UPR Catch Can Plug N Play with CSS Installed

The same techs changing engines and transmissions aren't doing oil changes so what I would do is talk to the service writer beforehand and quiz him on catch cans. If you get a blank stare then you might have a problem. If he knows what they are and can pass it on to the kid doing the oil changes you have a chance. Or the person doing the oil changes may know what they are and the problem is solved but it's better to find out beforehand rather than leaving it to chance.

Indeed. The lube tech at the dealer is going to be the same caliber as what gets hired at Jiffy Lube, etc. Which is why in my opinion it might be best he not be confronted with something he doesn't see all the time, especially since removal of the CSS itself is so easy. Explaining things will take far more time. If you remove just the CSS you will leave one fitting on the airbox unused. If you remove the CSS system with all hoses, and reinstall the original airbox hoses, you will leave the WOT fitting on the can unused. What to do about that is my question ---- cap/plug with something or can they be left as is briefly?

This seems like an excellent issue for Joe to weigh in on. Changing oil with the UPR system installed is not as easy or uncomplicated as stock.

Agreed that it would be in your own best intrest , and wise to talk to your service manager before you install a catch can. If anything ,you'll get a reaction from them, and maybe have a better understanding of where they stand with one. I done so with my dealership for just that reason before I bought one.

My dealer told me that it was not really nessaccery to add one, but wasn't against the idea either. He said the Chevy Traverse has a real problem with valve/ engine deposits. And if I owned one of those he would definitely recommend one. So yeah, I felt them out on the idea, before I I bought and installed one. Definitely a good idea so you know what you may be up against as far as future service appointments.

As far as the technician not being the same tech as the one that works on the bigger service problems.. I agree and understand this. But at the same time, I like to try and have a little faith in my dealership service department, and hope that that new hire from Jiffy lube , made it this far because he has enough sense to ask a fellow/senior coworker with more experience ( or service manager ) to give him some guidance to resolve this simple problem. Because, after all, he probably doesn't want to be changing oil and doing lube jobs the rest of his life. ( one would hope anyway) .

But I guess this could be a problem ,depending on your dealership and where you live.I wouldn't overthink it or get too parinoid about it. Evaluate your dealership, then go from there.

The service manager at "my dealership" had no idea what a catch can is. This is not uncommon, most people are not anal forum dwellers. He did get real interested, however, when I said he was missing the boat on a lot of money to be made. When dealers start offering these as "add-ons", like pin striping, etc. I will not be surprised.

Also, if I may add, I found it very interesting after speaking with my service manager about this topic, that at 37-38K miles, My dealer recommends a upper induction and valve cleaning on the engine. Apparently they have a special tool / machine that heats up each cylinder through the spark plug port, and burns all those nasty oil deposits that you didn't need a catch can for , right off your valves. Like it pretty much never happened. I believe this service costed about $180.00. This service is offered Just 1-2 K miles out of the 36K mile warranty...., imagine that. Who would of thought. Probably wouldn't hurt to mention that to them and see if they offer this service.

Unfortunately I don't have faith in the lube techs. I run a dash cam so I see how they act and treat my truck. Just another number to them. Anything out of the ordinary and they pull the brakes. This isn't the case everywhere just mine.

Oh well this is why I will remove it for my last free oil change because after that I will do the changes while I am still young.

Agreed that it would be in your own best intrest , and wise to talk to your service manager before you install a catch can. If anything ,you'll get a reaction from them, and maybe have a better understanding of where they stand with one. I done so with my dealership for just that reason before I bought one.

My dealer told me that it was not really nessaccery to add one, but wasn't against the idea either. He said the Chevy Traverse has a real problem with valve/ engine deposits. And if I owned one of those he would definitely recommend one. So yeah, I felt them out on the idea, before I I bought and installed one. Definitely a good idea so you know what you may be up against as far as future service appointments.

As far as the technician not being the same tech as the one that works on the bigger service problems.. I agree and understand this. But at the same time, I like to try and have a little faith in my dealership service department, and hope that that new hire from Jiffy lube , made it this far because he has enough sense to ask a fellow/senior coworker with more experience ( or service manager ) to give him some guidance to resolve this simple problem. Because, after all, he probably doesn't want to be changing oil and doing lube jobs the rest of his life. ( one would hope anyway) .

But I guess this could be a problem ,depending on your dealership and where you live.I wouldn't overthink it or get too parinoid about it. Evaluate your dealership, then go from there.

Pull out the css from the oil filler. Pour oil in. And push cap back on.

Instead of twisting the stock oil cap out. You just pull the css out.

A 2 year old can do it

Pull out the css from the oil filler. Pour oil in. And push cap back on.

Instead of twisting the stock oil cap out. You just pull the css out.

A 2 year old can do it

The UPR is a two piece. The base screws in just like the stock cap.

Sorry, I haven't responded in a few days as we have been working on some new products.

The CSS is very simple to R&R and with all the customers we deal with. I've come to the conclusion that it's best to have each individual do it a few times to see what works best and they feel will be easiest to explain to the TECH working on the vehicle.

I prefer to disconnect it from the intake and then you can easily spin it to undo the lower UPR Plug n Play™ fitting then use a 19mm wrench to unscrew the UPR Plug n Play filler neck fitting.

Joe

Edited by joeupr

After installing my UPR Oil Catch Can - http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/192702-allterrainx-2016-gmc-sierra-slt-all-terrain-x/page-2?do=findComment&comment=1935504

3 months/500 miles later (currently have 2017 miles), this is what I drained from it. So glad this crap isn't going into my motor.

Chocolatey appearance, oil and gas smell.

post-163421-0-75175400-1494211196_thumb.jpg

Edited by AllTerrainX
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Can anyone give me a quick explanation on what is the point of a catch can exactly? Its my understanding that its just to catch excess oil from going into the intake, correct?

correct, catches the snake oil

Can anyone give me a quick explanation on what is the point of a catch can exactly? Its my understanding that its just to catch excess oil from going into the intake, correct?

The simple explanation of the PCV system is that it's a dedicated vacuum pump to scavenge the crankcase and evacuate any positive crankcase pressure. The issue occurs during normal PCV function while the dedicated vacuum source is eliminating crankcase pressure and improving ring seal. PROBLEM: The factory vacuum source is strong enough that it can and will pull out any fluids that are still vapor.

The newer the vehicle the stronger the vacuum source will be, resulting in much higher amounts of oil and unburnt fuels being scavenged from the crankcase through the PCV system and ultimately into the combustion chamber where they cause disruption in the efficiency of the cylinder firing and often results in detonation or pre-ignition. Then slowly the engine will start to build up a slow and inevitable collection of oil that starts to coat the intake, runners and combustion chambers.

When you install a properly functioning catch can and not some empty container with steel wool or home made dividers in it, you collect almost everything instead of collecting a little bit of oil and thinking you solved the problem. These empty cans are only catching the solids and the vapors are still getting through. That is where UPR has taken the time to develop a multi-stage, multi-chamber catch can system that will deliver the best performance in both coalescing and condensing in hot or cold applications.

SNAKE OIL:

There have been a lot of unethical businesses that market catch cans with scare tactics; stories of blown engines, a bunch of Direct Injection nightmares, and so on. That makes it easy to be swayed, or for someone to make light of the benefits of catch cans without ever understanding the true function and benefits.

UPR stands behind their Catch Can Systems with a full warranty and guarantee to deliver performance and mpg benefits across the board.

Edited by joeupr