Will pick up my '17 Silverado 3500HD CC LWB, my first diesel; what

X25

I am very excited to be picking up my first HD truck next week, which also happens to be my first diesel! I will be trading in my '15 RAM 1500 Hemi CC 4x4 for the truck. I am not new to trucks, and have been towing my cars to race tracks, but this one is my first HD truck, and first monster diesel.

I've read through the Duramax supplement user manual, and have also been watching about videos of how to change the oil, the fuel filter, etc.. I think I will be able to do all that, but looks like there is also the part of HD diesel ownership not covered by the official documents.

• Is there any additive I need to use for my fuel? I live in Pacific Northwest, which has very mild winters, so it never gets too cold in here (the lowest ever recorded was in 1950 / 1951 at 8 degrees F).
  • Which oil or fluids would you guys recommend? I was thinking about Amsoil's 15W-40.
  • What about filters? I plan to use OEM.
  • Tire pressures? What pressures should I use when I'm not towing?
  • When (miles) would you guys recommend I do the first oil change?

Thanks in advance, and apologies for the stupid questions : )

Run OE filters fuel and oil. Especially the fuel filter as there have been various issues encountered with aftermarket ones. Same for the air filter, go OE. Transmission external, either OE or the Allison OE filter (the red one).

GM does not recommend or require any fuel additives:

Diesel Fuel Additives Are Not Required or Recommended

The use of diesel fuel additives are not required or recommended for the GM diesel engines under normal conditions. The filtering system is designed to block water and contaminants without the use of additives. However, some customers may desire to use fuel additives to improve the characteristics of available diesel fuels. Refer to the Parts Information below.

Water Emulsifiers and Demulsifiers

If the customer desires to use a fuel additive, care must be taken in its selection. There are two common methods that fuel additives use to cope with water in the fuel.

• One method is through demulsification of water in the fuel. This method causes water particles to combine together to form larger particles, which drop out of suspension. This allows the fuel filter/water separator to separate the water from the fuel as it is designed to do.
  • The other method of coping with water in the fuel is through emulsification. This method, often using alcohol as the emulsifier, keeps water particles suspended in the fuel. Emulsification of water in the fuel can allow water to get past the fuel filter/water separator, in most cases causing damage to other components of the fuel system.
Common Diesel Fuel Concerns Fuel Waxing/Icing

Fuel distributors blend #1 and #2 diesel fuels* for seasonal requirements in a particular region. No other blending of fuels is recommended. However, a customer may desire to use a winter fuel additive to prevent fuel waxing or icing during extreme cold snaps. If a winter fuel additive is to be used, it must not contain any metal based additives, alcohol or other water emulsifiers that may compromise the water removal effectiveness of the fuel filtering system.

*In Canada, Diesel fuel blend #1 is categorized as type A (Winter) and blend #2 is categorized as type B (Summer)

Bacteria and Fungi Growth

Bacteria and fungi growth can occur in diesel fuel when there is water present, especially during warmer weather. The best prevention against bacteria and fungi growth is to use clean fuel that is free of water. There are diesel fuel biocides available which are designed to kill bacterial growth in the fuel system. However, the dead bacteria can still cause blockages throughout the fuel system. If bacterial growth is found in the fuel system, the proper method of removal is to flush the fuel system using the appropriate Service Manual procedures, replace the fuel filter element and refilling the tank with clean diesel fuel. If a customer desires to use a biocide after flushing the fuel system, it must not contain any metal based additives, alcohol or other water emulsifiers.

Low Cetane Number

The cetane number is one indicator of a diesel fuel's ability to ignite. There are many indicators of overall fuel quality such as cleanliness, specific gravity, volatility, viscosity, detergency, corrosion inhibiting abilities, and lubricity. Increasing the cetane number alone is not a fix for poor quality fuel. Additionally, increasing the cetane number beyond the engine's requirements will not increase performance. However, the cetane number of diesel fuel is not always consistent and some customers may desire to use a cetane improver to ensure full performance of their engine. If such an additive is to be used, it must not contain any metal based additives, alcohol or other water emulsifiers.

Poor Lubricity

The 2.0L diesel and the 6.6L Duramax® Diesel engines are designed to operate on today's low sulfur fuel without the use of additives. A fuel additive designed to increase lubricity is not a fix for poor quality or contaminated fuel, but some customers may desire to use a lubricity additive to aid in the longevity of their fuel system components. If such an additive is to be used, it must not contain any metal based additives, alcohol or other water emulsifiers.

Fuel Stability

Fuel Stability and degradation may be a concern for diesel fuels, especially for diesel fuel containing biodiesel. Use of aftermarket stability additives to improve quality of a degraded fuel is not a fix and use of such aftermarket stability additives by customers is discouraged due to concerns of proper mixing and fuel compatibility. However some customers may desire to use a stability additive to increase the shelf life of their fuel. If such an additive is to be used, it must not contain any metal based additives, alcohol or other water emulsifiers.

Fuel Source Issue

If a vehicle is properly maintained but has fuel contamination issues, consider obtaining fuel from a different source. Purchasing fuel from a high volume fuel retailer increases the chance that the fuel is fresh and of good quality.

If desired or needed however, there are only two that they recommend and support:

Parts information

GM ACDelco Diesel Fuel Conditioner

GM Diesel Fuel Conditioner®, P/N 88861698 (in Canada, P/N 88861699) is alcohol free and metal free additive. It is multifunctional additive and provides benefits of cleaning engine deposits, improved lubricity, improved cold temperature fuel flow, reduced fuel filter plugging, corrosion protection, enhanced fuel stability and cetane boost.

GM ACDelco Fuel System Treatment Plus

If the customer experiences concerns related to fuel injector deposits, then it is allowed to use FUEL SYSTEM TREATMENT PLUS® – DIESEL, P/N 88865597 (in Canada, P/N 88865600) based on recommendation from the dealership technician. This is a highly concentrated product and should be used as per defined guidelines.

Tire pressures I would run as low as you can until the light trips. Should be 58psi or so. I run 60psi right now in my gas HD.

DEF. Make sure it is fresh! Check the dates on the bottles you buy as it does have a shelf life. Make sure the dealer filled the DEF tank at delivery as well. 2.5 gallons runs about $15-22 depending where you get it from. The new tanks hold 7 gallons. Filler is under the hood, passenger side by the firewall.

Oil change? GM has design everything to go by the OLM (Oil Life Monitor). GM has their oil change interval in the book set at 7500 miles. I would say make an initial drain at 1500-2500 miles.

Tire pressures I would run as low as you can until the light trips. Should be 58psi or so. I run 60psi right now in my gas HD.

Is that on a '15?

Is that on a '15?

Should be any of the HD with TPMS. Unless you got a nice dealer that can reprogram the BCM and change the tire pressure PSI to be different (lower) from the door tag. When they do a BCM setup, they have to enter the TPMS values based on the door placard in kpa. By them entering a lower number, it would change the threshold for the TPM system. I think my rears trip the light on at 57 or 58 psi. Mine is not changed either from factory calibration. I've seen 59 with the cold and the light won't come on (door is 72 or 75 I think).

Thank you very much for the great replies! I'm relieved to learn that there's not much I need to do in terms of additives.

I will do the first oil change after about a thousand miles. I've read that Rotella T6 runs the engine loud, though. A gallon of Amsoil runs about $30; not too cheap, but not too expensive, either.

Which oil weight would you guys recommend? From the manual, it sounded like they recommended 15W-40 over 5W-40.

2017 3500's do not have TPMS, unless they have the C7A option code.

OP has ordered a 3500 diesel, so no TPMS.

TPMS is still standard on 2500's.

For 3500: (all trims)
UJM Tire Pressure Monitoring System (does not apply to spare tire)
1 - Included and only available with (C7A) 10,000 lb. (4536kg) GVWR.
C7A GVWR, 10,000 lbs. (4536 kg) with single rear wheels
1 - Requires *35743, C35943, *35953 or *35903 models and (L96) Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI engine. Requires (AY0) single-stage air bags.

• 1 month later...

Run what the manual states. If you live in a really cold climate then I would run the 5w-40 during those months.

If interested in AMSOIL let me know. I can send a quote with GM-Trucks discount shipped to your door. Just need a ship to address and how much you would like to purchase.

• 2 weeks later...

Have not used any additives in over 100,000 miles. When below 0 F wonder for the first few miles if that has been wise but kept running.

Change oil ever 5,000 with Mobile Delvac

2015 fuel filter is a canister located passenger side beside wheel. Best replaced taking down inner fender panel

Changed at about 20% after 40,000 miles

Use clean fuel and drop the hammer. Truck will do the rest.

Good luck

Archived