2017 Duramax 837 miles and broken down at the dealer

I just spoke to the dealer this afternoon. Engineering has requested that they replace the turbo, they have not addressed my concern of metal being inside the engine as a result of the turbo failure. The service manager tells me that parts for this vehicle are "restricted" as the available parts are being used for production. From what the dealer is telling me, engineering is requesting a special release of the turbo assembly from production to use for repairs to my vehicle. While this is progress, the dealer tells me not to expect anything this week and assures me that they will contact me on Monday of next week (1/23) with an update regardless of where we stand.
I continue my patience...

This all seems a little lame on GM's part. They don't make the turbos. It is outsourced to Honeywell/Garrett. Borg Warner, or whoever. They should figure on a 5% replacement rate at the least and have that many more turbos made up to put in the parts channel. Detroit hung a lot of commercial owners out in the wind over the same kind of thing a few years ago.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just spoke with customer care from GM. They tell me that the dealer recieved the replacement turbo this afternoon, the field service engineer was able to pull the required parts from production for the repairs. It seems that this must of went to a fairly high priority for them to be able to source the parts this quickly? While I'm happy to see this type of progress I'm considerably concerned as they will not acknowledge my concern for debris from the failure potentially affecting future reliability... I will be stopping at the dealer tomorrow afternoon in hopes to see the progress first hand.

This seems par for the course with GM; my brother in law had a similar run around with an early 2000s Impala. GM eventually bought it back and special ordered a new one, but he had to keep on them at every level from the dealer up to the district manager. Document everything communicated, get as much as you can in writing, and stay persistent.

I visited the dealer yesterday afternoon. They tell me that they have ordered a new charge cooler and will clean the cold side piping, upon my inspection I found the cold side piping covered in oil and littered with aluminum fragments from the compressor wheel. The turbine wheel is also damaged and I am fearful that the catalytic converter also has some debris inside of it? When looking in the drain port for the turbo, if you force the shaft to spin it looks like the journal bearing turns with the shaft and is partially seized.
FWIW, GM engineering has asked that they turbo be overnighted back to Detroit via FedEx for inspection. As I type this I expect that they have received the parts by now.

I have zero confidence in this vehicle and feel kind of stuck given all the circumstance. I definitely feel worn down dealing with all of this, hell the reason I bought a new truck was not to have any issues...

WOW!!! At this point you have demonstrated a ton of patience! Good for you. But there is a point where it's time to put the hammer down and tell them to keep the dumb thing and move. You might just be at that point...

Wow. You have the patience of Job. I'd get it back, drive the hell out of it and trade it before the powertrain warranty is done. You should have plenty of time for any issues to arise by then. I think they are doing what they can for you, within GM guidelines. Give them the benefit of the doubt and see how it all plays out first.

Today is day 20 and as far as my research has provided me I am eligible to file a claim under the NJ Lemon Law. I've spoken to GM customer service and requested a decision today to see if they will replace my truck, I may be forced to go the route of the lemon law although I would prefer not to. I have serious reservations to the reliability of this truck and at this point it is adversely affecting my business. I will post back with any further updates.

Additional pictures from my last visit to the dealer. Note the damaged turbine wheel and oil/metal speckled in the intake tubing. I tried to take pictures from inside the bearing assembly but they didn't come out very well.

post-167443-0-10965300-1485379249_thumb.jpg

post-167443-0-53988200-1485379249_thumb.jpg

post-167443-0-98186900-1485379249_thumb.jpg

post-167443-0-85314600-1485379250_thumb.jpg

Not sure how similar the VW TDI turbo is as far as air routing, but when the turbo gernaded, lots of damage. And most was in the exhaust system. I would not be surprised if your exhaust system has some damage.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

The dealer called me last night to tell me that my truck will be done today. They have not addressed my concerns with debris in the oil, for that matter they haven't even bothered to change the oil in the vehicle. I am less then happy at this point considering what has happened thus far. They also refuse to address any concern that debris or oil may have gone into the exhaust system. I will wait to see what they offer me for compensation and report back, I will also let everyone know how I make out getting the truck back. I would at least expect some sort of extended warranty at this point?

They may not owe you anything more than a repaired truck. Even if your business and personal life and confidence in the truck has been drastically affected.

They may not owe you anything more than a repaired truck. Even if your business and personal life and confidence in the truck has been drastically affected.

I can assure you that if this is the case this will be my first and last GM product that I ever buy. I am simply disgusted in this entire process!

Today is day 20 and as far as my research has provided me I am eligible to file a claim under the NJ Lemon Law. I've spoken to GM customer service and requested a decision today to see if they will replace my truck, I may be forced to go the route of the lemon law although I would prefer not to. I have serious reservations to the reliability of this truck and at this point it is adversely affecting my business. I will post back with any further updates.

I completed a lemon law in Florida on the 2014 Denali 1500 I had and I believe one of the qualifiers was 'out of service more than 14 days.... Keep your paperwork for everything and document to a T. Pay attention to things like, where the notice needs to be mailed and how.. Mine had to be registered mail, not certified... You have to notify GM in writing within a certain time frame and they have to reply back to you in a certain timeframe... I had to go to arbitration, and I easily won because there were so many things wrong.. And was out of service nearly 60 days. I took the opportunity to upgrade to the 2500HD with the same motor you have...

I can assure you that if this is the case this will be my first and last GM product that I ever buy. I am simply disgusted in this entire process!

It is a similar situation, though not exact, that I refuse to allow a Cummins engine in any of my commercial trucks. I got burned pretty bad on two ISX engines that I doubt I can ever consider a Cummins product again. I do understand your position.

It is a similar situation, though not exact, that I refuse to allow a Cummins engine in any of my commercial trucks. I got burned pretty bad on two ISX engines that I doubt I can ever consider a Cummins product again. I do understand your position.

Dad had a T-600 with a Cummins, that thing was nothing but a problem constantly. His next T-600 had a CAT in it and it was a great truck.

Archived