2017 Duramax 837 miles and broken down at the dealer

2017 Denali 2500HD Duramax, less than 1 week off the dealer lot. Truck has 837 miles and is completely stock. While driving to lunch today, less than 5 miles, the truck made a horrific metallic noise from under the hood and dramatically lost power. No engine light, no codes, no faults as verified by the dealer. Truck will not accelerate and will not even go 30mph at wide open throttle. Dealer is telling me they don't know what is going on and that they needed some time. There is no reduced power warning either. The truck idles perfectly but is undriveable otherwise. Anyone else had any problems? Super frustrated as one can imagine, I traded my 2011 F250 diesel in on this truck because I didn't want to have any issues as I do a lot of towing. The duramax has yet to be hooked to a trailer. For now the dealer has me in a rental 2017 F250 diesel but I would much rather prefer my truck back. Anyone with insiget would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are one or two 2017 Diesel owners on here but you might have better luck over on duramaxforum.com I believe there are close to 5 or 6 over there who have the new 2017s and that site caters to the diesel. Good luck! Oh.. and don't worry. Go visit the Powerjoke forums and you'll see quite a few posts from new truck owners with major issues too. I swing by em every week or so just to keep me happy in knowing my Duramax isn't as shitty as the Joke, but does share some common issues with diesels from Ford and Dodge.

2017 Denali 2500HD Duramax, less than 1 week off the dealer lot. Truck has 837 miles and is completely stock. While driving to lunch today, less than 5 miles, the truck made a horrific metallic noise from under the hood and dramatically lost power. No engine light, no codes, no faults as verified by the dealer. Truck will not accelerate and will not even go 30mph at wide open throttle. Dealer is telling me they don't know what is going on and that they needed some time. There is no reduced power warning either. The truck idles perfectly but is undriveable otherwise. Anyone else had any problems? Super frustrated as one can imagine, I traded my 2011 F250 diesel in on this truck because I didn't want to have any issues as I do a lot of towing. The duramax has yet to be hooked to a trailer. For now the dealer has me in a rental 2017 F250 diesel but I would much rather prefer my truck back. Anyone with insiget would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance

The GM dealer has you in a 2017 Ford diesel as a rental? A good friend of mine just purchased a 2017 Ford F-250 diesel..his did have a service engine lamp and reduced power but they put him in a Ford as a rental not a GM.

Hope they figure it out, likely something simple.

Thanks for the fast reply guys! I'm hopeful it's an easy resolve as well.

The dealer offered me a Buick rental which I declinded. The sent me to enterprise and are covering the bill, the only truck they offered was the Ford so I wasn't going to argue for now.

Damn sorry to hear of your problems.

And just as I was about to look for a new truck myself.

Was hoping to only read how great the GMC diesels are.

Had a Ford that completely scared me away from ever going near another ford diesel. Currently in a Dodge gasser that has treated me well.

Trying to decide between another Dodge or a GMC.

And gas or diesel.

Hope they fix it quickly.

How is your loaner ford to drive?

Diesel gelled?

Low today was 26, in all the years I've only had problems with my one diesel tractor around -4 with gelled fuel. Fwiw, the truck was on its second tank of fuel and it was bought from the same station I just filled our international truck from and that truck is running just fine.

Damn sorry to hear of your problems.

And just as I was about to look for a new truck myself.

Was hoping to only read how great the GMC diesels are.

Had a Ford that completely scared me away from ever going near another ford diesel. Currently in a Dodge gasser that has treated me well.

Trying to decide between another Dodge or a GMC.

And gas or diesel.

Hope they fix it quickly.

How is your loaner ford to drive?

I'm unimpressed with the Ford, it's much louder than the gmc and feels a bit like a tin can honestly. The Ford is an xlt model so I don't know if it's fair to compare to the Denali. Coming from a Ford lariat diesel I wouldn't consider this particular xlt model that I have as a loaner

There is also a know problem with the transmission doing a "limp home" in 3rd gear - which would really take the oomph out of the drivetrain. I hope it is not an engine problem - I have one of these beasts on order right now.

I guarantee they will be getting an engineer involved with this. They will get it fixed up. between GM and the dealer. GM has what they call "action centers" within their TAC (Technical Assistance Center) when they launch new products/engines/transmissions. I wouldn't doubt the dealer (hopefully) has been in contact with them.

Sounds like gas in the deisel fuel. Happen to me once in my 98 ford. The deisel pump was gas filled. Lucky that model had two tanks. Drain the gas into our 500 gal fuel tank. The truck idle fine and clattered under acceleration.

Spoke to the dealer just an hour ago or so. They are telling me that the turbo came apart and they are waiting on a response from GM engineers to decide on a repair direction. At this point I don't have a lot of confidence in this truck but I will give them a chance to make things right. I would expect that the charge cooler be replaced at the least along with the turbo? Is this unreasonable, should I approach this differently?

Spoke to the dealer just an hour ago or so. They are telling me that the turbo came apart and they are waiting on a response from GM engineers to decide on a repair direction. At this point I don't have a lot of confidence in this truck but I will give them a chance to make things right. I would expect that the charge cooler be replaced at the least along with the turbo? Is this unreasonable, should I approach this differently?

A failed turbo does make sense based on your symptoms.

As long as a batch of oil didn't make it into the intercooler, it should be fine. They are very near impossible to clean otherwise. It might be worthwhile questioning whether it needs replaced just for peace of mind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I wouldn't lose much confidence. There will always be a speed bump here or there first year of an engine/transmission/vehicle. $HIT happens unfortunately. The consumer sometimes ends up being the one that finds the bugs though. Good that the engineering team got involved as I'm sure they will take much interest as to finding out what happened to the turbocharger.

After speaking to the dealer today, they are back pedaling with the diagnosis. They are now telling me that they cannot confirm the turbo failed and are still awaiting help from GM for further technical assistance. They can provide no indication on when to expect a repair plan. I've spent several hours on the phone and have finally got a hold from someone in the corporate office, I've formally requested that they replace this vehicle. At this point I'm not willing to accept repairs to a truck that is less than 2 weeks old and has cost 70k$. The truck can not reach even a highway speed and would be unsafe to drive, this should qualify for a lemon after 5 more days elapse with my vehicle in the shop. Really Really disappointed experience wise with my first GMC truck.

Archived