Who likes their 6 Speed?

320 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Before tune it was very disappointing, after tune I love it!

Same here, just installed a Diablosport canned tune. The best part is that now I barely hear a clunk from the drivertrain. I always had a downshift clunk before, not sure it is from the transmission or due to driveline slack, but now it's pretty much gone. Prior to that, tried some leaf spring clamps and re-torqued the U-bolt nuts and that made no difference.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same here, just installed a Diablosport canned tune. The best part is that now I barely hear a clunk from the drivertrain. I always had a downshift clunk before, not sure it is from the transmission or due to driveline slack, but now it's pretty much gone. Prior to that, tried some leaf spring clamps and re-torqued the U-bolt nuts and that made no difference.

What time exactly are you using, 87 tune or Diablo tune or?

Have you also adjusted any other peramitors, I'm looking for what setup works well with the Diablo tuner. Thanks

What time exactly are you using, 87 tune or Diablo tune or?

Have you also adjusted any other peramitors, I'm looking for what setup works well with the Diablo tuner. Thanks

Just the 87 Octane tune, firm shifts and turned off the AFM V4 mode, that's it. I did post a message in the long tuning thread in the other forum that the shifting has been different after the tune, it holds the lower gear longer - on some local roads it doesn't shift at all in the higher gears. But on certain sections of these same local roads my truck would always clunk when downshifting, but not anymore after the tune since it holds the gear longer.

My 6-speed was decent as the truck came from the factory, but after my Black Bear tune it's amazing. It downshifts with a little throttle flick like any other truck should. Shifts are quick and clean, no light throttle confusion/delay. The engine finally feels like it makes the advertised power numbers.

The 6L80 is 10 times the transmission that the fragile 4L60 was. Can't comment on the 8-speed but if I bought one it'd be tuned in a heartbeat.

Before tune it was very disappointing, after tune I love it! I had a Cadillac XTS I traded for the truck, the thing would try to get to 6th before I got out of the driveway, hated it.

Where did you get your tune? I specifically ask you because we live in the same town! Cruddy weather this weekend!

Where did you get your tune? I specifically ask you because we live in the same town! Cruddy weather this weekend!

I bought a Diablo inTune i2 then a short time later I purchased a custom tune from DiabLew Tune, http://diablewtune.com. His is much better than the canned tune or the simple tweaks I made myself.

Took almost 1000 miles to teach it to operate smoothly in the lower gears......now at close to 2K , beautiful!, shifts smooth in all gears, even first starting off in cold whether.

Not rear drives, but the POS 8 speed on the Malibu I traded didn't learn a damn thing, hard shifting in 1-2 and 2-3 while the 6 speed in the Impala works great. My .02 is that the 8 speed is too many gears and becomes a real pain in the ass with shift points turning corners at lower speeds.

I had similar issues until I got a range device. Disabling the AFM and driving around for a few weeks REALLY cleaned up my transmission issues.

I realized the transmission was having to compensate for the ridiculous AFM lunges and pressure changes caused by the AFM.

I had a '15 Silverado with a 5.3/6sp/3.42 and put 12K miles on it, then traded it in for a '16 (10k miles now) with the same powertrain. Without a doubt the worse stock auto shifting car/trucks I ever owned in 35+ years.

Like mentioned above a lot of it is the V4 switching and the converter locking and unlocking, converter cant stay locked in V4 at lower rpm.. i have a range device as well and it really cleans it up, BUT I dont drive the truck every day and after a week the battery is dead if I leave it plugged in.

I really wish GM would just have an ECO mode if you want the V4 garbage to work. If you tune it you can blow your warranty so thats not really an option for most. Sometimes I wonder if anyone actuakky drives these things from GM. I cant see how anyone would drive one of these around in heavy traffic with some hills and say its OK.

FWIW I have a '16 Corvette with the 8 speed and that has to be the second worse driving auto trans car I ever owned, if you are on the throttle hard it works great - but in normal driving its a mess.

Granted the Ram's 6 and 8 speed have their glitches as well, I had three 4th gen Rams, and the 6 speed Ford isnt perfect either, but these GM trucks are horrible in stock form. I will admit the gas mileage on these is pretty good for a full size V8 pickup but I'd gladly give up 1-2mpg for better driveability.

With just shy of 1300 miles on mine, I neither love it nor hate it; I'm basically indifferent. I won't say "holy moly what a sweet gem of a transmission!" but I have no complaints whatsoever. It's a truck, I expect it to drive like a truck, not a sports car or German luxury cruiser. I did log 65k miles of seat time on my '08 X3 with the GM 6L45 transmission, so I was already fairly used to its "quirky" shifting. That car also continually "learned" the driver's habits, but those adaptations could also be reset by turning the key to "on" (but not started) and holding the gas pedal to the floor for 30 seconds. Not sure if the same principal works on these (it might seeing as how they're both GM transmissions), but could be worth a try for those with shifting issues. The transmission seems less "confused" now than a month ago. I notice the occasional stutter with AFM kicks in and out or the occasional shudder, but I acquaint that shudder to a leaf sprung truck on bad NY roads, as load in the back erases it. My Olds kicks in the back like a branded mule, so I'm used to hard shifting cars too; that 31 year old 2004-r never hunts, gets confused, or shifts wrong.

Fuel economy went down maybe 1-2MPG depending on how I'm driving. Just unplug it before you take it to the dealer and no warranty issues. It doesn't tune or make changes to your computer at all.

Archived