Sugar Bears 2015 GMC Terrain SLE-2 2.4 AWD

Grumpy Bear

Wife bought a 2015 GMC Terrain SLE-2 AWD 2.4L. Before we sealed the deal I had Jason, my wrench, put his four man teams talents to work turning that thing inside out looking for flaws and found none. After two hours what we did find was a rock solid design, build and a fairly nice fit and finish. Yes it could always be better. What couldn’t be?

We had heard complaints about the 2.4’s durability. Jason says pre 2014 true. 2014 forward stone axe reliable. Hope so. This 2.4 and the matching six speed are in her 14 Buick Verano as well and we both love that car. We had heard complaints about a decided lack of power. We wouldn’t have bought a second one if the first was found that lacking. Overly abundant power? No. Adequate power? It’s enough for anything it will ever be asked to do.

Like the Silverado the smaller motors lose some frugality into stiff head winds. Thing is so would a big motored, low drag/small frontal area vehicle. It’s just more noticeable in high profile trucks and suvs. Nothing that’s a deal breaker. I had no trouble getting 28/30 mpg on our 200 mile two way shakedown get acquainted run. And without any hoop jumps or hypermiling tricks. Eco mode and 55 on the cruise.

The ride is compliant and comfortable without the Buicks plushness but also without the Silverado’s high velocity compression harshness. With four wheel independent suspension that seems well sorted it has a very anchored feel in the twisty sections. A confidence you like to have when your wife is alone on a snowy day.

The drivers heated multi-adjustable power seat is the cat. I’m not small but my 6’2” 190 lb. frame is well supported and very comfortable. More so than my LaCrosse. There is enough range to satisfy both myself and my much smaller wife’s architecture. The trim level does not treat the passenger as nicely as the driver. It is heated just not powered nor equipped with the array of directions. Still it sits you for hours without complaint.

I do not like, a preference not shared by all, the red night instrument lighting. I do like the driving/fog lamp lighting range and brightness. Like the big truck I can see where I’m going at a speed that isn’t holding up the world. Nice.

This specimen has 22,000 miles on the clock. A one owner female driven example with full records by an Ohio dealer registering 5K oil change and tire rotation records. No dents. No paint issues other than a few small front rubber bumper road rash type wear and tear chips so small they escape notice for the casual observer. Flawless interior. One year lease turn in. GM certified action sale to Tom Sparks Buick in DeKalb Illinois. A real 99 point car.

Actual photo soon as I get some light and no rain.

post-161433-0-65301400-1483398384_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Holidays perhaps but it took four days to get this things insurance card. Her first accessory order is the Husky Weather Beater floor mats. Should be here soon.

The promised photo attached.

looks good. Does this mean long road trips , Wife Driving ????

Step bars. We were hoping a set would solve the doors packing with ice and snow. Not going to happen says my Truck Gear guy. Just bad seed.

Who designs this stuff. Plastic exterior to prevent rock chips but an overhang that literally packs salted ice between the door and door sills below the drains so the door stays full?

For now. We keep a large towel handy to wipe the door interior off at each exit. And a package of pipe cleaners to clear the drains.

Hello, GM anybody work there? Function and form can live in the same house kids. Sometimes being "Grumpy" is just good common sense. :crackup:

Edited by Grumpy Bear

I haven't a photo yet. She isn't out of it more than a few minutes a day. Husky matts installed. Nicely made. Nicely finished. Great fit and look very functional. Good buy.

Edited by Grumpy Bear

• 3 weeks later...

Took it Deegan's today to let Jason have a look and determine if it is job he wanted. Yep! Goes in Wednesday for a Face Lift. The line between wrench and body man is getting blurry these days. I'm thankful for that.

Edited by Grumpy Bear

• 1 month later...

Your 2.4l takes 0w20? We just bought a 2017 Equinox with the 2.4l and it's spec'd for 5w30?

We got the full set of Husky liners too, they fit good but the wife complained they are slippery...get them dirty I told her...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Your 2.4l takes 0w20? We just bought a 2017 Equinox with the 2.4l and it's spec'd for 5w30?

We got the full set of Husky liners too, they fit good but the wife complained they are slippery...get them dirty I told her...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I use 0W20 or 5W20 Quaker State UD Syn. in all the cars and trucks no matter what the spec is. My 98 Honda Civic HX called for 10W30 and it got 20W for 300,000 trouble fee miles. Honda told me I would have all sorts of trouble with the VETC. Not a whimper. Then again I might be the only fella on the planet that runs Red LIne automotive 10W40 in an Electra Glide and in an 883 Sportster. I got stories about those last two. :crackup: