GM BRINGS AXLE PRODUCTION TO U.S.A

So it looks like GM is bringing back full size truck parts production back to U.S. Maybe this will fix the vibes on the 2018 model refresh.

GM to invest $1 billion in U.S. manufacturing, move axle work...

I REALLY want to get into a new truck, but I won't hold my breath that any American made axles make it into the new trucks for years.

Just because it is American made does not always mean it will be better quality than what was made in Mexico but I hope it is.

Our Mexicans are better than their Mexicans.lol

I'm all for American made products in regards to helping our local economy, but where the products are produced isn't as important as the individual doing the work. The quality of the products are more dependent on the companies that GM contracts with and those company's quality of parts that they supply to us. The people on the assembly lines (American or Mexican) are going to be following the same instructions. Yeah there can be a sense of pride in owning an American assembled truck over a "foreign assembled" truck... but in reality, the quality will be the same. Yeah, there may be some poor quality that came out because a few of the people on the assembly line were lazy and didn't follow/pay attention to their work, but American's can be just as lazy and incoherent.

I wouldn't think it has anything to do with mexican vs american workers.

I think just retooling an entire factory would fix the quality issues. I'd bet they knew about the issues but were holding out on the large expense of retooling the mexican factory for whatever reason.

After all, most assembly line workers are actually just a living robot that the manufacturer decided was more cost effective than a robot made from metal

I have actually done "Quality testing/Inspection" in a FERD Plant in Mexico......Bringing the work back to USA is great does not make quality better. Silao is has it's pro's and con's for GM Logistically. Also, because the work comes back to USA does not necessarily mean it's going to be manufactured "IN House" Note: I have a 2016 GMC SLT known well in advance it was built in Mexico and there is not 1qty piece misaligned or incorrect. I am not kidding Nothing is observable to the eye as poor quality!

I am employed in Quality and have been.........The Quality of assembly in Mexico is TOP NOTCH! As for the components....well, USA workers can build em just as shitty as a Mexican worker can.......if not more so!

I have no doubt that when American Axle moved manufacturing to Silao, Mexico in 2011 that quality control took a hit. AAM lost a ton of experienced workers and an established manufacturing facility. It's not as easy as moving the machines to another plant and starting production back up. I worked as a machinist in college and watched a business bring equipment in to the plant. It was a chaotic nightmare. Equipment problems, inexperienced operators, management pushing bad product out to keep meet the production numbers up.

GM has been dealing with inconsistent axle quality the last few years that has to be hurting bottom line and driving customers away. This kind of stuff is unacceptable:

I genuinely hope bring axle manufacturing back will solve these problems.

I have no doubt that when American Axle moved manufacturing to Silao, Mexico in 2011 that quality control took a hit. AAM lost a ton of experienced workers and an established manufacturing facility. It's not as easy as moving the machines to another plant and starting production back up. I worked as a machinist in college and watched a business bring equipment in to the plant. It was a chaotic nightmare. Equipment problems, inexperienced operators, management pushing bad product out to keep meet the production numbers up.

GM has been dealing with inconsistent axle quality the last few years that has to be hurting bottom line and driving customers away. This kind of stuff is unacceptable:

I genuinely hope bring axle manufacturing back will solve these problems.

Totally agree! Hopefully GM's eyes will have a better handle on the incoming Parts for final Assembly and overall higher quality AXLE Assembled! Only a good thing for GM Truck buyers!

while this is great news for the American people and American workers I doubt this changes anything. Same ole piss poor quality control . It will still clunk and shudder and etc.

while this is great news for the American people and American workers I doubt this changes anything. Same ole piss poor quality control . It will still clunk and shudder and etc.

My past three GM's whether assembled in Canada, USA or Mexico have reflected excellent quality control. Fit and finish has been excellent and combined have given me hundreds of thousands of smooth, worry free miles

Archived