Who likes their 6 Speed?

320 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The 6L80 is awesome in my SS Sedan. It's all in the shit pickup programming. Once all of these pickups get out of the warranty period the tuners will be busy! Or, I could copy the Trans tune out of my SS and put it in your sierra/silveraydo, for a fee of course....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I believe that is traction control, which will re-enable after reaching a speed of 30 or 35 mph. I don't think there is a way to turn it off and to have it stay off.

it stays off if you hit it. if you hold it down it will take off stabilitrac witch will come back on after 30mph but t/c wont

Well, since my truck hit about 3200 miles it has been a whole lot less fidgety in the transmission dept. In fact, it's smoothed out considerably and I hardly ever notice it acting clanky or unruly in it's shifts anymore. She's been a dream the last 900 miles or so! Feels solid, feels good!!

If you have to drive a vehicle in a different manner than designed in order to quell design issues...that is a major problem. For the most part mine is ok, after a few reflashes, but still occasionally gets confused or exhibits "chuggling."

my 6 speed sucks. the transmission acts like is super confused all the time. It flares, has harsh down shifts and had a crazy delay when you try to merge in traffic. truck has about 11k on it now

This sums up how my transmission has been since day 1 and many dealer reprograms later. I have found if i put it in M5 when driving around town it is significantly better, i really think its the AFM that makes it do this as well as other driveability issues.

My old 06's 4 speed was worlds better from a shifting and driveability standpoint.

Has anyone else received a letter from a law firm about issues with the 14/15 Silverado? My daughter received one on a Cruze she no longer owns but this is a first for me on my truck.

It cites transmission, engine and electrical issues with these trucks.

I am thinking it is some sort of scam...

finally got my hands on a sprint booster. why didnt i do this two years ago.................. takes 90% of the lazyness of the pedal away, doesn't void the warranty.

I have it on my Diesel x5 and its amazing for what it does. Makes it so much more fun to drive.

• 1 month later...

Not towing just driving 22K on the odometer, catastrophic transmission failure. Finally pulled it into low and got off the road without my family dying. 3 days short of a month without the truck (which I needed), no offer of a loaner, no new transmission (got a hayseed that can rebuild it at this dealership). Today 25,200 miles transmission shifts 19 times in a half mile on the freeway, turns the check engine light on. Call dealer and they say bring it in Monday? Really that's five days without my truck and who knows how many more? 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 that cost way more than it's worth for this kind of reliability.

I guess my verdict is still out. I drove a '14 with the 5.3, 3:42 rear-end and 6 speed for 30k miles with zero issues. I had the very occasional clunk, but nothing concerning. Now I have a '17 with the exact same drivetrain, and I hate the transmission! Thing upshifts two freaking gears every time I turn a corner, and I come out of the turn at 1000 rpm, with absolutely no get up and go unless I hammer down on it. I only have 500 miles on the new truck, but I'm not impressed so far...especially after the good experience I had with the old one.

I had a '16 SLT Z71, 5.3, 3.42 with the 8 speed. Nothing short of horrible excuse.

Now have '16 SLT 2WD, 5.3, 3.42 with the 6 speed. Perfect? No. Am I thrilled anyway? Yes.

I note a bunch of higher-optioned '17s on the lot with 6 speeds. What does that say?

I got my '14 6.2L with 6 speed late in the year after the '15s were on the lot. The only difference was starting with the '15 model year they started putting the 8 speeds with the 6.2s but left the 5.3s with the 6 speed. I almost paid a couple thousand extra to get the '15 model year because of that tranny but I'm glad I didn't. Although I just traded it in, that engine tranny combo was perfect! Shift points were perfect, hard acceleration was perfect, grade assist was very good, tow haul mode was money....makes me miss her talking about it ?

I guess my verdict is still out. I drove a '14 with the 5.3, 3:42 rear-end and 6 speed for 30k miles with zero issues. I had the very occasional clunk, but nothing concerning. Now I have a '17 with the exact same drivetrain, and I hate the transmission! Thing upshifts two freaking gears every time I turn a corner, and I come out of the turn at 1000 rpm, with absolutely no get up and go unless I hammer down on it. I only have 500 miles on the new truck, but I'm not impressed so far...especially after the good experience I had with the old one.

Same shit mine does. I THINK it is getting better, and it is fine if I throttle it more, but god forbid you turn a corner and lightly get back on the throttle. You can feel quick thumping, either shifts and then lockup or a shudder for some reason, then you end up bogging at 1k RPM trying to accelerate out of the turn. I was easy on it, and drove mostly highway after I bought it. I have been intentionally driving more aggressive lately to see if I can get it to stop, and it seems to be working. I have 445 miles on it, about 150 of them intentionally being more aggressive to force the trans to learn and it won't upshift so much after turns most of the time anymore.

Archived