to do. And there are far more sensors that can take a dump at the most inopportune time. Diesels have their place, but not the best choice all the time. It is even more critical on modern emission diesels to operate them for longer periods under load than general commuter transportation events, and you have to be very diligent about fuel issues and getting quality DEF. And unless one is really up to speed on what is required to keep these modern diesels running properly, they may be in for some serious buyer's remorse. Caveat Emptor applies. Get one if you need one, but might be wise to avoid if you don't.

One has to seriously ask themselves if they truly need diesel or are just getting one for some social status kind of thing. The L96 6.0L gasser is one of the most bullet proof engines in the GM stable and is very capable for all but the most serious work requirements. And even under some tough working conditions, a solid long term reliability record. Common for them to rack up over 300,000 miles in commercial use without a problem.

Well said Cowpie, I had a 04 lly bought new because I towed boats a lot but after I stopped towing I just couldn't justify keeping it just to drive around but I did stay 3/4 ton due not being able to get the long bed double or crew cab in 1/2 ton form (stupid on Chevy's part) I like long bed trucks.

My advice is if you don't need a Diesel don't get it just to say you have a Diesel, diesels need to be worked.

I have owned 4 diesel HD pickups over the last 20 years. I loved my Ford 1995 and 2000 7.3 powerstokes, hated my 04 6.0 power stroke, it motivated me to buy my 08 Duramax which was a great truck, my favourite diesel by far.

I towed a 33 ft Montana Fifth wheel for 8 years with awesome performance. If I would have kept towing big Fifth Wheels, I would have gone for another Duramax, but now I haul a 5000 pound camper and the gas models have a bigger payload, way bigger in my Dually model , an impressive 760 pounds more so I had to go to the 6.0 litre.

It was articles like the one above that gave me the confidence to order the 6.0 gas. If I would have went with Ford or Dodge I could have got a diesel with as much or more payload than my 16 Silverado but I liked my 08 Silverado Dually LTZ so much, I wanted to stick with GMC and I have to say I am absolutely thrilled with the power and fuel economy of the 6.0 gas and I have experience with gas engines in trucks as well . I had a Ford 460 and a Ford V10 pickup, both much harder on gas and my 6.0 had way more power than my 88 F250 with a 460 and the 460 was about 40% harder on fuel. My 05 V10 which I only had for a short time would be very close in power to my new 6.0 but was about 20% harder on fuel. I get a big kick out of the guys that call the 6.0 gutless. If they really believe that, they have never owned a truly gutless pickup. My 1980 F250 with a 351 was so gutless, it was scary. I used to go skiing with my camper on and there were grades I was low gear and losing speed, just praying I would get to the top before I had to back down. That was a gutless truck.

Bottom line, you can't go wrong with a new Duramax or a new 6.0. Good luck in your choice.

I've driven my brothers 6.0 and it's an absolute dinosaur. Great reliable engine but dog shit slow. Yes I know this ain't a race but man it has no balls at all for an hd motor. Go diesel everyday and twice on sundays

I've driven my brothers 6.0 and it's an absolute dinosaur. Great reliable engine but dog shit slow. Yes I know this ain't a race but man it has no balls at all for an hd motor. Go diesel everyday and twice on sundays

Sorry to hear your brother's truck is so slow, but at least he drives a GM product. My brother drives a Ram.

Not sure where Colossus is getting his DEF but I put $12.00 of DEF in the tank at a truck stop and will get 5,000- 7,500 miles to the tank, it will depend on how much towing I'm doing as to how long it will last. :jester:

Not sure where Colossus is getting his DEF but I put $12.00 of DEF in the tank at a truck stop and will get 5,000- 7,500 miles to the tank, it will depend on how much towing I'm doing as to how long it will last. :jester:

He sure isn't getting it where the cost is good. I was just at the Mack truck dealership lube shop where I get my semi truck oil changed and they had DEF at the same price they have had it for a couple of years now.... $1.89 a gallon. They will fill any vehicle from their bulk tank that pulls in for DEF. Car, pickup, etc. They don't even require the vehicle to come in the shop. Pull up to the shop door and they will run the hose out and fill the DEF tank for you.

The 6.0 is definitely not slow and is a beast when tuned. There is a lot of bs hate against the 6.0.

You are so correct on this post. GM has offered this great engine for many years and it beat the latest gas offering from Ram in the towing contest up the Ike Gaunlet so this is one fast dinosaur. I got to drive a couple Ford Superdutues with the 5.4 Tritons. They were grim to say the least and the only other gas offering for quite a few years was the V 10 1which I like very much but it is very thirsty. Not sure about US availability but in Canada you had to do a factory order to get one and that is what I did after my 04 Superduty 6.0 kept leaving me on the side of the road waiting for haul trucks after a frustrating conversation with a person that barely spoke English.

Ford took my lemon back at 6 months of age and let me order a loaded 05 CC long box 4x4 V10. The V10 will really pull if you let it scream. It pulled my 33 foot Fifth wheel and I also had a 9 ft slide in camper for construction work. My new 6.0 has very close to the same power, does not have to rev near as high as the V10 did and is a full

20% better on fuel plus the huge bonus of the beautiful sound of a small block Chevy V8.

The Ford V10 sounds like a 4 banger on steroids. I only had the V10 for 3 years because I rolled it in an ice blizzard and it was a write off so I threw the dice and bought my 08 Silverado Duramax, I had bought brand spanking new 3/4 and 1 ton Ford pickups in 75, 80, 81, 88, 94, 00, 04, and 05. Eight brand new Fords, only real lemons were the 80 and 04 which I both dumped quick. The others were good, but not nearly as good as the 08 Silverado. If my 16 Silverado is as good as the 08, I will be very happy. So far so good but only time will tell but there is one thing certain, I am sticking with GM trucks for a long as I can keep driving.

Archived