Photo
- - - - -

New Owners of an 08 Silverado..Need some feedback on Dealership issue

cel check engine light dealership p0430 emissions catalyst catalytic converter o2 silverado 1500 chevy chevrolet evap

20 replies to this topic

#16 StillOffshore

StillOffshore

Enthusiast

• 139 posts
  • Name:Steve-o
  • Drives:2016 Sierra Denali

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:31 PM

Cut out the cat, fool the computer....be happy. Those are junk anyway. A problem waiting to happen...which it did.

I doubt many salesmen actually dig into vehicle history anyway. They're going to tell you what they think you want to hear. The truck is solid, aside from some emissions junk. Lose the junk.

#17 diyer2

diyer2

Catch Picture Release

• 543 posts
  • Drives:2012 Sierra SLT All Terrian Z71 5.3

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:51 PM

Glad you got a laugh.

I thought of you, your situation and remembered this problem that I was party too being a retired construction worker, so I fired up the PC and typed away.

​This was quite a few years ago here in Colorado. We have a soil type that is called bentonite. I swells/expands with moisture, shrinks when dry similar to a sponge. I was working at the time for a company that worked on insurance claims.

Couple bought a $550k house in a new sub division. A few years later the houses foundation was moving so bad that there was a crack in the basement concrete wall that you could put your fist through and see the dirt on the other side. The front of the house where the garage meets the house, the garage was pulling away from the house. Big cracks in the drywall from foundation movement.

The builder was bankrupt by then, the county said it was built to code and the insurance company was fighting the repairs blaming the builder. This subdivision made the local news.

​Now a truck with a possibly bad catalytic converter would be a walk in the park.   :happysad:   

• Emy likes this

m1%20011_1.gif

Sent from my HP desktop using a keyboard not tapatalk.

Use your head for more than a hat rack.

​Maintenance manuals/schedules are not fire starter material !!!

#18 Heavy 5.7

Heavy 5.7

Enthusiast

• 34 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:52 PM

It sounds like given the prior history of the vehicle when the catalytic converter bit the dust the previous owner cleared the code and went new truck shopping. Without absolute proof it's not fair to slam a car dealership.

#19 It's Tim

It's Tim

Enthusiast

• 12 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:33 AM

^

I read the whole thread and that's what I think too. I seriously doubt a car dealer would clear a valid trouble code without performing a repair on an emission control. It's probably a violation of Federal law as well. The person that owned that truck before saw this as an ominous harbinger of things to come so they traded it off before throwing any more money at it. Myself I've done my very best deals on off lease vehicles. I buy a 2 year old vehicle and  drive it for a couple of years then rinse and repeat.

#20 Jsdirt

Jsdirt

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,605 posts
  • Drives:2007 Silverado Z71 extended, 4x4, 5.3 LMG, 3.73, LT2

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:57 PM

Sounds like you haven't dealt with Northeastern car dealers. It's a running joke around here that they're all run by the mob, due to their business practices.

The lesson here is, in the 21st century, every potential used (or even new) car buyer should be bringing their own scan tool with them to plug in on the test drive. You have to know what you're buying, because the dealer sure as hell isn't going to go out of his way to let you know ...

Edited by Jsdirt, 12 January 2017 - 01:59 PM.

• Emy likes this
Posted Image

#21 Heavy 5.7

Heavy 5.7

Enthusiast

• 34 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:23 PM

The lesson here is, in the 21st century, every potential used (or even new) car buyer should be bringing their own scan tool with them to plug in on the test drive. You have to know what you're buying, because the dealer sure as hell isn't going to go out of his way to let you know ...

Absolutely, $20 for a scanner that will interface with either an Android or Apple phone it's a very sound investment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users