bearing noise in 4x4

Normal. Mine makes noise in 4hi since day one. I've drained the case once, no abnormalities.

#PIP5245A: Whine Noise Operating In 4wd - (Feb 17, 2016)

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern

Some customers may comment on various noises associated with 4wd operation.

Recommendation/Instructions

One of the many advantages of the new 2015 MY pick-ups is the cabin is quieter compared to previous model years. For that reason, when the vehicle is in 4WD mode (HI or Low), there may be some noticeable sound from the transfer case. This sound may be described as a whining. This sound can be described as being a very broad band frequency.

With the vehicle in 4WD mode, this sound will be present on both acceleration (30-40 mph) and deceleration. The sound will increase when driving on dry pavement in 4WD. It can also be identified since it disappears or reduces considerably in 2WD mode.

Before beginning any diagnosis it is imperative to review the Symptoms - Transfer Case in SI and perform the necessary inspections. In all cases the complaint vehicle should be compared to another like vehicle before beginning any repairs.

This information applies to 2015 and 2016 model year vehicles listed above.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

When the 2015 model year started, they changed the chain in the gas transfer case to the same, stronger chain out of the diesel case from the 2014 trucks. More noise, yet much more robust. GM has had some returned by their request for testing that were replaced under warranty. Between the supplier and GM, there is no fault.

2015 2500 and 3500 trucks with a gas or diesel engine may produce an audible noise from the transfer case when in four wheel drive.

This high pitched whine may be heard on accel and decel between 25 and 45 mph but typically, it’s louder on decel. It is more noticeable on gas engine vehicles because of the lower engine noise level.

Use chassis ears to determine if the noise is from the transfer case. If it is, it’s very likely normal noise. Try comparing it to a like vehicle to determine if the noise is abnormal. 2015 HD trucks may exhibit this noise because they use a wider, heavier chain with rounded pins which tends to produce more noise. This is the same HD transfer case that has been used behind the Duramax diesel for several years. Because the new truck has greatly reduced wind and road noise, this transfer case noise may now be heard in the cabin.

The heavy duty chain is the only internal difference between the heavy duty case and the light duty case. It provides increased durability for heavier load capability.

Several of these warrantied T cases have been sent back to the manufacturer. The cases are checked out and then installed into one of their test vehicles. The vehicle is then road tested with that Warrantied T case. Every one of these cases was found to meet all noise criteria.

Edited by 15HDriver

My 16 2500hd silverado has a constant noise in 4 wheel drive. it sounds like a bad bearing/gear. No noise in 2wd. it is like a whine that goes up in pitch when accelerating and when coasting down a hill it makes a lower pitch growl. truck only has 4,000 miles. Any Ideas? I would love to pinpoint it to make sure the repairs are diagnosed correctly. I will take it in to the dealer when the weather gets better.

Thanks

Scott

Scott does your truck have the auto option on your 4X4 option???? because if it does and you leave it in auto you just blew out your locker in your front axle its warrantied if your still covered pass it along only use auto 4X4 in wet conditions i know this becaue i work at a gm dealer and we have to fix it all the time people dont listen.

Scott does your truck have the auto option on your 4X4 option???? because if it does and you leave it in auto you just blew out your locker in your front axle its warrantied if your still covered pass it along only use auto 4X4 in wet conditions i know this becaue i work at a gm dealer and we have to fix it all the time people dont listen.

No it does not. Just a 3 position switch on dash. 2wd, 4hi 4lo. I only used it in the snow 3 times. I never drive it in 4wheel drive when on dry pavement. Last time it was not as bad as the first time.

Scott

Dang not saying there is an issue but thats weird one cant say ive ran acrossed one like that might just be normal all my chevys make some noise but do notice the new ones make a little more noise

There is no locker in the front axle, not even a limited slip...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Quoting myself from the top of page 2 for any that may have missed it:

Normal. Mine makes noise in 4hi since day one. I've drained the case once, no abnormalities.

When the 2015 model year started, they changed the chain in the gas transfer case to the same, stronger chain out of the diesel case from the 2014 trucks. More noise, yet much more robust. GM has had some returned by their request for testing that were replaced under warranty. Between the supplier and GM, there is no fault.

#PIP5245A: Whine Noise Operating In 4wd - (Feb 17, 2016)

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern

Some customers may comment on various noises associated with 4wd operation.

Recommendation/Instructions

One of the many advantages of the new 2015 MY pick-ups is the cabin is quieter compared to previous model years. For that reason, when the vehicle is in 4WD mode (HI or Low), there may be some noticeable sound from the transfer case. This sound may be described as a whining. This sound can be described as being a very broad band frequency.

With the vehicle in 4WD mode, this sound will be present on both acceleration (30-40 mph) and deceleration. The sound will increase when driving on dry pavement in 4WD. It can also be identified since it disappears or reduces considerably in 2WD mode.

Before beginning any diagnosis it is imperative to review the Symptoms - Transfer Case in SI and perform the necessary inspections. In all cases the complaint vehicle should be compared to another like vehicle before beginning any repairs.

This information applies to 2015 and 2016 model year vehicles listed above.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

2015 2500 and 3500 trucks with a gas or diesel engine may produce an audible noise from the transfer case when in four wheel drive.

This high pitched whine may be heard on accel and decel between 25 and 45 mph but typically, it’s louder on decel. It is more noticeable on gas engine vehicles because of the lower engine noise level.

Use chassis ears to determine if the noise is from the transfer case. If it is, it’s very likely normal noise. Try comparing it to a like vehicle to determine if the noise is abnormal. 2015 HD trucks may exhibit this noise because they use a wider, heavier chain with rounded pins which tends to produce more noise. This is the same HD transfer case that has been used behind the Duramax diesel for several years. Because the new truck has greatly reduced wind and road noise, this transfer case noise may now be heard in the cabin.

The heavy duty chain is the only internal difference between the heavy duty case and the light duty case. It provides increased durability for heavier load capability.

Several of these warrantied T cases have been sent back to the manufacturer. The cases are checked out and then installed into one of their test vehicles. The vehicle is then road tested with that Warrantied T case. Every one of these cases was found to meet all noise criteria.

Edited by 15HDriver
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I had a noise when taking my foot off the gas and the truck would start to slow down. It seemed like the truck was fighting and the rpm's would seem high. At 600 miles, I took in and found out my transfer case was bad. There was a retaining ring that failed and allowed a bearing to move. The dealer fixed under warranty. I have the manual floor shifter.

Edited by WIarcheryhunter

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone. This seems like an ongoing problem. I have a 2016 2500 Silverado and when you are over 30 mph and let off gas it whines bad. It has 25000 on it but it pretty much did it from day one but had gotten progressively worse. I had it in the dealership yesterday and they drove and said yes that it does whine more then normal. They called me back later and said my front tires where starting to cup so they rotated them and said the noise when down by half. I think there is something wrong because I rotate my tires every other oil change(3,000 miles)and they are cupping? It's frustrating to hear this noise because I drive a 2015 f250 at work and it's a plow truck and it does not make any noise at all.

Edited by TroyS

• 1 year later...

I am considering purchasing a 2017 GMC Denali 2500 and experienced this same sound when in 4WD Hi.  It sounds as if you can hear the gears turning, but fighting the resistance of the load both while accelerating and decelerating.  No noise in 2WD.  My brother has a 2500 Sierra and he doesn't hear any noise in 4WD.

Has there been any resolution to any of your issues?  Or was this deemed normal?

• 11 months later...

i have a 2019 diesel GMC Denali.  Has anyone had this actualy fixed. It never made a noise until 30,000 miles.  Pretty loud noise when i let off accelerator in 4 wheel drive.  Dealership said they replaced the oil and not sure what else to do?   Again has anyone had this actually fixed.  

• 1 month later...
On 1/8/2021 at 10:46 AM, afransen said:

i have a 2019 diesel GMC Denali.  Has anyone had this actualy fixed. It never made a noise until 30,000 miles.  Pretty loud noise when i let off accelerator in 4 wheel drive.  Dealership said they replaced the oil and not sure what else to do?   Again has anyone had this actually fixed.  

Not sure there’s anything TO fix. My 2018 does it as well; every piece of info I’ve read online, including the TSB already posted above, suggests it’s normal. I’ve never owned or been in a truck with a gear whine like ours in 4WD; but then again, I’ve never owned a truck with as quiet of a ride either, so...