Sign in to follow this  
Gorehamj

GMC Shows Off All-New 2018 Terrain

post-139450-0-00236900-1483930212_thumb.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
1-8-2017

GMC showed off its all-new 2018 Terrain today in Detroit. From the images and information, it appears that GMC is sticking with a two-row desing, rather than follow the Nissan Rogue and offer a compact third-row option.

The new Terrain follows the recently revealed 2018 Chevy Equinox' lead mechanically, with the same engine choices. Those choices are the 1.5L turbocharged base engine, a 2.0L turbocharged higher performance option, and an intriguing 1.6L turbo diesel. The new nine-speed automatic transmission will feature a new gear-shift-less operation.

post-139450-0-38236200-1483930494_thumb.jpeg post-139450-0-64053000-1483930630_thumb.jpeg

GMC says "GMC’s new Electronic Precision Shift enables more storage room in the center console by replacing the conventional transmission shifter with electronically controlled gear selection consisting of intuitive push buttons and pull triggers." We added the red arrow to the above image to draw attention to the area that GMC made mention of.

post-139450-0-91992800-1483930561_thumb.jpeg post-139450-0-55015100-1483930699_thumb.jpeg

Being smack dab in the middle of the largest non-truck segment, a segment that is dominated by family buyers, GMC has wisely upped the ante on available safety. A quick list of the available features includes:

-New Surround Vision
-New Forward Collision Alert with Following Distance Indicator
-New Low-Speed Forward Automatic Braking
-New Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning
-Lane Change Alert with Side Blind Zone Alert
-Rear Cross Traffic Alert
-New Safety Alert Seat

-New Rear Seat Reminder

- New Teen Driver Modes

The teen driver system includes an in-vehicle report card to rat out your speeding teen. I use Cell Control in the compact crossover used by my teen son (new driver) and it has been a setup he tolerates well, and that gives me peace of mind. GM bringing this system directly into the vehicle is an interesting move. The system also allows for a parent to set controls, though GM has not elaborated yet. It would be interesting to see if some sort of anti-texting technology was included.

The new 2018 Terrain from GMC will appear in dealerships this spring. Trims will include SL, SLE, SLT and Denali models. We think the new Terrain looks fantastic. What are your thoughts on the styling GM-Trucks.com members?

post-139450-0-38236200-1483930494_thumb.jpeg

post-139450-0-91992800-1483930561_thumb.jpeg

post-139450-0-64053000-1483930630_thumb.jpeg

post-139450-0-55015100-1483930699_thumb.jpeg

Looks fresh and modern.

Posted (edited)

It looks somewhat better in video. http://www.gmc.com/suvs/2018-terrain-small-suv.html

The body lines from behind the headlights back all look good. Glad they ditched the inflated fenderwells.

The interior looks much better than the outgoing set up.

Hate that you have to get to Denali trim level to get lower body plastics painted. Same for the Acadia.

But that grille-headlight combination appears to me as two designers fighting over ideas.

Edited by '01LS1
  • Like 1

Meh... It looks like the rest of the jellybean shaped station wagons, I mean "SUV's" in this class. And rear vision will be horrible with that high hip line. Good thing that they are adding all the new safety nannies. And call me a dinosaur but I just can't get used to these shifter knobs. The whole time I was driving a new Durango last week I just couldn't keep my hand off that stupid dial shifter. The whole time I was just thinking what would happen if I turned it to park @ 60 mph. Lol. And yeah I'm dreading the day GM puts those dial shifters in the full size trucks/suv's 'cause we all know it's coming. Maybe we'll get lucky and the GM engineers will make it the same size, shape, and location as the headlights and transfer case shift knobs currently being used. Well... you asked.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

. And call me a dinosaur but I just can't get used to these shifter knobs. The whole time I was driving a new Durango last week I just couldn't keep my hand off that stupid dial shifter.

The arrow in the photo in post one points more so to the traction control/assist setting knob. The actual way to choose PRND is push/pull tabs at the bottom or just below the hvac controls.

There is a video in the link I posted above & you will see it at the :48 second mark. May be easier to see via video for those reading this on their phone.

Edited by '01LS1

Meh... It looks like the rest of the jellybean shaped station wagons, I mean "SUV's" in this class. And rear vision will be horrible with that high hip line. Good thing that they are adding all the new safety nannies. And call me a dinosaur but I just can't get used to these shifter knobs. The whole time I was driving a new Durango last week I just couldn't keep my hand off that stupid dial shifter. The whole time I was just thinking what would happen if I turned it to park @ 60 mph. Lol. And yeah I'm dreading the day GM puts those dial shifters in the full size trucks/suv's 'cause we all know it's coming. Maybe we'll get lucky and the GM engineers will make it the same size, shape, and location as the headlights and transfer case shift knobs currently being used. Well... you asked.

ummm....those fine smart engineers are actually working at Fiat/Chrysler putting that exact mentioned dial in their Ram Truck on the dash..........Nonsense!

The exterior is something I'll have to see in person to judge, the interior is a good upgrade from what I see. We had the wife in a 2012 Equinox and now a 2015 Terrain and she has loved both of them. I'm interested to see how the new engine packages fair, we will be looking to upgrade in late 2018, early 2019.

Inside looks pretty good! I am just not quite there on the 1. something engines? The 4cly Terrain I had for 1 week as rental was pretty good except for the dangerously slow acceleration with wife, kids, luggage in the hills? V6 people!

attachicon.gifterrain 18.jpg

John Goreham

1-8-2017

attachicon.gifterrain interior.jpeg

GMC says "GMC’s new Electronic Precision Shift enables more storage room in the center console by replacing the conventional transmission shifter with electronically controlled gear selection consisting of intuitive push buttons and pull triggers." We added the red arrow to the above image to draw attention to the area that GMC made mention of.

Your red arrow is pointing to the center console. The Electronic Shift Control is actually mounted on the center stack just below the HVAC controls.

They need to bring the envoy and trailblazer back. I'm stuck upgrading my 06 Denali to today's standards lmao

Posted (edited)

GMC styling has never been to my tastes, but this one looks a bit better IMHO.

And, um, GM kinda "over-photoshopped" the blue one, made the SUV so blue it turned the tires blue too! :) LOL!

Edited by Nargg

Darn good looking SUV.

Too bad the center console is huge. Another nice SUV with huge center console and small hard drivers seat.

I laughed hysteracly for a few seconds when I first saw that thing.. Wow.. Not sure if it looks like a Honda from the back end and a smashed in Volvo from the front..... :crackup: I hope the chevy version isn't as ugly.

Edited by Colossus

I laughed hysteracly for a few seconds when I first saw that thing.. Wow.. Not sure if it looks like a Honda from the back end and a smashed in Volvo from the front..... :crackup: I hope the chevy version isn't as ugly.

Um... The 2018 Equinox was released back in mid September.

2018-chevrolet-equinox-suv-reveal-design

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By shaneman20
      Well, seeing as how I can't find much on this subject no matter what forum I go to, why not try to start the discussion here and see what kind of following I can get and see where we end up.

If you're reading this thread, chances are you have thought about modifying or swapping out your current transmission in your 2014+ GM truck. In my case, I don't mind my 6L80 in my truck. It does fine for what I do right now and it's holding up just fine, but I think the big issue is when you start to search for big power (like I'm starting to do), that 6L80 is not going to hold very much (or so we think). Now, let's all face it. We've seen posts after posts, comments after comments, photos, videos, etc. of guys with built motors with turbos or prochargers shooting down the quarter mile in search for the best time on these 6L80s. Some say they're completely stock, others have them built, and we all ask ourselves the same question: Reliability. How well are these transmissions going to hold up to the abuse on the track? Especially if you want to make it a fast street/strip truck and drive it back home to the garage afterwords.

We know for a fact that 6L90s can hold quite a bit of power. Even though I've mostly seen it in Camaro ZL1 applications, there is a guy on YouTube (GuitarmaggedonZL1) who is running a stock 6L90 on stock converter making 1000HP (give or take on an unloaded dyno) and the transmission hasn't puked all over the ground just yet. (Exaggeration, I know.) So, needless to say, a 6L90 swap sounds nice, at first... After you figure the extra length and weight (and in my case, relocation of the transfer case and getting custom driveshafts made), it starts to look a bit unpromising, but still not out of the ball park yet since it will be able to handle the power some are seeking, but where these newer transmissions lack significantly if you want to do boosted applications at the track (or even just launch control on N/A), no one has developed a transbrake. Very, very few forums are talking about this, and only one video exists of a guy in his BMW testing out a transbrake on a 6L80/6L90, and who knows how reliable it is.

So, now, you start to think: Well, gee. What can I do now? How about a TH400 or 4L80e swap?

So far, I've seen few posts on that as well. No one is talking about it, and I think the biggest problem people seem to be facing is the new PCM: E92. Also possibly the fact that the TCM on the newer transmissions is inside the transmission and whatnot, but whether that plays a part in this, I don't know yet. Now, adapting a TH400 or 4L80e can be done (most likely with a different bellhousing since the bolt holes are in a slightly different spot), but you run into the issue of getting it to speak/cooperate/communicate with the new E92, which I don't think anyone has tried. The only video I've seen of anything working in this application was on a 1320Videos video with a Nova where they were using an LT4 long block (built motor to 388 C.I.) and twin turbos, and it had a powerglide in it. Don't know if it was a manual valve body or computer-controlled, but what I do know is that they used the factory computer to run the DI injection system and piggybacked the rest to an MS3 Pro. After dealing with some issues, they were able to make that thing boogy to a 9 second pass at 148mph. So, these engines have potential to haul ass, but we just haven't figured out how to crack the system.

So, at this point, I'll just leave what I've discussed here and see where the thread goes from here, and I'm hoping people chime in and vendors are watching/listening. Even though the demand isn't hot for it right now, there's going to be a surge for good transmissions when people can buy these trucks/cars/motors/transmissions for pennies on the dollar. Unfortunately, I feel like we'll have to wait that long in order to see results, but oh well.

Just to give you guys an example: In the next year or two (2019 or 2020), I'd like to go turbo with my truck. (Doing all the supporting mods before going there minus built bottom end until I see where I can get with stock bottom end before sending a rod through the block or oil pan) Ideally, it'd be best to have a transbrake in that application with 2-step, but can't do it on the new transmissions. So, 4L80 seems to be the option, but I can't do that either because no one supports adapters or harnesses to make them work with the new motors/ECUs. That's the boat I'm in. I like to research everything before I go whole hog into something. Risk assessment, I guess.
    • By BlackBearPerf
      We are now tuning 2018 GM vehicles. For more information please email us [email protected] 
    • By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      10-26-2017
      GM-Trucks.com was invited to a quick-drive event including the all-new GMC Terrain SLT this past week. The new Terrain and the Chevy version, the Equinox, are two of GM’s most important vehicles. There is no larger automotive segment in the U.S. market than compact crossovers. Yes, individual truck models (The F-150 and Silverado) outsell the top compact crossover, but more crossovers are sold each month.

GM was a little late to see the emerging formula, and the outgoing Equinox and Terrain grew long in the tooth. Nissan’s Rogue, Toyota’s RAV4, and Honda’s CR-V began to outsell the GM twins by huge margins. In response, GM has now closely adopted the size, and specifications of the top sellers. Sales are responding, and the Equinox was coming danger close to third place ahead of the CR-V – until the Equinox plant in Canada went on strike for a month.

Our short drive took us over all forms of roads including a short stretch of highway. The drive answered a lot of questions for us, but the Monroney (window sticker) raised new ones. Here’s our take.

2018 GM Terrain AWD SLT – The Drive
      The new Terrain drives well. The new 2.0-liter turbocharged engine is responsive and plenty powerful to compete with the best engine in the class, Honda’s 1.5-liter turbo introduced 15 months ago. The 2.0-liter is one of two options GMC will sell alongside the volume engine the new 1.5-liter turbo. The other is the new 1.6-liter diesel engine. The optional 2.0-liter turbo adds $1,895 to the cost of the Terrain. In combination with the 9-speed auto, the Terrain felt good in all situations.
      Handling was tight and steering sharp. The Terrain is also relatively comfortable over bumps.

2018 GM Terrain AWD SLT – Interior and Comfort
      The interior quality is better than most of the Terrain’s competitors in our opinion. Materials and craftsmanship are above the mainstream class, and below the luxury class. The seat was high-up in the Terrain. By that we mean we felt it was higher up than other crossovers its type. This is a just a “seat of the pants” observation.

2018 GM Terrain AWD SLT – Pricing and Value
      The hard part for us was the difference in price between the Terrain SLT with the options our tester had and the CR-V AWD Touring, the top-spec Honda. The CR-V is a $35K vehicle with everything. The SLT Terrain we drove was priced at $42,045. $7K is a big delta in this segment and a 20% gap is hard to justify. However, GMC does have other trims that will be priced lower and so too does Chevy.

The next item we noticed of concern was fuel costs. The Terrain AWD’s combined fuel economy is 23 MPG with the 2.0-liter engine, and 26 MPG with the 1.5-liter engine. Honda’s CR-V is 29 MPG. The Terrain we drove was rated with Premium, which we feel is crazy for any mainstream vehicle. We did a little more research and found that the diesel Terrain has the same annual fuel costs as the gasoline CR-V. We know from having asked GM that the deisel Terrain's 0-60 MPH time is about 10 seconds. Pretty slow for a modern compact crossover.

GMC may well have found a sweet spot just above the level of the mainstream sales leaders in the compact crossover segment. We hope that is the case. 

2018 GM Terrain AWD SLT – Safety
      Safety is a key consideration for compact crossover buyers. Our Terrain tester had added in $1,335 for active safety systems like forward collision prevention and lane keeping assist. The top sellers, RAV4 and Nissan Rogue, now include these systems on all trims at no added cost. Honda’s CR-V includes it on all trims but the base model. We suspect the new Terrain will score high on the IIHS testing.

2018 GM Terrain AWD SLT – Conclusions
      Without a full week of testing, we can’t say whether the new GMC Terrain AWD SLT is now the best mainstream compact crossover. Based on our short time with the new Terrain, we can say for sure that the look of the Terrain SLT AWD 2.0T is attractive and the perceived quality is competitive with the best. The drive may well be better than the CR-V, due in part to the optional engine. We hope we have the opportunity to do a full test and review soon. The Terrain is an exciting new vehicle in the largest segment and deserves a close look. 
    • By topshelfproducts
      CASH TALKS! TEXT ME OR CALL 406-690-537I TO DISCUSS, TEXT PREFERRED AS I WORK OUT OF CELL SERVICE OFTEN.

Selling my beloved 2007 GMC Duramax Diesel, last year of the best of the LBZ model code. No emissions from the factory to deal with, and considered to be the best model of duramax ever made. This is a very clean truck, I looked long and hard to find this, and it is my 3rd lbz GM truck. No leaks no drips no check engine lights nothing. Ready for anything and will last forever, I see these trucks on the forums over a half million miles getting beat on daily and running forever, this has been babied. Yes I am asking over book and considering offers, please realize this truck has had a lot more than the average truck has had put into it. Really like buying a brand new truck with everything completely done. Truck is awesome all around. The front seats are showing light wear but no rips, rears and rest of interior looks like new. A couple light paint chips on the front bumper, and I have all factory touch up paints. That's it for imperfections. THIS TRUCK IS CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. I hate selling, however this truck is such a garage queen it makes it hard for me to justify keeping. I started a new position shortly after purchasing the truck and have a work vehicle I use the marjority of the time. The truck is only used for weekend soccer interstate trips etc.

I am the 3rd owner, first was in california and second was in billings and was an oil worker, and it was a garage queen its life. I purchased the truck and did extensive upgrades and reliability modifications to make it the perfect truck in my eyes. I have spent thousands in upgrades and countless hours and extensive labor charges to get the truck to where it is today. This will make someone a reliable powerful vehicle for many years to come with everything done. Always ran premium diesel and Stanadyne with every fillup.

Truck is fully loaded slt model, every available option except leaking sunroof. Bose stereo, power heated leather etc etc.

I will do my best to list everything I can think of about the truck. I am sure I will miss much as so much has been done it is hard to even remember it all. Everything was done with reliability in mind first, and performance second. I have most of the stock parts as well that have been removed.

Upgrades and performance modifications...
      Allison deep transmission pan and new gasket with all new filters.
      Transgo jr shift kit.
      Fleece all on module
      Duramax store transmission cooler line kit upgrade (replaces notorious oem leaking lines)
      Professionally installed rough country 3" lift kit, including new steering stabilizer, 4 new shocks, new rear block, new upper control arms with better angle for ball joint lift, new torsion keys. Also did new pitman and idler arm at this time and full alignment.
      16" XD wheels with 33" Cooper AT3 tires, maybe 5k miles on tires.
      SDP PCV reroute kit
      AFE Series 2 intake with afe pre filter
      4" MBRP mufflered exhaust with black tip.
      3" MBRP downpipe
      MBRP uppipe
      Sinister EGR delete kit
      Edge Insight Gauge Monitor with egt into passenger side exhaust header. Gauge is mounted in dash pod and professionally wired.
      Airdog 165 lift pump
      Capped resonator
      Fleece headlight modification (allows fogs brights lows driving to all be on simultaneously)
      Full window tint with vent visors.
      2 sets of weathertech floor mats, one still new in box.
      Trailer brake
      Snugtop Topper color matched and fitted for the truck, matches the lines perfect.
      5th wheel rails in bed
      GMC Gatorback heavy duty mudflaps
      Lund chrome nerf bars
      Blacked out led taillights

EFI LIVE by Idaho rob at atp in Idaho, comes with efi live tuner.
      If you are not familiar with efi live tuning take some time to read up on google, it is amazing what it does for these trucks and Idaho Rob is considered among the best tuners in the business.
      Truck was tuned after all modifications were completed and comes with 5 tunes that are able to be shifted on the fly with the dsp 5 switch mounted in the cigarette lighter spot and is tuned for the transmission with shift kit. Tunes range from optimized stock, tow tune with turbo tow brake, 90hp eco, 120 street, and 150 hot race, and are changeable simply by turning the switch from positions 1 through 5. I have used the tow tune and the eco tune primarily, as I get older I enjoy cruising more than speeding. The truck does have the ability to really pull however in the higher tunes. Very clean tuning with almost no smoke except in tune 5 where it will smoke a little when getting after it. Truck has not been rodded, adult owned and driven always.

Maintenance items completed...
      All completed within the last 6 months.
      Repeat drain and fills of both differentials with 500k mile synthetic delo dif fluid.
      Repeat drain and fill of transmission and allison filters using only transynd fluid. (Internal filter also change with the deep pan addition.)
      New oem gm radiator hoses and coolant filled drained and filled multiple times. Hyperlube racing coolant additive added on last fillup.
      New oem thermostats
      Brake fluid flushed twice, filled with Valvoline synthetic brake fluid.
      Power steering flushed twice, filled with blue line synthetic power steering fluid.
      Midas full alignment after lift kit installation.
      4 wheel tire balance.
      Full midas inspection showing everything in the good green category.
      New intermediate dorman problem solver steering shaft and bearing kit (fixes notorious oem clunking steering problem)
      New spicer lifetime greasable ujoints
      All zerks repeatedly greased with lucas red and tacky
      Recharged air conditioning.
      Turbo Vane cleaning done.
      Synthetic oils and oem filters, oem airdog liftpump filters.

Truck is ready to go. Title in hand, lien through local bank which my wife works at and all title work can be done at bank on day of sale.
      I may consider delivery for a fee, depending on how far etc.
      I may consider a partial trade on a cheaper vehicle (under 5kish) with your cash offer. Would need to know all vehicle details.

SERIOUS INQUIRIES ONLY PLEASE!!! I am working huge hours right now and don't have time for tire kickers. Vin available upon request. Truck is located in billings montana and can be viewed at almost any time. I will try to get more pictures up of the truck as time allows. First picture is current with topper, other pic just to show how it looks without topper.