2015 GMC 1500 Tailgate Lock Failure

roti83

I have a 2015 GMC 1500 c/w backup camera and bakflip box cover. If the tailgate lock fails in the lock position how can you open the tailgate. This has not happened to me but want to be prepared. If the key will not unlock is there a way opening the tailgate without damaging either the tailgate handle or the box cover. From my internet search I could not find any solutions. For older models you could remove the bezel and get acces to the latch rods but the new handle assemblies appear to have the bezel integrated with the handle/actuator assembly. Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks.

I have installed an electric lock activated by the key fob. I also have a bakflip box cover. Recently my tailgate was frozen to the box cover seals and would not open. No problem but it got me thinking what if? the lock fails, actually a double failure - solenoid won't respond and key will not unlock the tailgate. With the bakflip latched in the down position how can you manually open the tailgate without using a can opener to get to the latch rods. As previously mentioned the tailgate handle bezel on older models could be removed giving acces to the tailgate latch rods. The 2015 + handle/lock/camera assembly appears to be one piece so the only option is to open the bakflip cover and remove the access panel. So I need to find a nondestructive way to open the bakflip cover. I have some ideas but wondered if someone had any ideas for opening the tailgate in this situation. Thanks for your response.

Archived