Leather "Appointed" Seats

Even the front seats are mostly vinyl. I think the only leather parts are the bolsters on the seat and backrest.

Seating surfaces = parts that touch the body, bolsters, seats and backs and front of headrest in fronts......backs are vinyl. It's not like it is real leather anyway (like I had in my older Caddy) - It is bonded leather, i.e. crappy pieces of leather ground to dust, mixed with a bonded polymer agent, stamped onto a flexible matrix and sprayed with a vinyl/rubber based paint.

Only reason I get them is to get the heated seats and makes it easier to slide my a$$ out of the vehicle. And I never get the ventilated ones with holes which are easier to rip, more difficult to clean, and blow dirt and old fart residue back at you.

Want real, tanned leather?...go Bentley or Rolls or go aftermarket.

Edited by Thomcat
  • Like 2

The term "leather" is used pretty loosely as it applies to upholstery and clothing! In some cases this isn't a bad thing. My back seat cleans up pretty good after a trip to the beach with the grandkids and dog! I am curious about the comment suggesting the High Country and Denali use a higher quality leather. Is this accurate?

Yeah I had a few older mercedes, they use a fake leather called mbtex (which they still use in 2017)

My first car actually had mbtex, sold it with 550k miles on it, the foam and the springs actually were drooping in a couple places but the fabric itself looked brand new. Hands down the most resilient seating surface I've ever seen.

Edited by truckguy82

Like they said. Shit leather. If you want anything close to real leather your looking at high county or Denali

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, with a better grade of $hit leather dust! Same crap maybe a different embossed pattern or thicker non leather flexible matrix backing at a higher price. One can feel the difference in the look and feel of the skins in real tanned leather and the asymmetrical patterning of natural leather when compared with crapo painted "leather" automobile upholstery.

Won't get real leather from any GM vehicle short of a Vette with the Mulan leather seating surfaces or a 100K Escalade Platinum with comes with semi-alinine (dyed, not painted) leather- --

Escalade Platinum includes all Escalade Premium Luxury features plus upgrade to:
  • Premium semi-Aniline leather seating surfaces (the real good stuff!) for front two rows and Mulan leather (the good stuff) for third row
  • Leather wrapped instrument panel, console and upper door trim
....$93,390 before destination & options
Edited by Thomcat
  • Like 1

Although the "leather" in the trucks is not even remotely close to being real, it is a heck of a lot easier to keep clean. I had cloth in one vehicle and never again. Too easy to get stains on the stuff. ....an ex used to put on makeup in the truck (passenger seat)...damn seat looked like a clown face planted it. Nothing would get out those stains.

• Like 2

The Denali has no different leather than the same SLT truck. As said none of the domestic companies use any quality leather in their vehicles. My eyes opened once we got our Audi with the Nappa leather package. It is worlds better than any car we have ever been in before.

if it as durable as the MBTEX in my moms 90K GL I will be happy. she wears dark colored jeans and she does nit use the running boards and slides out of the car. the fake stuff looks polished but no rips at this point. i guess i get upset when they tell you its leather and it really isnt. i have 25K+ on my truck and no wear anywhere. although i do have that darn torque converter shake so take what you can get....

He lied. They are vinyl.

Yeah. He stepped on it a couple other places as well.

I have never understood why car salesmen feel the need to lie or make something up when questioned. A simple "I don't know but will find out" is a perfectly acceptable answer IMO.