Dexron VI transmission fluid after 32k miles

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has the auto option?

Are you asking or telling? I don't know the 1500s that well, and my 2500 has a manual tcase (for comparison).

I would assume the auto transfercase with its clutches would be harder on fluid?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Are you asking or telling? I don't know the 1500s that well, and my 2500 has a manual tcase.

It's an auto case with awd,4hi,and 4 low. Since you have a manual case is your fluid black when changed?

I'm officially out of wine glasses my wife won't let me ruin

Was just gonna comment on that!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It's an auto case with awd,4hi,and 4 low. Since you have a manual case is your fluid black when changed?

No, mine looks like new each time, but it really has nothing in it (i.e., clutches) that would degrade it.

So I'm doing a partial flush on my transmission fluid on my 2014 6.2 with a 6l80.

I'm sucking it out of the dipstick tube. I got almost exactly 4.5 quarts out.

32k miles

Left side is fresh AC delco dextron vi (same fluid as factory)

Right side is what came out of my truck (which I thought was kinda pink when looking at the dipstick)

Wow!

How did you get 4.5 quarts the most important can get is 2? Did you do this when the transmission was cold.

How did you get 4.5 quarts the most important can get is 2? Did you do this when the transmission was cold.

Did it once cold and once at 190.

Both times 4.5 quarts

All i did was stick the hose in, and it started sucking air after 4.5 quarts, no technique to it

I probably take things to extreme, but it fits in my comfort zone. I change all drive train factory fill fluids before 10,000 miles on a new vehicle. Then usually at 60,000 mile intervals after that. Just a look at a Xfer magnetic plug at that first change will convince any skeptic. I don't do partial changes on a trans. I do complete fluid and filter changes every time. Just me. I have not lost a trans, Xfer, diff, etc in 45 years. Was it because of what I did, or just dumb luck? Probably the latter, but I feel much better doing it this way.

I changed mine at 72500 and it looked awful. I pulled the fluid from the dipstick tube with a pump and then dropped the pan, pulled the rest out of the pan I could get. I then changed the filter. This was enough to fill a 5 quart jug all the way to the top of the jug. The fluid looked like chocolate milk to me. I have put about 500 miles on it so far. I do have 8 more quarts on the shelf. I am going to pull through the dipstick tube and refill again. I will add a picture later as I am on my phone and don't know how.

These Thermostically controlled transmisions run to hot in my opinion and the stock tune sucks also which will contribute to the discoloration and degradation of the fluid.

RT

correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I read somewhere in here that you bypassed the thermostat?

Did it once cold and once at 190.

Both times 4.5 quarts

All i did was stick the hose in, and it started sucking air after 4.5 quarts, no technique to it

Finally got it to work, I had to do it with the transmission cool. The hose I have gets to soft with it hot I'm guessing. Thanks for the Wright up!

correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I read somewhere in here that you bypassed the thermostat?

Yes I took that piece of shit out and made a bypass plug for it. I'm in the south and even though it gets in the 20's the trans still warms up just fine. Summer time it runs a nice 157-180 in traffic.

RT

Yes I took that piece of shit out and made a bypass plug for it. I'm in the south and even though it gets in the 20's the trans still warms up just fine. Summer time it runs a nice 157-180 in traffic.

RT

You wouldn't want to do a walk through/right up on that would you? Removing the thermostat would help with a flush.

You wouldn't want to do a walk through/right up on that would you? Removing the thermostat would help with a flush.

I think he did actually somewhere, theres another video on youtube showing it.

Nobody explains exactly how to do it though. Sounds like its something thats obvious once you get it off and apart.

Archived