Some Fruit Cake

Spurshot

I can only guess what you were thinking this thread was about. But it really is about fruit cake.

Personally, I think fruit cake has gotten a bad rap. Its probably because of a few bad fruit cakes. I have to admit, I've had some bad fruit cakes.

But in the past decade or so, a friend has made them for me every year. They are always the best fruit cakes ever. They are cured in rum and are solid as a tire chock and have the specific gravity of lead. They are perfect.

Who else is a closet fruit cake fan?

A good cup o Joe, fruit cake and the Rose Parade.

20170102_092544_001_zpsbctntx6q.jpg

Store bought...meh

20170102_094629_zpsjwrwhh9l.jpgj

The real deal!

20170102_094147_zpsm8pyc4zi.jpg

20170102_094229_zpsf1xewtmz.jpg

20170102_094406_zpskzjwl6n4.jpg

My late Grandfather used to make fruit cake every year when I was a kid. I think it gave me a little brain damage when I was about nine years old. That and when my Father would have me go pour him "three fingers" of peach brandy out of the freezer. Some times I'd pour "four fingers' and have me a little sip. lol But I think they did me a favor and not make it so taboo so I never had a problem wanting to drink. Same thing with them letting me lite a Kool menthol cigarette. YUCK! never smoked one in my life. They would probably go to jail for some of that behavior today. I miss them both and their horrible fruit cake.

My late Grandfather used to make fruit cake every year when I was a kid. I think it gave me a little brain damage when I was about nine years old. That and when my Father would have me go pour him "three fingers" of peach brandy out of the freezer. Some times I'd pour "four fingers' and have me a little sip. lol But I think they did me a favor and not make it so taboo so I never had a problem wanting to drink. Same thing with them letting me lite a Kool menthol cigarette. YUCK! never smoked one in my life. They would probably go to jail for some of that behavior today. I miss them both and their horrible fruit cake.

I used to get sips of beer from my dad when we would go fishing up in canada when i was younger. i feel the same way as you about that making me more used to alcohol and not going crazy with it in high school.

my dad used to make fruit cake as well. would keep it in a tin and it looked like that brick. i think i'd like to make one sometime with my son as well

Glad you like it, to each his own.

On the other hand, my mother used to make us kids eat them and they were HORRIFIC. None allowed in my house now.

We also had to eat creamed chip beef on toast (S.O.S. to some of you), pickled beets, and cod liver oil, among other things.

If what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, then my sister and I are super-humans.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Glad you like it, to each his own.

On the other hand, my mother used to make us kids eat them and they were HORRIFIC. None allowed in my house now.

We also had to eat creamed chip beef on toast (S.O.S. to some of you), pickled beets, and cod liver oil, among other things.

If what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, then my sister and I are super-humans.

Must mean that you are over 35 also?

Archived