Made my own Grill Insert

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good. How did you attach it to the bumper? Did you have to remove the bumper or just the air dam pcs?

EDIT: Looking @ the pic blown up, I can see the acorn nuts. I'm a tool & diemaker, so I'll be fabbing something this spring. Weather turned to %^^&, about a week after I got mine. I've only been under it to install the side steps.

Looks really nice! Great idea. I decided I'd make one too after seeing how much they cost to buy one. Only cost $10 for the expanded metal at Home Depot. I'll post a picture tomorrow after the paint dries and I get it installed.

Looks good. How did you attach it to the bumper? Did you have to remove the bumper or just the air dam pcs?

EDIT: Looking @ the pic blown up, I can see the acorn nuts. I'm a tool & diemaker, so I'll be fabbing something this spring. Weather turned to %^^&, about a week after I got mine. I've only been under it to install the side steps.

revrnd, if you put your hand behind the metal bumper brackets and "feel around", you will find 2 square holes on each side. I used simple 1/4 - 20 stainless steel bolts/fender washers/lock nuts. I only used the top hole on each side. For the bottom holes I simply used a wire tie per hole. I was going to use clip nuts but couldn't source the size I wanted locally Yes, the top cowling and the front grill had to come out. Not to bad of a job, kinda scary when pulling on the grill to "pop" it loose though.

revrnd, if you put your hand behind the metal bumper brackets and "feel around", you will find 2 square holes on each side. I used simple 1/4 - 20 stainless steel bolts/fender washers/lock nuts. I only used the top hole on each side. For the bottom holes I simply used a wire tie per hole. I was going to use clip nuts but couldn't source the size I wanted locally Yes, the top cowling and the front grill had to come out. Not to bad of a job, kinda scary when pulling on the grill to "pop" it loose though.

Can't be too bad compared to this:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/194947-what-ive-replaced-over-the-years/

(scroll down to post #3)

Here is mine once I got it installed. Didn't have to remove anything. There was enough space over the top of the screen to install the bolts in the top holes. Didn't use stainless hardware but maybe I should pick some up and swap it out?

fc90f3d9d4ad1fc9b8ac3942db320b86.jpg

Here is mine once I got it installed. Didn't have to remove anything. There was enough space over the top of the screen to install the bolts in the top holes. Didn't use stainless hardware but maybe I should pick some up and swap it out?

fc90f3d9d4ad1fc9b8ac3942db320b86.jpg

Finally got a look at my truck today. Looks fairly painless. Do you recall the dimensions of the insert (L x W)?

Finally got a look at my truck today. Looks fairly painless. Do you recall the dimensions of the insert (L x W)?

It was really easy. Bought a 12"x24" sheet of expanded steel. Left it 24" wide and cut it in half to 6" long. A few coats of rustoleum flat black. Then bolted it on. I only bolted the top holes as I couldn't get to the lower holes easily. If you look in the opening there you'll see the hole at the top left and right sides. You can also see the bolts in my picture if you look close at it.

It was really easy. Bought a 12"x24" sheet of expanded steel. Left it 24" wide and cut it in half to 6" long. A few coats of rustoleum flat black. Then bolted it on. I only bolted the top holes as I couldn't get to the lower holes easily. If you look in the opening there you'll see the hole at the top left and right sides. You can also see the bolts in my picture if you look close at it.

Yes I did. Plus you can slip the expanded metal between the two metal stampings that make up the bumper. Then install the screws.

I wish they had mentioned how many of those "spring tabs" (for lack of a better term) are in the grille, so a person knows what they're dealing w/.

And yes, I hate pulling grilles/panels out because the part is so flimsy & the attachment is so stiff.

• 2 weeks later...

Just looking @ pics of the Sierra 2500HD, the opening looks completely different. I thought if the Chev & GMC bumper openings were the same, I'd make 1 for bro @ the same time.

I'm going to get mine powder coated, since even w/ several coats of paint the salt up here would ruin it in no time.

I dropped my grille off for powder coating yesterday. Should be ready for pickup next week. Not sure when I'll get it installed as I really don't feel like trying to remove the rad' grille & cover this time of year out in the driveway,

Archived