Took the Fox 2.0 plunge

I just pulled the trigger on Fox 2.0 performance shocks, front and rear. I'm definitely going to install the rears myself but I'm a tad leery about doing the fronts. I have found several videos on youtube that walk through the process but I would appreciate and welcome any input my fellow do-it-yourself'ers can offer. The following appears to be a good video I thought I might use as a guide;

Thanks for any and all input! :)

BTW: I got the fronts on Amazon for $383.48, shipped. There are two left in stock if anyone is interested;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GRWTU32/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just swapping out the struts shouldn't be that bad, even on the ground with just a jack and jack stands. I've done it before and to change the front, took me about 2.5 hours or so and that's with lots of beer breaks. Now if you're unloading the springs and just changing the shock assembly, you definitely need the right tools or a shops help. I've seen people change those out using C clamps on the springs but phuk that! I'm not doing it.

I just pulled the trigger on Fox 2.0 performance shocks, front and rear. I'm definitely going to install the rears myself but I'm a tad leery about doing the fronts. I have found several videos on youtube that walk through the process but I would appreciate and welcome any input my fellow do-it-yourself'ers can offer. The following appears to be a good video I thought I might use as a guide;

Thanks for any and all input! :)

BTW: I got the fronts on Amazon for $383.48, shipped. There are two left in stock if anyone is interested;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GRWTU32/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not to be a dick, but that's definitely the price for only (1) coilover. Not the pair.

It would be $ 766 for the pair. + $240 for the rears (since you need 2).

https://www.amazon.com/Fox-Racing-980-24-660-Performance-Shock/dp/B009X1YNQY/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1484597197&sr=1-1&keywords=980-24-660

Bringing the total to $ 1,006.00 - MRT offers this setup for $910 on here. I'd PM him if I was you and get a better deal.

Return your stand alone coilover to Amazon.

And in regards to the install, if you have a lift/some jacks you'll be perfectly fine doing this at home in the garage.

Just make sure you get your front end realigned.

Thanks everyone, this boosted my confidence level significantly.... and yes this is the complete part, coil-over & shock.

Not to be a dick, but that's definitely the price for only (1) coilover. Not the pair.

https://www.amazon.com/Fox-Racing-980-24-660-Performance-Shock/dp/B009X1YNQY/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1484597197&sr=1-1&keywords=980-24-660

Bringing the total to $ 1,006.00 - MRT offers this setup for $910 on here. I'd PM him if I was you and get a better deal.

And in regards to the install, if you have a lift/some jacks you'll be perfectly fine doing this at home in the garage.

My bad. You are correct, I let that one blow right past me, thanks for the correction and the reply!

I installed the 2.0 shocks on the rear of my F-150 several months ago and have been very pleased with the change. Hope you enjoy them!

Good to hear! :thumbs:

UPDATE:

I have installed the rear shocks which went as expected (I forgot how big a pain it is working on the floor, on your back, under your truck).

Here's one of the rear shocks installed;

fox1.jpg

I have installed the right front coilover at this point. That proved to be as difficult as I imagined it could be. The Rancho came out easily but the Fox it longer than stock and I could not get the UCA to brake loose. I did disconnect the stabilizer bar. I didn't think to take pictures but what I did to get the lower part of the shock to go over the mount, I first took up the play on the back two studs on top of the strut by tightening the nuts, not real tight but just enough to have the strut butted up against the mount. I then took an old belt wrapped it around the shock then stepped up on the brake caliper and pulled at the same time. That was just enough to get the bottom part of the shock to slide over onto the fork. I'm doing the left front on Monday and I hope this trick works again (if needed), I'll try to take pictures and post them.

Here's a comparison of the Rancho and Fox from struts;

fox-rancho.jpg

Are the 2.0's compatible with the aluminum control arms yet?

I called Fox the other day and told them I have aluminum control arms, the rep told me they are only making the one model now and it is compatible for all 1500 model trucks, steel or aluminum...... of course, time will tell.

Installed the left-front coil over this morning, I used the same technique I previously posted by using a belt and stepping down on the brake caliper. The only thing I loosened was the stabilizer bar. I took this after I got it installed but gives you an idea how I did it;

install.jpg

I took the truck out for a lengthy drive and put the shocks through a test by driving over a very rough railroad crossing I'm familiar with and there was no doubt Fox shocks definitely improved the ride. Very happy I replaced the Ranchos.

I called Fox the other day and told them I have aluminum control arms, the rep told me they are only making the one model now and it is compatible for all 1500 model trucks, steel or aluminum...... of course, time will tell.

In the new 2017 Catalog, there is no mention of Aluminum or Steel control arms anymore for any of the Chevy / Gm Applications. All systems are designed for both trucks per FOX.

Thanks Vetteran!! Yes, we beat Amazon on pretty much every brand we sell.

Unless otherwise noted, all 2.0 FOX Shocks are sold individually and all application specific 2.5 shocks and coilovers are sold in pairs.

We do fronts for $690 delivered, or the whole set for $910. We also have shocks for lifted applications if you want to upgrade your current lift!

Archived