Weight in the bed? Snow is coming.

With snow and ice slated for the coming days, I'm thinking about throwing some weight in the bed of my truck for the winter. Having been in an SUV for the last decade, I haven't had to think about this in quite some time.

What are y'all using? Sand tubes still the way to go?

Luckily for me I've always had a toolbox in the bed of every truck I've owned and had God only knows how much weight in them so I didn't have to worry about adding weight. Plus the snow that lands in the bed adds a little more weight and I usually swiped the snow on top of the toolbox into the bed. But, if you don't have a toolbox then of course adding weight will help since the rear end of a truck is just light without a load. I will say that if you add weight 100 lbs I don't think will help. I would think it would have to be at least 2-300 if not more to really help and feel a difference. I've read where people like to use bags of sand to basically kill 2 birds with 1 stone. They add weight and if you or someone else gets stuck you can open up a bag to put sand down to help get out.

Extra weight is not really necessary when you have 4wd. If you like to leave it in 2wd, some tube sand in the rear will give you a little more traction. To maximixe the effect, place it as far to the rear as possible. I use a 2x4 in the slots in the bed sides to hold 2 bags of 70# near the tailgate. But I really only have that in there as counter weight for the plow.

My truck is 4wd, personally I don't use weight in the bed. I just throw it in 4wd Auto and it does fine. If your truck is 2wd only, I would use sand tubes from Lowes or HD.

Mine is 4wd, too. Just trying to figure out if it would be the smart play to throw some extra weight back there for the next couple of months instead of always cruising around in auto 4wd.

Mine is 4wd, too. Just trying to figure out if it would be the smart play to throw some extra weight back there for the next couple of months instead of always cruising around in auto 4wd.

Hello, welcome to 2017, you can change from 2wd and 4wd with the turn of a dial and there is no purpose to putting sand in the bed other than appeasing an old habit

Why would you want to mess around with putting weight in the bed before every storm, or driving around with extra weight when you don't need it. I'll bet it's more practical to just flip your drive selector to 4 Auto every time there's snow on the ground. Save yourself the money on sandbags and gas and flip the knob. I've been doing it for years and it works just fine.

Hello, welcome to 2017, you can change from 2wd and 4wd with the turn of a dial and there is no purpose to putting sand in the bed other than appeasing an old habit

Why would you want to mess around with putting weight in the bed before every storm, or driving around with extra weight when you don't need it. I'll bet it's more practical to just flip your drive selector to 4 Auto every time there's snow on the ground. Save yourself the money on sandbags and gas and flip the knob. I've been doing it for years and it works just fine.

Thank you, I really appreciate you welcoming me in to this brand new year that we are celebrating. :rolleyes:

I understand the ease of switching back and forth, but was curious if anyone else was adding weight for piece of mind / so they don't have to worry about switching back and forth should conditions change on the fly.

Trust me, I'd rather not have to cruise around with a bunch of weight all winter long, but I also don't want to be breaking the tires loose as soon as things get the slightest bit slippery.

The trucks themselves are already fairly heavy. Put it in Auto-4WD and don't worry about any weight. If the snow is really deep, then lock in 4wd until you no longer need it. 8 years and two different trucks and i've never had a single issue during Michigan winters and/or driving through a field with 12 inches of snow. GM designs their trucks to always get you wherever you want to go :thumbs:

... two bags of sand will make a difference, but may not be 100% necessary with 4WD Auto. Also, use the transmission's 2nd gear start (maybe 3rd gear with the 8 speed) in manual mode. That will help keep the tires from spinning when starting off.

No need to get all sensitive. If you feel that 4wd won't provide you the traction you need and the though of weight make you feel at ease, then weight away. I think most people are comfortable with the 4wd system in our trucks and find the 4wd Auto feature suffice for snow and inclement weather. Welcome to the Internet.

Thank you, I really appreciate you welcoming me in to this brand new year that we are celebrating. :rolleyes:

I understand the ease of switching back and forth, but was curious if anyone else was adding weight for piece of mind / so they don't have to worry about switching back and forth should conditions change on the fly.

Trust me, I'd rather not have to cruise around with a bunch of weight all winter long, but I also don't want to be breaking the tires loose as soon as things get the slightest bit slippery.

Trust me, my feelings weren't hurt.

Regardless, I appreciate the input from everyone. Seems that there are two pretty clear camps when it comes to adding weight or not. I'll see how the first snow goes in the new ride and go from there.

Trust me, my feelings weren't hurt.

Regardless, I appreciate the input from everyone. Seems that there are two pretty clear camps when it comes to adding weight or not. I'll see how the first snow goes in the new ride and go from there.

Your question is a good one. You will be fine without adding weight, imo. My 2000 Silverado was 2 wheel drive and added weight greatly reduced my chances of getting stuck. My 2009 and 2015 Sierra's are 4 WD and added weight has proven unnecessary.

I don't add weight. I can see the purpose though, 4wd or not. Even riding around in 4auto, having weight would be nice so it doesn't have to engage every time I took off. These trucks are spin happy in rain, add below freezing elements and mine doesn't like to move at all without 4auto. I do mainly city streets driving during the week.

Archived