Who likes their 6 Speed?

320 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As the title states....

I traded in my 2015 GMC Sierra with an 8 speed that was a clunky mess for a 2016 GMC Sierra with the 6 Speed.

Overall I am much happier.... after the learning process I have found the truck has a mild kick from grade braking upon deceleration, but the confusion and shift pattern is much better so far. If I disable grade braking, I noticed it is even better and grade braking did nothing for my 8 speed.

This thread is for those looking and comparing the two transmissions, posting their thoughts on their 6 speed and comparing the polls to the 8 speed thread.

Please post your thoughts on the 6 speed transmission! Please include current miles and model year of your vehicle.

Thanks

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never driven the 8 speed so no comparison between the two but this 6 speed is leaps and bounds better than my old 4L60E. I tow a lot and it does a much better job keeping the engine in that sweet spot.

Truck is a '14 Silverado, 3.42 gears. Truck has about 68k miles

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Did you notice a learn mode with your transmission? When did yours really start to "break in" or start shifting good? It seems for me, at 6500 miles, things have gotten much better than they were around 3500-5000

If you don't lean on it, I find it acceptable but when you step on it, I've had severe hard 1-2 shifts at times, lagged 1-2 shifts (like an over-rev or searching when shifting), and when towing heavier loads it searches at times. Other driveline crap makes the entire package less than desirable for me and I actually find my '14 worse than my '05 Avalanche which I thought was an absolute POS. I'm dissappointed in mine.

I have a '14 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3L All Terrain with 49K kms (31k miles). Grocery getter, work commuter, family van, and part time boat hauler.

I like mine just fine, 15' Sierra turning over 40k miles sometime this weekend. I Hated it on and off for a while. It has grown on me, dealer did a transfer case update a while back and it's been a new truck since then as far as shifting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting -- updated the transfer case? Any chance you know what the TSB was?

don't forget to vote! Thanks!

Not sure if this helps, it's all I've got on it. I was there to get the oil changed and see about a tailgate issue. They saw it in the system and asked if I wanted it done. Shifts much better coming out of a turn and pressing on the gas again, if that makes sense. Used to have a delay before it was in gear and would be somewhat jumpy shifting into gear it felt like. truck used to act like it was confused as to what gear to shift into when I would press back in to accelerate after I let off the gas to coast, or picking a gear when coasting into a hill and starting to accelerate up it.

I can't see the poll on tapatalk.

5ddfbc578f55cdcb0b8cd6cc53a161c0.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As the title states....

I traded in my 2015 GMC Sierra with an 8 speed that was a clunky mess for a 2016 GMC Sierra with the 6 Speed.

Overall I am much happier.... after the learning process I have found the truck has a mild kick from grade braking upon deceleration, but the confusion and shift pattern is much better so far. If I disable grade braking, I noticed it is even better and grade braking did nothing for my 8 speed.

This thread is for those looking and comparing the two transmissions, posting their thoughts on their 6 speed and comparing the polls to the 8 speed thread.

Please post your thoughts on the 6 speed transmission! Please include current miles and model year of your vehicle.

Thanks

Well now I'm confused. I have a 2015 with a 6 speed. I thought all 2015's had 6 speeds and it wasn't until 2016 that the 8 speeds came out. :confused:

Anyway, my 2015 has 12,000 miles on it. The 6 speed can be a little clunky sometimes but it doesn't bother me at all. No issues.

Well now I'm confused. I have a 2015 with a 6 speed. I thought all 2015's had 6 speeds and it wasn't until 2016 that the 8 speeds came out. :confused:

Anyway, my 2015 has 12,000 miles on it. The 6 speed can be a little clunky sometimes but it doesn't bother me at all. No issues.

Nope. My 2015 got the 8 speed when I ordered it with the 6.2L. All I had was problems with it. My good buddy at work made sure I knew that his new ram with the 8 speed was smooth as butter too... lol

Nope. My 2015 got the 8 speed when I ordered it with the 6.2L. All I had was problems with it. My good buddy at work made sure I knew that his new ram with the 8 speed was smooth as butter too... lol

Oh. So when did 8 speeds first become available? And I thought it was the 8 speeds that everyone was having trouble with.

Oh. So when did 8 speeds first become available? And I thought it was the 8 speeds that everyone was having trouble with.

I believe it was 2015..... I was curious if people have had the same issues with the 6 speeds... I am curious to see the poll results and compare them with the "who likes their 8 speed" thread.

Before tune it was very disappointing, after tune I love it! I had a Cadillac XTS I traded for the truck, the thing would try to get to 6th before I got out of the driveway, hated it.

Archived