Steering wheel lock up

Thanks for your insights. I still drive it everywhere. I can only make it Happen in the same spot. I will bring it to a mechanic soon and let y'all know what the problem was. I've heard that sometimes with new cars you have to update the computer software because cars no have electric powered steering.

Thanks for your insights. I still drive it everywhere. I can only make it Happen in the same spot. I will bring it to a mechanic soon and let y'all know what the problem was. I've heard that sometimes with new cars you have to update the computer software because cars no have electric powered steering.

Software updates are pesky things now a days. It's possible that a software update could fix, but I really think something is killing the electrical system. I think that is why you get all the warnings as the network dies and sometimes it extends to the engine controls.

Just to rule out anything in the steering assembly, find a big parking lot and start doing circles. Slowly tighten the circle until you're at full steering wheel lock. Go both ways. If you don't get anything there, go back to where it does happen. Try it over and over again, but with different things on/off. Heater, blower, radio, headlights, heated steering wheel, etc. And see if any of that changes anything.

Anything unusual, odd, different about the location that it does happen at? Anything cell phone towers or anything? Note time of day, all that. If you can provide the shop with anything useful, it could save yourself some money or you could figure it out.

Hi! My 2014 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ runs great and drive great. Love it. One problem though... my steering wheel locks up and I will get 3-4 quick messages saying Intellik, stabillik, and park assist off. (Spelling is off for sure because I can't read them in time) it happens when my foot is off the acceleration and turning. It ONLY occurs in my friends neighborhood entrances!! Weird!! Never happens anywhere else. Usually the steering wheel locks up for 2-3 sec but today it lock up and I went up on the curb and the engine shut off. I drove home fine though. Any thoughts??

Hi! My 2014 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ runs great and drive great. Love it. One problem though... my steering wheel locks up and I will get 3-4 quick messages saying Intellik, stabillik, and park assist off. (Spelling is off for sure because I can't read them in time) it happens when my foot is off the acceleration and turning. It ONLY occurs in my friends neighborhood entrances!! Weird!! Never happens anywhere else. Usually the steering wheel locks up for 2-3 sec but today it lock up and I went up on the curb and the engine shut off. I drove home fine though. Any thoughts??

I have a 2014 Sierra with 74,000 miles. I am having the same problem. I had the exact same issue right after I bought the truck a little more than a year ago when it had 64000 miles. truck will completely stall for 2-3 seconds and flash the service stabilitrack. Al the lights will flash on dashboard as well. Took to dealership and they said it was simply a loose battery terminal. they charged me a diagnostic fee and that was it. Everything was good up till yesterday when I went to make a U-turn and it did it again. I had my kids in the truck and almost got creamed by oncoming traffic! I am truly PISSED! There is no loose terminals any where I can find this time. This truck is scary to drive and I will not put my kids in it again. Nothing like buying a $30,000 truck and being scared to drive it. Gm needs to figure this out because people will die because of this issue if they havnt already. I feel like my local dealership is out to try and avoid fixing anything they don't have to. Taking to dealer tomorrow and will report back when I hear from them, if I don't die on the way there! If anyone from GM reads this I hope yall understand your dealing with peoples lives here and this is serious.

• Like 1

I have a 2014 Sierra with 74,000 miles. I am having the same problem. I had the exact same issue right after I bought the truck a little more than a year ago when it had 64000 miles. truck will completely stall for 2-3 seconds and flash the service stabilitrack. Al the lights will flash on dashboard as well. Took to dealership and they said it was simply a loose battery terminal. they charged me a diagnostic fee and that was it. Everything was good up till yesterday when I went to make a U-turn and it did it again. I had my kids in the truck and almost got creamed by oncoming traffic! I am truly PISSED! There is no loose terminals any where I can find this time. This truck is scary to drive and I will not put my kids in it again. Nothing like buying a $30,000 truck and being scared to drive it. Gm needs to figure this out because people will die because of this issue if they havnt already. I feel like my local dealership is out to try and avoid fixing anything they don't have to. Taking to dealer tomorrow and will report back when I hear from them, if I don't die on the way there! If anyone from GM reads this I hope yall understand your dealing with peoples lives here and this is serious.

I think the death count was in the low teens for the ignition switches. It's now over 120. So far I haven't heard of any deaths for steering. I don't think they pay much attention until the death toll is in double digits. I couldn't see shit out of my Silverado at night. "Your good" is not the answer for something like that.

None of these companies really care. Chrysler has vehicles rolling out of park, Ford had vehicles dropping out park into reverse. Toyota had the unintended acceleration. Nothing is flawless. The problem is they all avoid the issue at first until they are called on the carpet by the NTSB.

Thanks for the replies. Dayton, please give us your feedback as I will for mine. I'm bringing mine in to Gerry lane GMC-Cadillac this Wednesday or Thursday. If they say something about the battery, I will tell them about your situation and how your problem continued. I've called mechanics around town and some have no clue as to what the problem might be. I think it is an electrical problem and not mechanical. Something is causing the stabilitrack to go off and then it causes it to shut off. Hopefully Gerry Lane knows what the problem is and can fix it. I'm also going to get the recals fixed while it's in.