PJ Dump Trailer

Cowpie

Hey guys, anyone have any appreciable experience with the PJ dump trailer line? Looking at getting a 83"x12' 10K Low Pro Dump. Seems like a good quality trailer, but have no experience with them to determine reliability and longevity. Has some very nice standard features like barn door and spread tailgate, scissor hydraulic lift, and HD ramps standard.

http://www.pjtrailers.com/trailers/dl-83-inch-low-pro-dump

My brother's work bought one of those (not sure if the same brand) and he borrowed it to move some furniture. He said the trailer was really built well for heavy use, more than what his company was using it for. Anyway he pulled it three hours each way behind his '14 Lt with 3.08 rearend with no problem. He said you almost couldnt tell the trailer was there. I did see thetrailer and can say it was very well constructed.

I have a 14k 8'x16' loadtrail(sister company to pj or something like that I've been told) gooseneck trailer it appears to be very well built and has a good warranty. I've had mine about 6months. It has very strong hydraulics with scissor lift setup. It will dump when extremely overloaded. I haven't found much of anything to complain about it yet.

I hadn't given Load Trial a look see till you mentioned it. Based on standard features of the similar Load Trail's, I am starting to move in that direction. Saw a side by side comparison of Load Trail and PJ done by a dealer and was very impressed with LT. Thanks for bringing it up!

I hadn't given Load Trial a look see till you mentioned it. Based on standard features of the similar Load Trail's, I am starting to move in that direction. Saw a side by side comparison of Load Trail and PJ done by a dealer and was very impressed with LT. Thanks for bringing it up!

From what I seen it was really hard to beat a load trail. Just how much cheaper they were then like any other trailer I looked at. Way cheaper than a sure track.

I like my trailer.

I have experience with a PJ tandem ax landscape trailer and it is built very well. It's a 7x14 with a 7k rating, I would say by looking at it that it's capable of a higher GVW with heavier axles. I would go PJ for a dump trailer. I also have a Sure-Trac 7x14 single ax and a 3500lb rating that has been a real workhorse. Definitely a light duty build, but 8 years old and probably nearing 75k miles it pulls true and has held up great. Either brand has my support. Sorry I don't have dump trailer feedback but as far as the brand is concerned I wouldn't worry in the build quality department.

Yeah, build characterstics seem good across the brands. It seems more and more that decision will come down to features that are either standard or available and the cost benefit of that in what I finally decide to get. Cost wise, I have actually found some trailers being made that are factory sales only, no dealers. Kaufman is one as is Hull trailers. Both relatively near me. the Hull dump trailers seem to be real built almost to overkill level, but price is very good.

http://www.kaufmantrailers.com/dump-trailers/

http://www.sltrailers.com/Dump_Box_Trailers.html

The Hull trailer details.......

post-122677-0-08189500-1484412802_thumb.jpg

Thanks. Still researching. Have come across several possibilities. This is worse than buying a new pickup! In a good way, though. Lots of great choices. The only heartburn is zeroing it down to one.

• 2 months later...

i have a 2014 82" X14 ft pj dump trailer and have to say it is very well built and pulls good. has 7k axles under it and have had 7 ton of rock on it several times, I pull it with a 2002 2500HD with an 8.1 allison .. I could have probably rented a dump trailer to do what i have done with mine but the convenience of having my own is worth it. I looked at several different makes and thought the fit and finish of the PJ exceeded the others. Smooth welds better paint also. The bed is made with 2 pieces of steel with one weld down the center plus the side mounted tie downs make it dump clean. Only time i had trouble dumping was a 6 ton load of quarry fines loaded way to far to the front but about 15 shovels thrown from front to back took care of that. The only down side of the trailer if you would call it a downside is it is very heavy empty. Mine has the slide in ramps so i could haul my tractor in it if i need to. All around I think it was a good buy it seems I am always finding a use for it for myself or friends.

• 7 months later...

Well, did more of my research and have settled in on a Load Trail 14K 6x12 with King Size box.  I want some extra D rings in box and other items like Coyote Tan color, so just need to get an order placed with my local dealer.  The option of the king size box was the clincher.  Good CF capacity without the wider track of a 7x12 and 600-700 lb lighter than a 7x12.  And still has the 3 way tailgate that Load Trail is known for.

Similar to this one.....

DT14_7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived