bearing noise in 4x4

My 16 2500hd silverado has a constant noise in 4 wheel drive. it sounds like a bad bearing/gear. No noise in 2wd. it is like a whine that goes up in pitch when accelerating and when coasting down a hill it makes a lower pitch growl. truck only has 4,000 miles. Any Ideas? I would love to pinpoint it to make sure the repairs are diagnosed correctly. I will take it in to the dealer when the weather gets better.

Thanks

Scott

Do you have the manual shift tcase or electric?

I know they have a TSB on mine for 4wd noise that has no resolution. At one point it was a bushing in the shift mechanism, but they since retracted that. I had mine in twice for it, and they finally told me not to worry about it...bought the truck new in 2012, sit with 95k on the clock.

Supposedly no damage or wear from the noise, although it sounds like a bearing in the front axle or the 4wd portion of the transfercase is about to blow apart.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Mine makes the same noise, dont think you will find anything wrong. It just different gears heavier duty than the 1500. My 1500 was quiet in 4hi and when I switched over to 2500 it was noticeable. But I had it checked very thoroughly by a good dealer that actually cared. I have since moved on got used to it dont worry about it anymore. I use my 4 hi at least once a week all year round its doing fine. Spooky427 thats a sharp looking truck you got there.

Thanks for the compliment Crankman! My last truck was a F350 7.3 and you could hear it when it was in 4 high but not this noticeable. I will check the T/C fluid and know the service manager at the local dealer and will let them check it out. I have no issue with it if it ends up being the way these are made. We do get some snow now and again, so I don't need this thing to break at an inopportune time.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond and appreciate any further feedback.

Scott

Spooky427 I just bought almost the same truck two months ago and the first time I put it in 4x4 I said the same thing. Not sure if you ever got an answer to your question? It sounds and feels like granny gear in my grandpa's old 78. My 2011 2500 never sounded like this and I use to drive truck and trailer down the high in 4wheel hi at 60 no problems ever.(very snowy/slushy roads). The new truck is fantastic but the noise is a little concerning.

EbaBlacknchrome, I have not brought it to the dealer yet. You describe it perfect with the granny gear! I did check the transfer case fluid and it is a little low, but not that low. I will pick up some dextron 6 next time I go in to town. I want to put the right stuff in it. I should be talking to the dealer on a couple of weeks so I will have them drive it and let me know. It won't bother me if it is just supposed to be that loud. if it is in 4X4 i'm usually not going that fast.

Scott

EbaBlacknchrome, I have not brought it to the dealer yet. You describe it perfect with the granny gear! I did check the transfer case fluid and it is a little low, but not that low. I will pick up some dextron 6 next time I go in to town. I want to put the right stuff in it. I should be talking to the dealer on a couple of weeks so I will have them drive it and let me know. It won't bother me if it is just supposed to be that loud. if it is in 4X4 i'm usually not going that fast.

Scott

I have the same noise in my 2015, took to the dealer and they stated that the 2500's and 3500's had a real whine to them in 4x4. That's all I got from the one Chevy dealer where I live, next one is 400miles away so I'm curios to see what your dealer says.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep my 2011 was very different in 4hi. yes my 16 has a whine. It has a very different feel in 4wd. I have 1500 miles on it so far. Like you guys said when it goes in for oil change Ill have them look at it. Sounds like its just how they are built. Not completely confidence inspiring on those snowy days.

Not sure if anyone changed out their Tcase fluid early, but I like to change out the factory fill on all my drive train before 5000 miles. When I did the Tcase the magnetic plug looked like someone had stuck a cat's tail in an electrical socket with all the metal shavings on the plug. This was true for both a previous 1500 and my current 2500. I haven't had any noise from my 2500 Tcase and it now has about 24K miles on it.

As I indicated earlier, there is a TSB out for at least my 2012 for tcase noise...it sounds like a pinion bearing (coast sounds different from load). Under load you would think either the front end or the transfercase had a bearing about to implode. I don't use 4wd often, but when I do its for miles and miles of snow covered roads (which makes this noise particularly annoying) or towing/hauling heavy offroad (think cutting firewood).

I have nearly 100k on my 2012 and have had it in three times for the noise...the first was the TSB acknowledging the noise, the next was a TSB for a fix, and the last was a TSB stating the fix didn't work and there was no other plans to address the issue.

You can probably look those up, and see if they cover your truck.

I gave up after try number three, the fluid in the front differential and the transfercase look fine, I get very little wear metal on the magnets, and the noise hasn't gotten worse in that time. I'm not going to worry about it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk