Keep my 1500 or look into a dmax...

I do a lot of driving I like the idea of a nice small slip tank because fuel is always different where I go for price and I also love the sound of a Cummins and dmax towing or with simple tunes and deletes

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you plan on a lot of miles, an older mechanical engine would be my choice...

The old 12 valve Cummins was hard to beat, they need fuel and air to run, the only electronics was the fuel shut off solenoid. They have a heating grid, no glow plugs to fail. They were essentially a tractor meant to survive at 55mph at that time...

The 7.3 was a beast too in its day...the only issue I ever had with a 7.3l was the cold weather heating elements. The 95 we had at work was a small environmental drill rig that weighed around 14k (maxed out that super duty chassis of that time), and it pulled like a freight train with the 5spd.

Other than people think they are gold, I'd own an older 1st Gen Dodge Cummins myself; but I can't find one that's reasonably priced or not completely trashed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

If you plan on a lot of miles, an older mechanical engine would be my choice...

The old 12 valve Cummins was hard to beat, they need fuel and air to run, the only electronics was the fuel shut off solenoid. They have a heating grid, no glow plugs to fail. They were essentially a tractor meant to survive at 55mph at that time...

The 7.3 was a beast too in its day...the only issue I ever had with a 7.3l was the cold weather heating elements. The 95 we had at work was a small environmental drill rig that weighed around 14k (maxed out that super duty chassis of that time), and it pulled like a freight train with the 5spd.

Other than people think they are gold, I'd own an older 1st Gen Dodge Cummins myself; but I can't find one that's reasonably priced or not completely trashed.

We think alike I might be better off. Looking at a 2000 era 7.3 that's not totally garbage sink a bit to get the maintenance up and use that as my big ol travel work tow rig

I had same dilemma . Went with 6.2 sierra. It tows like a champ and a the auto 4x4 is great for rain etc. I use auto all the time on gravel roads etc.

How's the milage for you? I like being able to get some good tunes for a diesel

I have a 13 6L 2500 with 130L tank, even with the larger fuel tank it wont get as far as a 1500 with a 90L tank. 21L/100 vs 11.5L/100. Do the math.

The duramaxes that I've had have always got mileage similar to a 5.3 1500, doing the same DD chores.

That said, based on info from everyone I know that runs a 6.0, I'd have to agree with your statement comparing the 6.0 and 5.3.

There are lots of places where a 6.0 is a good choice, but If long runs were the primary job to be done, a 6.0 would not be on my list.

The duramaxes that I've had have always got mileage similar to a 5.3 1500, doing the same DD chores.

That said, based on info from everyone I know that runs a 6.0, I'd have to agree with your statement comparing the 6.0 and 5.3.

There are lots of places where a 6.0 is a good choice, but If long runs were the primary job to be done, a 6.0 would not be on my list.

Compared on even playing fields, the extra cost of diesel and DEF, and additional oil and filters...the difference in cost per mile between a diesel and a 6.0l is closer than we think. I know my Cummins was 19mpg average, and my 6.0l is far cheaper to own...even as a daily driver. Just an oil change...12 quarts versus 6 quarts.

How's the milage for you? I like being able to get some good tunes for a diesel

On HWY i get 22 MPG consistently. When Towing a 6000 trailer I got 11 on HWY. In City I get 14 but I love the power of the 6.2 and I press her hard.

When doing cross country runs, I miss the extra range provided by the larger fuel tank on the HD's

The 34 gallon tank on the diesel (avail on 6'6 and 8' beds) is awesome. Up to 600 miles on a tank if unloaded and avgering 18mpg. Why GM doesn't offer the 34 gal tank on 6.6' standard bed 1500's is beyond me.

Towing with a gas truck on the standard 26 gal tank = lots of refueling stops.

My other option I thought of was buying an older Cummins or 7.3 Ford maybe keep the miles off my truck and use ones of those old beauties as the work rig

My bro owns a 99 F250 ccsb 4x4. 240k miles original engine. Runs great! Transmission was replaced at least once. I think they had overheating issues towing? Only other big issue is the 7.3 hates cold starts. Must be plugged in if weather is below 32 degrees overnight.

A tune and performance exhaust helped performance a lot.

You can beat the living daylights out of a 6.0, even replace it for what a set of injectors cost in the diesel. If you don't need the diesel, paying the extra $10k+, then more in maintenance doesn't make sense from a financial perspective. But neither does a sports car, and I'm not going to tell anyone not to get a Corvette.

As far as the 7.3, they seem like they don't even really WANT to run on a good day. If you even compare them to a newer gasser like the 6.0 or Ford 6.2, they aren't even an afterthought. Just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I am firmly in the 6.0L camp for my needs. There is a good argument that if one is towing for long distances frequently, then Dmax is the way to go. I tend to stay more local and any towing is not recreational. While the 6.0 is not very fuel efficient, it is tolerable. Mine has averaged 14 mpg for lifetime in my 2015 2500. Have pulled off some 17-18 mpg averages on road trips, of course, not towing in those situations. Over it's life, it has only been 1 mpg less average than my previous 1500 5.3. And the 6.0 is just about the most bullet proof engine in the GM stable right now. It is quite common for them to rack up over 300,000 miles with no major repairs. And that is in commercial use where folks are not inclined to treat vehicles very well. And if one does need an engine, replacing the 6.0 is cheaper than most major repairs on a Dmax.

All depends on what you need, what you are doing, and where you are doing it. I haven't liked a pickup this well since my '98 2500 with a 454. I am going to keep this one for a long, long time. 13,000 lb trailer rated and 20,500 lb gross combination rated is more than adequate for my needs. And it can use any fuel at the pump except diesel. E0, E10, E15, E20, E30, E50, and E85 which are all around me. I can use the fuel that, when mpg and cost are figured in, offer me the lowest cost per mile of operation. I am not fond of limited, higher priced fuel choices of the 6.2 or the Dmax.

My pops drives a 97 dodge diesel auto he bought new he gets 24 mpg. My mother drives a 2000 7.3 one ton Ford bought new about the same. He's 79 she's 78 she drives 50 miles round trip every day ( 5 days ) to the y to exercise. His still looks new hers has a few love taps on it. The both run great require little mantainess. They refuse to buy new ones and they could. If you could buy them like that now I have one but they have been ruined.

Archived