'15 Sierra unstable driving

Beer Belly

Question

I've put 16k on this truck and about two weeks ago it started to get an unstable feel while driving back roads....same roads I've been driving since new. On the highway it's not as bad, but at times feels like it's getting hit by winds that are not there....clear day, not a breeze. The back roads are the worse....need to be on top of the wheel making constant corrections. Brought to the dealer, and they said it drives as it should.....like I said, I've done 16k, same roads, suddenly feels different. Any ideas ?

2 answers to this question

I'd be looking at front end issues - ball joints, control arms, strut problems, or hub bearings.

If something changed in the way it handles, it's for a reason. I'd have them go through that front end top to bottom.

You can also check for any abnormal play by jacking each wheel up one at a time by the lower control arm, as close to the wheel as you can get, and get a pry bar or anything with leverage to lift up on the wheel to check for play - can also grab it at 12 & 6 and attempt to move, but sometimes play can be missed - a pry bar is better. Also grab the wheel at 9 & 3 and shake to check the steering rack ends, and in between those 2 (2 & 8) to check for any play in the hub bearings.

My lower ball joints were smoked on my '07 by 38k miles - uppers, struts, and hub bearings were done at 50k.

Hi Beer Belly,

We are sorry to hear of the concern that you have been experiencing with your truck. Our team would like to get you in touch with your dealership regarding further clarification on your last visit. If interested, please send us over a private message with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and your dealerships name. We look forward to hearing from you.

Bret B.

GM Customer Care

Archived