Ugly def tank

Why did they put that def tank so low on the new duramax? I am looking for a diesel and when I saw that I was like ....wtf??

I will say though. The new Ford F-250 are super nice. I am not trying to start a debate or anything I am a chevy man but what the hell were the techs at gym thinking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a strange location and looks kinda ugly. But go and read the Ford forums, the placement of their tanks has caused many to be ripped off or damaged.

I am surprised an aftermarket company hasn't come up with something better.

That low hanging DEF tank is a real turn off for me and I was happy that I only needed a gasser this time around.

When I bought my 08 Duramax new, there was no DEF and no ugly tank, not sure I would have bought it if it had such a design flaw. It just seems to be in such a vulnerable area.

When I was selling Fords in 2010, the DEF tank was filled beside the regular diesel tank and a long funnel was included and we told our customers that the DEF would damage the paint so at least GM got the fill area in a better place, under the hood.

I am not sure what Ford is doing now. Two years ago I did my three days of sales training at a GM dealership and when I saw those ugly low hanging DEF tanks on the 2015 models I could not understand why they woud do that to such great looking trucks. I quit that sales job on the fourth day as wanted no part of the scripted high pressure sales tactics used at that dealership. I should add that all the manufacturer's have dealerships that buy into these plans so as they say,

Buyer Beware.

Its funny as vulnerable as it looks, I did a quick googling, and only found one or two mentions of a damaged tank.

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/2011-2016-non-powertrain/404673-who-has-destroyed-def-tank.html

I feel that it stands a better chance of getting damaged under the truck rather than on the side of the frame (kind of narrow/tight under those frames). Plus running boards add another level of protection from the side (and hide it pretty good) as well if desired.

Same place. They now have a skid plate on them so it looks stranger than the 2011-2016 trucks. Plus its now a larger 7 gallon tank vs. the 5 gallon currently.

The fact that GM put a skid plate on them would indicate to me that there was a problem.

The fact that GM put a skid plate on them would indicate to me that there was a problem.

Or...enough of their buyers bitched about the lack of one, and the aftermarket started making them years ago so GM got the jump on them...We have some farmers that come in with Dmax trucks with the DEF system...big ruts and all not a single busted tank, broken hanger, etc.

Have also read that GM placed the tank where it is because if the truck is fitted with a different bed/flat bed etc. the filler cap(or tank, not sure which) does not have to be relocated like it does on the Ford/Ram. Not sure the truth behind it but it seems logical

I have admitted before that I knocked a hole in my DEF tank!!! Dealer split cost of new tank with me and I bought a skid plate for mine then, I got one from Ore-Fab which fit great and was easy to install. Last time my truck was at dealer I asked if they had replaced any more due to damage and the Tech told me I was his one and only!!! :jester:

some of the "nurf bars" will conceal the DEF tank, but I too don't care for the way it looks or the location. Seems like it could be moved back under the bed without too much heartburn, don't know if GM has even given that any consideration. Would be a great day if GM and the others could figure out how to run a "clean" diesel without the DEF.

some of the "nurf bars" will conceal the DEF tank, but I too don't care for the way it looks or the location. Seems like it could be moved back under the bed without too much heartburn, don't know if GM has even given that any consideration. Would be a great day if GM and the others could figure out how to run a "clean" diesel without the DEF.

Volkswagen found a way to make diesels pass the environmental standards without DEF, too bad it was against the law.

One would think that they can find a better place for the tank. Like behind the rear seat where the gas tank use to be on the old 69 chevy trucks. Just make the cab a little bigger to accommodate it.

Not sure if having liquids of any sort in the cab is a great idea in case of a collision.

If I were a GM engineer I would find a way to hang myself. Its not a skid plat either its just big and UGLY and the fill under the hood is also borderline insanity and AMP steps won't work on the new ones either.

Archived