Where is the factory TRAILER BRAKE CONTROLLER located???

I bought a new 2016 2500hd yesterday. This morning I ordered a good brake controller for when I'm pulling my trailer.

Then I get to looking at the window sticker and see, for $555.00, the truck has the TRAILERING EQUIPMENT PACKAGE which consists of the HITCH and a TRAILER BRAKE CONTROL. But where is it? Its not at the bottom below the steering wheel. It looks like a radar detector. But I dont see it. Is it hidden internally?

There is a bracket and plug under the steering wheel about where a brake controller would go. Maybe one plugs in there?

is%20this%20where%20the%20brake%20contol

thank you guys!!

does this factory brake controller get the job done?

any complaints?

OEM works better than the aftermarket stuff I've used previously.... its been my experience that you set it and forget it. no issues on my 14 and 16 year model pickups using the OEM trailer brake setup.

• Like 2

I ordered the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 from etrailer.com

I contacted them to see if its not to late to cancel.

probably the best aftermarket setup out there, but if I had OEM setup on GM pickup I would stay with that.

• Like 1

I agree, have towed with a P3 on another rig and my current 07 has the first generation factory brake controller and it is night and day difference. The integrated controller is tied into the anti lock brakes of the truck while the P3 and others react to the change in momentum to apply brakes. Now the newer trucks have a sway control feature that applies trailer brakes to stop sway so no more reaching for the manual control. I also love the grade brake feature of the transmission as that really saves on brake pads. Also looking forward to exhaust brakes on my new duramax truck on order.

• Like 1

I've had both - the factory one and a Techonsha aftermarket. The factory one is WAY better! Not even on the same playing field.

I had a Tekonsha Prodigy on my '11. I haven't towed w/ the new truck yet.

The factory one is WAY better. It ties into the truck ABS and the trailer brakes and can activate them whenever it detects trailer sway. Plus you get the readout on your DIC screen (right between the speedo and tach).

FYI -- the connector that you show just below the steering wheel is the OBDII port. It is used to diagnose problems, codes, etc on all vehicles built after around 1995.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My truck says towing package on window sticker and didnt even come with a brake controller. It has a cubby hole there??

For those that need wiring but don't have electric trailer brakes.

Edited by redwngr
  • Like 1