Who likes their 6 Speed?

320 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 5.3, 2,000 miles. Mostly city driving. For that I use L (5), keeps the motor in v8, its really happy to up shift, but that powerful motor doesn't seem to care.

Looking forward to summer, getting tired of truck already. Prefer to save the truck for bad weather, get the bike out for the summer.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also drop down into M5 in city driving. I find the response and overall control of the truck much better that if it has to use it's "brain" for changing from or to V4 mode.

I also turn off "Grade Braking" most of the time.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2017 Silverado 1500 double cab, 5.3, max tow, 3.73 4X4. This truck replaced a 2013 5.3 w/ 3.42's.

The transmission is good, and seems to be getting better with mileage (currently 3400 mi). Its not totally smooth like the 2013. It seems to want to get right to the overdrives real quick, that puts the rpms low and I feel a bit of converter stutter. Almost like the converter cant decide to lock up or not.

If you put it in M5 it really works nice, so its probably the nature of the beast. They try to ring every mile out of a tank of gas, so we get a truck that wants to act like a economy car!

It is really funny looking back to my older trucks like the 1987 Silverado 4X4 with a 350 and 700r4 and 3:08 gears.

That thing got 14 city and 18 highway, no complicated electronics or computer controlled transmission.

20,000 flawless trouble free miles no matter what I ask of it or what mode I'm in. Smartest slush box I've ever owned. Works seamlessly with the AFM. Love the coast down braking. Hint: You have to actually lift before the stop sign to know it's there. :idiot:

I have tried to like it but so far it annoys the heck out of me. It sounds and feels like I just hit a pothole or ran over some buzzy speed strips or it clunks for no reason. I aint going to lie. It sucks!

I thought the 6L80 in my 2013 1500 and now the 6L90 in my 2500 do just fine. My major concern was other factors as to why I ditched the 1500. The 6 spd is pretty darn good with the 4.10 diffs in my 2500.

I like mine better now that I have the range AFM disabler. When the AFM was still working it couldn't make up it's mind on what gear to be in.

I like mine better now that I have the range AFM disabler. When the AFM was still working it couldn't make up it's mind on what gear to be in.

I still have my Range V4 dis-abler but never use it anymore. My truck can set for several days and if I forget to pull it out, bye bye no startie, LOL.

I still have my Range V4 dis-abler but never use it anymore. My truck can set for several days and if I forget to pull it out, bye bye no startie, LOL.

Lol. I daily drive mine do I don't have to worry about that.

Lol. I daily drive mine do I don't have to worry about that.

If you see some blue light from you Range that is an indication that it is using power and after a few days can drain on your battery.

Just got 2017 Sierra totally unhappy with trans, 500 miles and was reprogrammed. Dealer says has to be driven for it to "learn" very skeptical.

I was skeptical when they told me that as well however I'm a believer as mine is now very smooth shifting with no more clunkiness. I can't tell you how long it took as I had been driving in M5 as suggested here but got tired of pushing buttons every time I started the truck (I barely have 3,000 miles in 9 months)

Archived