Ugly def tank

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I were a GM engineer I would find a way to hang myself. Its not a skid plat either its just big and UGLY and the fill under the hood is also borderline insanity and AMP steps won't work on the new ones either.

I'd bet that this was done by some contract design outfit & bought off by some manager that drives a Sonic to work. Look how they screwed up the style/mounting of the vertical towing mirrors on the GMT800s. The mirrors looked great but when mounted to the inboard leaning portion of the doors, the mirrors are tipped upward (leaning in @ the top). The idgits should've sent the design back to be reworked. This "issue" was fixed on the GMT900s

I'd bet that this was done by some contract design outfit & bought off by some manager that drives a Sonic to work. Look how they screwed up the style/mounting of the vertical towing mirrors on the GMT800s. The mirrors looked great but when mounted to the inboard leaning portion of the doors, the mirrors are tipped upward (leaning in @ the top). The idgits should've sent the design back to be reworked. This "issue" was fixed on the GMT900s

They tilted in when the aftermarket installed them on the previous generation trucks. They didn't lean on the trucks they were released to fit.

Lots of previous the generation trucks had the new style (07.5+) mirrors installed.

They tilted in when the aftermarket installed them on the previous generation trucks. They didn't lean on the trucks they were released to fit.

Lots of previous the generation trucks had the new style (07.5+) mirrors installed.

Those mirrors were a factory option starting in 06

Does it look great? Not really.

I still don't see where the big gripe comes in. I'm willing to bet the guys/companies that are using for purpose don't give a rats ass. Even more, I'll bet a tank location isn't swaying said individual to go the other brands. It serves its purpose.

Those mirrors were a factory option starting in 06

And looking head on @ the truck they looked even worse. The comments from those in the plant that were truck owners were pretty negative.

I wan't sure on the model year, I just knew they were after my brother's '05 which had the power telescoping tow mirrors. They @ least got things right on GMT900s.

Any pictures of where the def tank is on a 2015 (build date 03/2014)? I have to replace the def pump the next time the light comes back on. It went off again on it's own but I have a new pump ready to replace it. I am hoping this one holds out till warmer weather because the truck won't fit in my heated garage.

Why did they put that def tank so low on the new duramax? I am looking for a diesel and when I saw that I was like ....wtf??

I will say though. The new Ford F-250 are super nice. I am not trying to start a debate or anything I am a chevy man but what the hell were the techs at gym thinking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

im a technician at a gm dealer and yes they are horrible we have to replace the pump/reservoir in the tank a lot because the heaters that heat the fluid go bad a throws a code and they absolutely suck step bars dont help either. hope what i said doesnt stop you from buying but the engines are the best. and the design is here to stay for a while unfortunately....

• 2 weeks later...

im a technician at a gm dealer and yes they are horrible we have to replace the pump/reservoir in the tank a lot because the heaters that heat the fluid go bad a throws a code and they absolutely suck step bars dont help either. hope what i said doesnt stop you from buying but the engines are the best. and the design is here to stay for a while unfortunately....

I have to replace mine because of the heater. Since the fault comes and goes I am hoping to do it in warmer weather. Any tips?

if your going to do it yourself get a car jack and put it under the tank after you get the traps off do not bend those straps it will make it hard to bolt them back in. and also dont lower too far down their is connectors and hoses attached to the sender unit. you will have to disconnect the big feed hose that goes to the tank first along with the big connector thats on top of the tank it will take sometime to do they arent easy just dont break anything and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

So...good news boys and girls...got a good look at the diagrams for the new tank, and what is under the massive shielding.

The shield is a two parter. The tapered big outer one you see from the side of the truck, and then there is a lower one that attaches under the bottom of the tank. All of the shielding is there, and for a VERY good reason...

The DEF pump module, controller and feed line to the injector is now installed on the BOTTOM of the DEF tank. The LML trucks were designed like a traditional fuel tank, where debris can get trapped on top of the tank. Now, it is more or less an upside down tank. I would highly suggest to anyone thinking about removing the shield, NOT TO DO SO.

i wish they would of just made it wider or longer to completely negate it from hanging under the truck like a skrodom. I get it, its limited space to work with, but it could of been designed better, you can put all the skid plates you want on it, but one approach angle or a rogue stump is going to tear that thing right off.

Archived