Lessons Learned When Buying Used

emtrichel1213

So, I returned from my second deployment in October of this year, and a week later bought my 2013 Silverado. After shopping online in the weeks leading up to my return home, I found this one about an hour away from me, and when I went to look at it, I fell in love. 2013, 4x4, 97k miles, and that's all I really knew about it. The dealer didn't know much other than the first and only owner before him was a commercial ranch in Northern California. I test drove the truck, and fell deeper in love with it. $23k later, I'm driving it home.

Lesson #1: Take your prospect vehicle to a shop before buying! About 45 minutes into the drive home, the brakes are SCREAMING. Naturally, I was pissed. I called the dealership multiple times, to no avail. So the next day I take it into a shop nearby. The manager comes into the lounge after looking at my truck, looks at me and says "You drove an hour on these?" I say, "Yeah.. that bad?" He replies "I can't let you drive that thing back out of here. Pads and rotors." So, of course, $600 later, I'm furious that I bought that junk for $23k! But eventually I get over it.

Lesson #2: REALLY do deep research on the prospect vehicle, and don't stop researching even after buying. Fast forward to two days ago (when I found this forum) and you'll find me sitting at a desk on 24 hour duty, bored out of my mind researching everything I can about this truck that I warmed back up to after my first hiccup. I learned on this forum about the RPO codes that can be found in the glovebox - and so I look up each and every code. What I didn't expect was to find my truck with the Z71 OffRoad package as well as all the All Star Edition luxuries and towing capabilities! I also found the original sale receipt for this truck in the glovebox, which states that the original owner had paid $38k MSRP for this truck. So right now, I'm thinking that $23k wasn't too bad... and of course, I ordered Z71 decals for my truck (I've wanted one since I was a kid).

Overall moral, find someone with expertise when looking for ANY vehicle, but especially used.

You have to go with what you're happy with and what you can afford. Sometimes you'll make a good choice, sometimes unforeseen things happen. I learned about negative equity when I went to trade in the '92 Jimmy I bought used for my first Silverado. Thankfully I buckled down and paid the truck off early.

I have always bought used vehicles. I buy them with around 40k miles and wait till a clean one comes along. Some of my purchases have had original tires and I use this as an indicator of how well it was taken care of. If the front tires are worn on the edge I know they weren't rotated. So what else was ignored? Might pass on that one.

I remove the oil fill cap and run a finger around the inside and see what comes out.

I have them put the vehicle on a lift and check it out thoroughly.

I go over the entire vehicle in good light and point out every defect I find. I bring up that with 40k miles it will need tires if originals, brakes soon, shocks soon, differential fluids and use it as a bargaining tool. How old is the battery, air filter changed(I check it)? How well they detailed it also gives me info about their way of doing business.

I never buy first visit to the lot, always at the end of the month so if they are short on sales they will bargain more. I refuse to play their game as much as I can, make a fair offer after doing my research considering the overall condition of the vehicle. If I get a counter offer or sales BS I tell them I made a fair offer, all I want to know is do we have a deal? I don't have to buy from you.

I'm polite at all times and walk away if the deal, price or sales BS gets to me. There's always another vehicle. :happysad:

I have always bought used vehicles. I buy them with around 40k miles and wait till a clean one comes along. Some of my purchases have had original tires and I use this as an indicator of how well it was taken care of. If the front tires are worn on the edge I know they weren't rotated. So what else was ignored? Might pass on that one.

I remove the oil fill cap and run a finger around the inside and see what comes out.

I have them put the vehicle on a lift and check it out thoroughly.

I go over the entire vehicle in good light and point out every defect I find. I bring up that with 40k miles it will need tires if originals, brakes soon, shocks soon, differential fluids and use it as a bargaining tool. How old is the battery, air filter changed(I check it)? How well they detailed it also gives me info about their way of doing business.

I never buy first visit to the lot, always at the end of the month so if they are short on sales they will bargain more. I refuse to play their game as much as I can, make a fair offer after doing my research considering the overall condition of the vehicle. If I get a counter offer or sales BS I tell them I made a fair offer, all I want to know is do we have a deal? I don't have to buy from you.

I'm polite at all times and walk away if the deal, price or sales BS gets to me. There's always another vehicle. :happysad:

are your services for hire? you detailed exactly how I would like to do it, but I don't have the patience. With the internet resources available today, It seems the dealers are pricing their vehicles way more reasonably and less interested in "bargaining". When I have asked they pretty much told me, if you don't like the price, someone will come in tomorrow and buy it.

coke813

If they told me that I would just leave. Wouldn't want to deal with them. First I'm never in a situation where I need a vehicle NOW. I can easily walk away.

If you find a vehicle you're interested in take your time and visit a few times to show interest. If it's still there it's not selling, your advantage.

The purchase of my 2012 Sierra in my signature took 6 days to close the deal from the day I looked at it. I went back 3 times and on the 6 day made an offer, they brought in the sales manager who countered and I brought up my before mentioned bargaining points. I said deal or no deal that's all I want to know. The dealer was close so I told them I'm going home, when you have the papers ready for me to sign call me.

I used to have some friends that were car salesmen years ago. They told me the average new vehicle had about $4-$5k profit built in and used $1400-$2000, how true today I don't know.

Never bring up you want to trade your vehicle, establish the price of the vehicle to be purchased, new or used first, then talk trade in. This prevents number shuffling to their advantage.

Same with financing, if they ask if you'll be financing reply maybe. Leave them hanging. Another dealer money maker.

All I know is I'm spending my money so it's going to be my way or the highway.

People that spend hours buying a vehicle are nuts, 6 + hours in a dealer I've heard of. Could be bad credit.

All I know is I'm spending my money so it's going to be my way or the highway.

People that spend hours buying a vehicle are nuts, 6 + hours in a dealer I've heard of. Could be bad credit.

Very good info. everyone should be aware of this. I'll try to keep it all in mind soon. My wife is looking for a new(er) vehicle like a GMC terrain. Hopefully 2014-2015.

I have only purchased one new vehicle in my life- this truck. And prior to that I never spend more than 9,000 on a used vehicle. So I'm not used to bargaining for the high dollars!

Want funny looks when your at the dealership.

I make them put any used vehicle we are really interested in up on the lift and remove all of the wheels so I can inspect it.

Then make them fix everything I don't like at there expense if the squawk I walk!!!!!!

Want funny looks when your at the dealership.

I make them put any used vehicle we are really interested in up on the lift and remove all of the wheels so I can inspect it.

Then make them fix everything I don't like at there expense if the squawk I walk!!!!!!

I'm suprised they even comply with that and let you in the shop for insurance liability reasons.

Congrats on getting the truck! I also learned to always have a pre-purchase inspection done and not at the dealership but at an independent repair facility. The GM Certified thing means absolutely nothing. NOTHING. Same with any other manufacturer pre certified POS program. I hope they put good brake hardware on there for ya. What brand rotors and pads?

nice truck, anonymously unannounced RPO special codes!

My own has a z71 sticker, and not a z71. :)

I make used buying seem easy. I am a mechanic, and was a crew chief.

Engines/drivetrain.. a lot of miles with gm iron. Just sounds alone, allow me to judge.

For trucks, my choice..

ignore stickers.. rpo codes go with or without.

I have never purchased a truck that had a plow (I am a corvetter like truck owner - it is weird .. whatever)

ignore tires. 1 in 10000 trucks actually rotates them.

the few big things a pre inspection is critical is drivetrain. Suspension, balljoints, driveshaft, transfer, front and rear diff.

brakes are actually a 50 dollar job.

That 600 you paid is insane.

I bought from a dealer this last old one. the record and true enthusiasm of previous owners, real work.. a real sale. I take on steel work. I love it. That is just one of my strange attribute.

I could flip more than a double..

and never do.

A great thing to do is find the honesty of your trucks mishaps or quirks or outright bad items. the net has been great for this.

brakes are actually a 50 dollar job.

I would like to know how you can get your brakes done for $50. Just the pads and rotors for 1 axle cost more than that even if you do it yourself. if you find parts that cheap in the junkyard maybe...

If you pay a shop to do front and back with all new parts.... different story. not everyone has time or knowledge to do their own brakes.

Congrats on getting the truck! I also learned to always have a per-purchase inspection done and not at the dealership but at an independent repair facility. The GM Certified thing means absolutely nothing. NOTHING. Same with any other manufacturer pre certified POS program. I hope they put good brake hardware on there for ya. What brand rotors and pads?

Not true at all, it is an extension of the 3 year/36k bumper to bumper warranty. I have had several things fixed, on a couple of my GM Certified trucks, that otherwise would have not be covered due to being past the original bumper to bumper warranty. Also, a dealer doesn't just throw the GM Certification on any old vehicle because GM has to bare the cost of any issues during the warranty period.

I have always bought used vehicles. I buy them with around 40k miles and wait till a clean one comes along. Some of my purchases have had original tires and I use this as an indicator of how well it was taken care of. If the front tires are worn on the edge I know they weren't rotated. So what else was ignored?

Excellent advice.

"So what else was ignored" - Good point.

Many times it is the little things that say a lot.

Check for both factory keys and FOB's.

I always check the engine oil. If it is dark/black - this seller never followed the oil change schedule.

If the oil is down. Then either the engine burns oil or leaks oil.

Look at the automatic transmission fluid. For most - it should be pink. If not - no buy.

And check the glove box. Sometimes papers are left behind that can be advantageous.

There are many other small items to look at that can show how a used vehicle was treated.

But bottom line, if you are not experienced then absolutely take to an independent shop and put on lift.

And do a Carfax. (Yes, not perfect) but a tool nonetheless.

This one was 10 years old or thereabouts when I purchased used. 38,000 one owner no accident miles. Zero rust. Rides and drives as new.

2002%20Chevrolet%202_zpsfkpxailn.jpg

When I buy the negotiations go as quick as they will agree. My Tahoe took under about an hour, everything else has taken several hours, but then again I have just financed one just for extra rebates. Still couldn't figure that one out, got $500 extra rebate from Chase and I only paid $83 in interest.

No wonder the banks went bust.

Archived