#31 TJay74

TJay74

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,704 posts
  • Name:Todd
  • Drives:2016 Sierra CC All Terrain w/ 6.2

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:16 PM

yup, but it's pretty damn close, so close it could be labeled awd

We have a front diff, a rear diff which operate the same no matter what.

We also have something very similar to clutched center diff.

In auto4 the systems changes the front and rear torque split through the clutch. There is NOTHING that is locked or binding, all 4 tires can spin independently of each other. This is almost exactly how an awd system works.

In 4wd hi, the front and rear axles are locked

Ok, sort of right.

In Auto the clutches in the transfer case engage at 10%. As soon as one of the ABS sensors on the rear wheels detect slippage the transfer case locks fully and then is in 4wd. if the truck has the G80 locker in the rear then both of the rear tires are locked until speeds hit 20mph and the locked opens up. The front diff is a open diff, so both tires get equal power until one of the tires slips, then power moves over to that tire due to how open diffs work.

While in Auto the transfer case stays locked until the slippage event decays out, then it goes back to 10% loading until another event is detected. GM promotes the G80 locker as being able to deliver equal power to the rear wheels even if one is slipping instead of having open diffs on both ends.

#32 BSME1115

BSME1115

Enthusiast

• 61 posts
  • Name:Jake

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:24 PM

well "wise words of wisdom" should go bang a girl with gonorrhea because that won't matter in 5 years

wow.

#33 Silver 5.3

Silver 5.3

Enthusiast

• 164 posts
  • Drives:2015 Z71 Double Cab Sierra SLE 5.3

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:26 PM

well "wise words of wisdom" should go bang a girl with gonorrhea because that won't matter in 5 years

...and that is all I need to know about you

#34 truckguy82

truckguy82

Enthusiast

• 473 posts
  • Drives:'14 GMC Sierra All-Terrain 6.2L

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:32 PM

I guess I need to work on my blue collar jokes

#35 Marty371

Marty371

Enthusiast

• 4 posts
  • Drives:Sierra 2017

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:46 PM

Unfortunately, that is incorrect. 4wd Auto is not the same as All Wheel Drive and their characteristics shouldn't be confused.

I understand this is not the same as AWD but Can I Drive in auto at 60mph ? ou I should avoid it ? and stay below 50 or so?

#36 txchevy4ever

txchevy4ever

Member since 2003

• 426 posts
  • Drives:2015 LTZ Z71 4x4 Silverado Crew Cab

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:52 PM

I understand this is not the same as AWD but Can I Drive in auto at 60mph ? ou I should avoid it ? and stay below 50 or so?

60 and above in Auto is just fine.

-------------------------

http://www.nra.org

God, Family, Texas

#37 Bushleaguechew

Bushleaguechew

Enthusiast

• 64 posts
  • Drives:2016 Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:30 PM

60 and above in Auto is just fine.

I hit the limiter in auto and nothing broke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#38 rdnckhntr94

rdnckhntr94

K2 Section Moderator

• 5,834 posts
  • Name:CJ
  • Drives:'14 Silverado CC short bed High Country 5.3L

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:42 PM

Dang, late to the party!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

HC emblem!

2" Top Gun Customz level kit, Bilstein 5100's all 4 corners, running board and air dam delete, Weathertech floormats front and rear, Diablosport intune i2 tuned, Volant CAI w/ Donaldson air filter, LT275/60R20 BFGoodrich All Terrain KO2's, bumper step LED's, Helwig Helper springs, Powerstop truck & tow front pads and rotors. New wheels and HID lows coming soon!

#39 HyperX

HyperX

Enthusiast

• 62 posts
  • Drives:2016 Sierra Denali 6.2, 2014 Escalade Platinum, 2008 Z06 Corvette

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:05 PM

relevant

#40 MUDCVRD

MUDCVRD

Enthusiast

• 26 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:06 AM

Alright, so who won round 1, truckguy or Steve? Can't wait to see what's on tap for round 2.

again_zpsl22zokvn.jpg

#41 Silverado Steve

Silverado Steve

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,506 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Drives:2014 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 LTZ Z71

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:09 AM

I'll just leave this here:
http://www.subaru.co...vice/awd-vs-4wd
http://www.digitaltr...ll-wheel-drive/

I'll let Truckguy continue to argue the sky is green a further make silly comment about STDs and whatever else. I think most people know AWD is full time and non user selectable, can control power to each wheel at different levels independently (4 auto does not)where 4wd is strictly per axle (same with 4 auto)and 4wd has a transfer case which has an option for gearing to the front axle (4wd hi, 4wd lo, 4 auto) rather than a differential that adjust power to a specific wheel. All this I've mentioned in previous posts, but i apparantly know nothing. If somebody else wants to prolong the fun, have a go...this thread went south with the unfunny attempt with the STD joke...lol

Edited by Silverado Steve, 12 January 2017 - 06:15 AM.

#42 Zachlovesfood

Zachlovesfood

Enthusiast

• 250 posts
  • Name:Zach
  • Drives:2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:29 AM

From what I've read, Truckguy82 is claiming that our trucks have a system that's simply more similar to AWD than it is to a traditional 4WD. He hasn't claimed that they're the exact same thing. There are many posts proving the different variations of getting all 4 wheels spinning...

#43 Zachlovesfood

Zachlovesfood

Enthusiast

• 250 posts
  • Name:Zach
  • Drives:2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:35 AM

I guess he could've worded it more along the lines of, "It's not the same as traditional 4WD" and left AWD out of the picture...

#44 Brian S.

Brian S.

Enthusiast

• 350 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:42 AM

My dad leaves it in 4auto all winter. A buddy leaves it in 4auto always. I leave it in 4auto when there is a chance I'll be encountering snow or ice covered roads, and more than once I've left it on 4auto for weeks after pulling my boat up a slippery boat ramp.

I saw an article a few years ago where a GM engineer said they assumed people just leave it on.

Steve seems to be implying you shouldn't ever do these things and in a way, he's right. If you never put your truck in 4wd you will never any wear and tear on the 4 wheel drive components.

However; Steve's 2014 is his first 4wd GM truck. My dad, our friends, and I have all been using the auto 4 on a lot of trucks over a lot of years without any issues. (I can't remember when I got my first auto Silverado, but I know I've had at least 6-7)

Every now and again you see a rare case of someone that had trouble with it, but you've got a drivetrain warranty. Beyond that, I've never heard of anyone I know having trouble with it, and we pretty much all drive 4wd trucks in Wisconsin. (my dad, my brother, my step brothers all drive GM trucks, as well as many of our friends) A LOT of Midwest men tow boats, atvs, snowmobiles, wave runners, hauls canoes/kayaks/dirt bikes, and go off road fishing and hunting. It's the lifestyle here, and we use the auto 4, it's a lot easier than trying to remember switching in and out of 4 hi. (not to mention our roads are snow covered a lot)

YMMV, but we've been using auto 4 for a lot of years in the Midwest, on the highway and off.

Edited by Brian S., 12 January 2017 - 08:48 AM.

#45 truckguy82

truckguy82

Enthusiast

• 473 posts
  • Drives:'14 GMC Sierra All-Terrain 6.2L

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:34 AM

I'll just leave this here:
http://www.subaru.co...vice/awd-vs-4wd
http://www.digitaltr...ll-wheel-drive/

I'll let Truckguy continue to argue the sky is green a further make silly comment about STDs and whatever else. I think most people know AWD is full time and non user selectable, can control power to each wheel at different levels independently (4 auto does not)where 4wd is strictly per axle (same with 4 auto)and 4wd has a transfer case which has an option for gearing to the front axle (4wd hi, 4wd lo, 4 auto) rather than a differential that adjust power to a specific wheel. All this I've mentioned in previous posts, but i apparantly know nothing. If somebody else wants to prolong the fun, have a go...this thread went south with the unfunny attempt with the STD joke...lol

The only way cheaper awd systems control each wheel is by applying brakes the wheel that spins. If you want to say there is some big difference between auto4 and awd because of that, ok. But it is incorrect to say awd "controls each wheel independently"

If awd had full control of each tire, then it would be god like in off road situations, but they aren't.

Edited by truckguy82, 12 January 2017 - 09:35 AM.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 4x4awd, sierra, 2017

2 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users