2015 New to me Duramax recommended maintaince

I traded my 2008 Duramax (278k) in on a 2015 Z71 LTZ Duramax with 44,000 miles as a certified GM vehicle from a GM dealer. Is there any maintenance that anyone would recommend?

front/rear diff?

transfer case?

Coolant flush?

Transmission spin on filter change?

Transmission fluid change?

Have to agree with that. I even change out factory drivetrain fluids within the first 5000 to 10,000 miles on a new vehicle. And trans filter(s). One would be surprised at the amount of debris from initial break in. Let us know what you think about the Xfer case magnetic drain plug after you remove it. That will usually convince anyone to do regular fluid changes.

• 5 weeks later...

Agree with above posts to change it all out. That way you start fresh. One never knows the previous history and fluid change out is a good start.

As far as wasting money, changing over to a quality synthetic is a good choice. Considering the amount of money spent on "Mods" why not run a quality synthetic. Especially in the transmission, one that doesn't get changed out often and is overlooked the most beside power steering.

• 1 month later...

Greeting from downunder

Am a newbie with limited tech knowledge

Back story - bought a 2015 Silverado, (60,000 miles) had it shipped to Oz, converted to LH drive and absolutely love it.

AWESOME

Now trying to develop a servicing schedule for my Chevy as the one in book (and the Duramax book too) have some detail but some things you guys recommend dont even get a mention eg replacing the in front/rear diff, transfer case etc.

The DIC provides good info on when things need attending to, and its probably easy when you live in the States and can drop into the Chevy dealer but is there a more comprehensive service schedule that captures the things you guys say plus other things ... ?? eg when do the wheel bearings need replacing, valve clearances need checking that sort of stuff ??

hi Stan

dont know what cpo means plus at 10,000 miles between me and the "dealer"

Third party purchase off an individual

The truck came with books it was supposed to have a full service before leaving the Stats for Australia but that didnt happen - used the VIN code and email and was horrified at the result .. ie no record a authorized chevy service.

Again ... all too late and am now trying to pick up the pieces

Stan as a side issue is the turbo water cooled mate ?

regards from very warm Oz

• 3 weeks later...

I traded my 2008 Duramax (278k) in on a 2015 Z71 LTZ Duramax with 44,000 miles as a certified GM vehicle from a GM dealer. Is there any maintenance that anyone would recommend?

front/rear diff?

transfer case?

Coolant flush?

Transmission spin on filter change?

Transmission fluid change?

A certified vehicle should have had all the fluids changed that were required by Factory schedule. Thats what the certified means. I would chek all the fluids myself....

CPO = Certified Pre-Owned which usually doesn't mean much. People get a hard on and think that "OH! I am getting a pre-owned vehicle that is CERTIFIED!!!" thinking that the dealers actually do all the stuff they claim they do on a CPO inspection. Eh. Maybe if they are having a very slow day, but I highly doubt most dealers will go check off 100 or 150 items and doing the specified work required.

CPO = Certified Pre-Owned which usually doesn't mean much. People get a hard on and think that "OH! I am getting a pre-owned vehicle that is CERTIFIED!!!" thinking that the dealers actually do all the stuff they claim they do on a CPO inspection. Eh. Maybe if they are having a very slow day, but I highly doubt most dealers will go check off 100 or 150 items and doing the specified work required.

They do certify that it was pre-owned...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Check your grease fittings on the front end! May need a little love. I picked up a 2015 with 30k a few months back and just checked my grease fittings yesterday. Doesn't look like they have ever been touched.

• 2 weeks later...

Check your grease fittings on the front end! May need a little love. I picked up a 2015 with 30k a few months back and just checked my grease fittings yesterday. Doesn't look like they have ever been touched.

I agree with that .... after a years free LOF's on my 2007.5 I could see the dealership never touched some of the zerks if any. There are (11) zerks on these things and tough to get at some of them without a lift. I always did my own service after the freebees - but that was the tough part. Fuel filters very easy to do if you remove the wheel well liner each time - these access panels make it easier yet:

http://stores.ebay.com/GOOD-OL-BEARs-TRADING-POST/DURAMAX-CHEVY-GMC-TRUCKS-/_i.html?_fsub=11&_sid=5931062&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Archived