Damaged radiator from inside engine compartment at 4,700 miles

I have a 2016 Duramax High Country I took to the dealership because engine light was on. It was discovered that a mouse had chewed up one of my wires and repair would not be covered under warranty.

That's fine replace the wire harness and let me know when I can pick it up.

Now they called me and said wire harness is replaced but there is a hole in the radiator saying I must have picked up a rock while driving and damaged it, this will cost 1,400 and its not covered under warranty.

This seems shady to me how I have multiple areas on the inside of the engine compartment of the radiator that are damaged and one being a pin hole

Service guy is telling me maybe ice from the road got in there but there was no radiator problem when I dropped off my truck

i would go drive it. If there is a leak, it might spray everywhere and create steam and whatnot.

If it's very noticeable from outside the vehicle, then it would be obvious that it wasn't like that when you dropped it off.

Also did you see it yet? I mean it should be obvious if something hit it because there will be a dent right in the front. You'd think if it was a tool slip from a tech it would not be in the front.

Also isn't the tranny cooler in front of the radiator?

Ford pulled this crap with the Intercoolers on their 3.5 Ecoboost F-150s. How can they prove a rock punched a hole in the radiator. It would seem for the rock to do that, it would have ot be decent size, the fins on your radiator would be bent and that you would of heard a very audible thunk and your grill damaged. I'd check out another dealer.

Yea, something seems off about that. Was it the actual radiator? As the engine radiator is blocked by, in grille to engine layered order, the trans cooler, PS cooler, AC condenser, and the intercooler. Plus the whole back side of the radiator is fan shrouded to heck.

Where was the wiring repair?

The wire was the harness going to the radiator temp sensor.

The radiator was damaged on the inside engine side NOT the grill side facing the outside elements. The damage to the radiator was inside the fan shroud. So how would a rock get past the skid plates under the truck into the engine compartment, into the shrouded area between fan and radiator and damage the radiator in 3 spots putting a pin hole in one spot. I went out took photos of it at the dealership and told them I'm keeping the old radiator. Anyway 1,400 bucks later I got my truck back but still no idea how the radiator was damaged in the first place.

Yeah I ponied up the $1400 to fix the rad, I mean I cant prove they did something wrong. I could have bought a radiator online for 238.00 bucks but risk losing my seven year warranty on a truck I bought only four months ago. Hole was on engine side makes no sense but dealership wont admit wrong doing

I think you are entitled to the return of the old parts if they don't need to be returned for warranty. Whatever tore up the harness also damaged the radiator, such is life.

ETA: Radiator dealer list is $320.00 btw.

Going of off list price at $491.67...plus 4.8 hours customer pay, at lets assume 100/hr., that's $971.67. Now I will say, I'm not sure where the other $400 comes into play for that.

from the internet no-one can say what happened. Nor can anyone reasonably infer you are getting ripped off on the fact the radiator may need replacement from unrelated damage related to the wiring repair. The engine compartment is not a sealed unit. I would have wanted to see the radiator first hand before agreeing to the repair but likely its a $&^%$ happens kind of thing.

Likely you could have saved a good bit of money swapping out the radiator yourself but sometimes that may not be an option.

Radiators do get damaged on the rear side at times but thats unusual, most are caused by the fan or fan clutch coming apart and then getting into the radiator. I would not install an aftermarket radiator in a new truck, you can find places on the web that sale new for reasoanble...but thats after the fact at this point.

** if the radiator or related parts had to be removed to fix the wiring issue you noted, then different story....

Archived