Steering assist reduced

So I have had this message for the past week. Every time I start the truck. I can't tell a difference in the steering at all. I have a 2017 LT 2wd 5.3 with 3,600 miles. I do not have any other messages. I have searched around but it seems to always be with stability trac but I have no issues there. Any ideas?

0fabed2b973acf3945d4a9762adeca9e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To add I have already taken the negative cable off over night and it didn't come up in the first crank but the very next one it did. It doesn't wait either. It pop up immediately upon cranking.

So the dealer said that it was triggered once and that the message was just hanging around. They rest the codes and it hasn't done it since. We shall see if it comes back.

Interesting explanation. I wonder why other messages don't hang around. Did they reset your DIC and/or explain what situations will trigger this notice? I have never seen this particular message and would be concerned as to the cause.

So the dealer said that it was triggered once and that the message was just hanging around. They rest the codes and it hasn't done it since. We shall see if it comes back.

Sounds plausible as the code was stored in the system if there was a moment of fault with the EPS motor/module. While it came up did you have any steering issues (loss of assist, binding, etc.)?

If the EPS lost communication for a split second for whatever reason (terminal tension can cause forget a hardware/software fault) it would trip a fault code.

Edited by 15HDriver

So the backstory is the day before the message appears there was snow and ice. No issues but from purchase I thought the steering was very firm and seemed harder to turn than it should. So the day after ice the message Pops and the steering is like butter. So much easier to drive. I hope the steering stays that way when I pick it up this evening.

So the backstory is the day before the message appears there was snow and ice. No issues but from purchase I thought the steering was very firm and seemed harder to turn than it should. So the day after ice the message Pops and the steering is like butter. So much easier to drive. I hope the steering stays that way when I pick it up this evening.

Could have been connector water intrusion from snow buildup. Very possible and we've seen it before.

• Like 1

I hope that's all. Love the ride of this truck and I hope the steering stays like butter. Thanks for the experienced info all.

So update..... I go to pick my truck up tonight and it's still on the lift. Apparently the code threw again and now they can't communicate with the truck. Something about BCM 100% drop. Can't remember exactly. So they gave me a loaner.

Another tid bit to note is I bought this from their loaner program. It had 3,250 miles when I bought it. I was really hoping whoever used it in loaner didn't raw dog the shit out of it.

Edited by Waymon

Another tid bit to note is I bought this from their loaner program. It had 3,250 miles when I bought it. I was really hoping whoever used it in loaner didn't raw dog the shit out of it.

Oh boy, I sure hope you didn't buy the truck I had as a loaner. Had it for over a month and put 2,600 miles on it. The most violent, abusive miles you could ever imagine. It was always to the floor!! 4 low donuts anyone? ?

• Like 1

Oh boy, I sure hope you didn't buy the truck I had as a loaner. Had it for over a month and put 2,600 miles on it. The most violent, abusive miles you could ever imagine. It was always to the floor!! 4 low donuts anyone?

Luckily I'm to far away from you to have gotten that. I can say that i have tested the Loaner i have so i am 100% sure that mine was also "Tested" before i bought it.

Update #2 I called the dealer today and talked to the technician. He told me that they have contacted GM twice now getting list of things to check. It is dropping connection at random for just a split second and throwing the steering message. I'm thinking the BCM needs to be replaced but i am sure they want to thoroughly go through as they are stating they have yet to encounter this exact issue. They told me that once i get close to 3,000 miles on my loaner to bring it in and get another one. It's setting at 2,700 so later this week i will see what they put me in.