Fun Button is Broken?

I grew up in the lake effect snow belt, so blowing donuts in parking lots was like a full time job in high school. Its been a long time since I indulged, but I had my kids in the car with a fresh empty parking lot full of snow. So what the heck, i was fixin to learn them a thing or two about fun. I turned OFF the traction control button in my 2016 crew cab z71, turned the wheel, hit the gas, and about half way into a classic donut, the GM electronic nanny said nope, no fun for you. Even though traction control button was turned off, it was breaking the rear wheels to stop me from sliding.

I felt like such a failure, a grown man that could not rip a donut in the snow. Now reading the manual, I see you push the fun button once to turn off traction control, but you have to push and hold the button to also turn off the stabilitrak electronic stability control. So basically the TCS was off but Stabilitrak was still on when I tried to do a donut. Man i cant wait for the next snowfall now, i need to redeem myself in front of my wife and kids.

I did notice in the manual that stabilitrak turns itself back on regardless at 35 mph. the only way to truly turn it off it to lock your truck 4x4 low.

Just thought I would let everyone new to the club know about this if you didn't take the time to read the 533 page manual.

thanks for the other fun button post. i guess i better keep my snow donuts under 20. but the question is, if you punch the gas in the snow and the rear wheels spin like crazy, what does the truck use for your "speed"? you might be going 10 mph but your back wheels might be spinning 45 mph which would cause the truck to think you exceeded the 35 mph limit to auto-turn on the stablitrak?

thanks for the other fun button post. i guess i better keep my snow donuts under 20. but the question is, if you punch the gas in the snow and the rear wheels spin like crazy, what does the truck use for your "speed"? you might be going 10 mph but your back wheels might be spinning 45 mph which would cause the truck to think you exceeded the 35 mph limit to auto-turn on the stablitrak?

Speed is calculated based off of the transmission output shaft speed, not actual vehicle speed.

Archived