Who likes their 6 Speed?

320 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

hm...so is there any active solution or just the options he listed (stop using, unplug every time you get out, better battery)? are other brands better about this?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hm...so is there any active solution or just the options he listed (stop using, unplug every time you get out, better battery)? are other brands better about this?

I do NOT know of any other maker of a product like the Range but I will stop short of saying there isn't... I just don't know of any.

Not sure about another battery because the Range being plugged in will continue to draw whenever it is plugged in regardless if your are driving or not. There is even a disclaimer on the web page.

Some guys just pull the sifter down into M and drive around town in M5 which will accomplish the same thing (to eliminate V4 mode).

I do NOT know of any other maker of a product like the Range but I will stop short of saying there isn't... I just don't know of any.

Not sure about another battery because the Range being plugged in will continue to draw whenever it is plugged in regardless if your are driving or not. There is even a disclaimer on the web page.

Some guys just pull the sifter down into M and drive around town in M5 which will accomplish the same thing (to eliminate V4 mode).

thanks for the response!

Well now I'm confused. I have a 2015 with a 6 speed. I thought all 2015's had 6 speeds and it wasn't until 2016 that the 8 speeds came out. :confused:

Anyway, my 2015 has 12,000 miles on it. The 6 speed can be a little clunky sometimes but it doesn't bother me at all. No issues.

Depends on trim level in the GMC world. SLTs and up get 8 speed. I believe over at Chevy an LTZ or higher is needed to get the 8. Even on the 5.3s.

As far as my experience with the 6L80, it either learned and got used to me or I learned and got used to it. Likely the latter. It was a real pain in the beginning. Now only the occasional stutter likely due to a coincidence of light throttle pressure at the same time it wants to shift.

All of these trans woes from either 6 or 8 speed can be directly attributed to the MPG wars. The trans is trying to get into OD lockup ASAP so the Chevy hipster can talk about another JD Power award nobody cares about.

• 1 month later...

The 6 speed has taken some getting used to. Especially the downshift. Coming from a Ram Hemi 8-speed I expected it though. Truck clearly outshines the Ram everywhere else, but the transmission is just "eh"

i hate mine. it shifts like a massey fergeson... who the hell wants to upshift as you start going around a 90 degree corner just to have it downshift 2 gears and chirp the tires. so frustrating.

Some things that do help your situation ive found that dont void the warranty.

Range device is a must.

drive in M mode or disable grade braking

Turn off T/C (it does help)

Shove a paint stick behind the FLEXIBLE gas pedal bracket to make it rigid.

Im tuning mine this summer after i have the dealer service the trans. just waiting on the truck to have some downtime so i can play with it correctly.

i hate mine. it shifts like a massey fergeson... who the hell wants to upshift as you start going around a 90 degree corner just to have it downshift 2 gears and chirp the tires. so frustrating.

Some things that do help your situation ive found that dont void the warranty.

Range device is a must.

drive in M mode or disable grade braking

Turn off T/C (it does help)

Shove a paint stick behind the FLEXIBLE gas pedal bracket to make it rigid.

Im tuning mine this summer after i have the dealer service the trans. just waiting on the truck to have some downtime so i can play with it correctly.

I would like to know how you are turning off traction control. It is my understanding that it automatically re-engages after 30 or 35 mph.

I would like to know how you are turning off traction control. It is my understanding that it automatically re-engages after 30 or 35 mph.

ur thinking of stabilitrac. t/c and stabilitrac are two different things

there is a button alongside the bed lights, parking sensor, etc under the radio bezel

Yes, I believe that is traction control, which will re-enable after reaching a speed of 30 or 35 mph. I don't think there is a way to turn it off and to have it stay off.

Archived