Ford Announces Hybrid F-150 Pickup - Why It Just Might Catch On

Gorehamj

post-139450-0-90663800-1483634612_thumb.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
1-5-2017

The Consumer electronics show has become one of the biggest car shows each year. Like it or not, many people link cars and trucks with electronic gadgets and this show is the one at which automakers try to impress techies with what they have, and what they will have. Part of Ford's deluge of press releases included an announcement that the F-150 will be offered with a hybrid drivetrain option "By 2020..."

General Motors has offered the Silverado and Sierra with a hybrid drivetrain off and on since 2004. We even have a member at GM-trucks.com (FiveOFord89) who owns one. Currently, the hybrid trucks from GM are "On", but just in California, and just in very limited numbers (with rear wheel drive only if our memory is right on that point).

Kidding around about low-selling products is all well and good, but if the corporate average fuel economy goals and zero emissions mandates hold up over the coming four to eight years, every automaker is going to electrify almost every part of their product line. Energy recapture via light or full hybrid drive is the most proven, and most cost-effective way for automakers to improve fuel economy. Many who follow green car topics have identified pickup trucks as ideal candidates for hybrid drives. Adding torque at startup is something hybrids do well, and every pickup owner loves low-end torque. Trucks also have more room for storage of batteries than do subcompact cars and cars in general. Frankly, hybrid drive trucks are a no-brainer.

Aside from the fuel efficiency and torque gains, Ford says the F-150 hybrid will include a mobile generator. Every contractor that has ever worked at my home has had trouble with power from my exterior sockets (which have an inside the home switch). We all know stand-alone power on a jobsite is always welcome.

Like all technology, the first use of a new idea is not always its gateway to success. Turbocharged engines have been around for the better part of a century, but in this tester's opinion, Ford and Hyundai were the first to make them work perfectly (lag-free, regular unleaded fuel, real-world usability) in mainstream cars. One thing about Ford this news reporter has noticed is that the company does not kid around when it announces coming fuel economy advantages. Decades ago Ford told the media that it would soon be selling more high mileage "SUVs" than it does gas-guzzlers and the Escape made that a reality. When Ford told the world that its V-6 EcoBoost turbos would replace V8s it was serious and followed through. It will be interesting to see what shape Ford's hybrid F-150 takes in 2020. With 2018 model year vehicles being revealed now, that is just two model years away.

Well The GMC was the One I tried to buy in 2016..........Couldn't even get a California Dealer to order me one? Was laughed at in AZ for asking about it? Ended up with straight gas SLT!

COULD CARE LESS ABOUT FERD"S PLANS.....They are years behind GM in Electric vehicles in my book and the well the V-6 Turbos's are a JOKE.....Coming undone at 60K? GM will have adaptive fuel management! With weight savings/total control over every cylinder combustion and Batteries under the console GM full sizers will reign champ!

Archived