Who likes their 6 Speed?

320 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I got my '14 6.2L with 6 speed late in the year after the '15s were on the lot. The only difference was starting with the '15 model year they started putting the 8 speeds with the 6.2s but left the 5.3s with the 6 speed. I almost paid a couple thousand extra to get the '15 model year because of that tranny but I'm glad I didn't. Although I just traded it in, that engine tranny combo was perfect! Shift points were perfect, hard acceleration was perfect, grade assist was very good, tow haul mode was money....makes me miss her talking about it

I have a 14 6.2 with the 6 speed as well and am very happy with it no complaints what so ever and like you I was going to hold out for the 15 with the 8 speed sure glad I didn't,I still have mine and will be keeping it for quite sometime as it is an absolute pleasure to drive .

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My '17 has a 6 speed and it works pretty good so far. I like it a lot more than the 4sp in my previous truck. It's so much nicer for passing, getting up to speed, etc. It also works waaay better for general hwy use. That combined with the higher output of the new 5.3's means it doesn't have to downshift very often & when it does, it only has to go a small step. Not near as much drama as on the old 4 speeds.

• 2 weeks later...

2017 1500 with the 5.3L / 6 speed trans and I like it. It drives really well and my only complaint is that the shifts could be a little quicker but hey thats what a tuner is for

If anyone is still having issues with their Silverado and hasn't yet done the TSB 17-na-070 transmission calibration update on theirs, get it done. It is worth it, and corrected a lot of the lugging/acceleration issues I experienced. It is a night and day difference. I still feel like it could benefit from a tune, but I think it corrected 95% of the issues I was having. I have about 120 miles on it after the tune so we will see how it does.

Have a 2014 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 5.3L 6 speed with 50K miles.

I pull my 18.5' Nitro Fish & Ski with absolutely no problem what so ever. I just pulled it from Austin, TX to Lake Falcon in Zapata, TX, drove like nothing was being pulled. Love it.....

The only problems I've ever been aware of in a 6 speed OR and 8 speed have been posted on here.

Never experienced one, never heard a customer complaint about one, never worried about one.

It's all been what's been online here, and never in the dealership I'm in

• 2 weeks later...

The only problems I've ever been aware of in a 6 speed OR and 8 speed have been posted on here.

Never experienced one, never heard a customer complaint about one, never worried about one.

It's all been what's been online here, and never in the dealership I'm in

Strange, everyone i know that owns one hates it for the same reasons i do. one of my best friends just got a 2017 with the 5.3 and 6 speed and already wishes he had his old 08 4 speed back.

I had one of the issues on Sunday that i don't experience very often. Coming home from Maine rolling in bumper to bumper someone cut in front of me and i had to slam on the brakes at the same time as it was shifting. Once i got off the brakes and on the acceleration voting device(aka gas pedal) the truck just sat there for ~3 seconds before it decided to accept my vote and accelerate. My truck has done this under these exact conditions since it was brand new, many complaints to my dealer, some re-flashes and learning resets have done nothing. The only cure i have found is locking it into 1st when im rolling in bumper to bumper which is crazy in my opinion. My 06 4 speed never did this .....

Strange, everyone i know that owns one hates it for the same reasons i do. one of my best friends just got a 2017 with the 5.3 and 6 speed and already wishes he had his old 08 4 speed back.

I had one of the issues on Sunday that i don't experience very often. Coming home from Maine rolling in bumper to bumper someone cut in front of me and i had to slam on the brakes at the same time as it was shifting. Once i got off the brakes and on the acceleration voting device(aka gas pedal) the truck just sat there for ~3 seconds before it decided to accept my vote and accelerate. My truck has done this under these exact conditions since it was brand new, many complaints to my dealer, some re-flashes and learning resets have done nothing. The only cure i have found is locking it into 1st when im rolling in bumper to bumper which is crazy in my opinion. My 06 4 speed never did this .....

You might have an issue with your throttle position sensor, which is causing the issues you mention....

I just got my trans fluid changed/flushed at the dealer, at 95,560 miles and i can tell it shifts so much better and it rides smoother. Its not hunting for gears as it often did.

Also got he rear dif fluid changed and got the air induction/carbon cleaning service. Runs and idles better than before. Hopefully the mpgs go up as well.

You might have an issue with your throttle position sensor, which is causing the issues you mention....

The TPS has been checked and shown to be good, it has done this since the day i bought the truck so its not a new thing. Like i said this particular thing only happens when i get off the throttle suddenly at the exact same time as it is upshifting. Otherwise it does not hesitate for 3 seconds like this. I still have other gripes with the transmission like harsh shifts and sometimes it hunts for the right gear. I think its programmed poorly, my dealers transmission guy thinks the same and off the record he has suggested a tune to try to fix it since GM wont. I have not tried a tune yet but its in the near term plans.

• 3 weeks later...

I have noticed something with this 6 speed (2016 CC, SLT, 5.3L)

When I am on the highway or in my neighborhood going down a hill and I let off the gas for about 10 seconds, I feel the torque converter lock or unlock, resulting in the truck surging forward and sometimes clunking.

Does anybody else feel this? The truck isn't shifting... it is just the feel of the torque converter lock or unlock (I don't know which)

Archived