Regret your 3/4?

Had another topic in another forum on here - asking the guys who own the diesels now, this isn't the same topic but related to my decision I'm trying to make.

To those of you who have went from gasser to diesel. Do you regret it after the " new " feeing wore off?

How much more did the pump and oil changes hit your wallet?

Would you go back to a gasser or are you I love with the power and sound of the diesel?

I know some people who buy a diesel cause they just love the damn things - I love me but never owned one that's why I'm

In the boat and asking lots of questions to get answers before I spend a boat load of cash. I wanna know and hear feed back from actual owners who made the switch I'm thinking about.

Oh and if you are wondering am I going to tow? Maybe but do not own any heavy equipment at the moment so I would be buying to have the engine and power if I want it and as far as ride quality I'll lift it with BDS lift so it won't be as rough.

Thanks a lot for the input look forward to you guys info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Came from a half-ton Denali. I miss the comfort and quiet of the gasser. I was right on the edge of safety for the toy that I pull for the 1/2 ton so it was a pretty easy decision to go 3/4 ton and Diesel is just better at pulling. All in all, no regrets, just wish the ride was just a little easier on my old spine, and any chance to get the Duramax quieter I would take.

I owned Dodge Cummins' from the time they were introduced and traded the last one (pre-excessive emissions version) on this 2012...I do not miss much. Sometimes towing heavy I miss the power, but I don't tow heavy that often...not enough to justify the added cost to purchase another one.

I couldn't go back to a 1500, but I doubt I'll ever own another diesel.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Well I was in the same boat as you - I tow a 24' TT that weighs around 6500 lbs - we went on a couple of long trips with it and my current ride - an 07 2500HD with the gas engine. While this combo has done fine, there were times on these longer trips that the combination of conditions led to less that stellar performance. In the coming years I plan on taking way more long trips and will probably be getting a larger TT so I had the chance to get a diesel and took it - I have a new 2017 on order - delivery hopefully in March. I am looking forward to a bigger fuel tank and hopefully better towing MPG. I talked with many people who made the switch and never looked back - most were TT owners I ran into in campgrounds. Some even had a TT just like mine and they reported better mileage and performance. All were happy with their decision.

Well I was in the same boat as you - I tow a 24' TT that weighs around 6500 lbs - we went on a couple of long trips with it and my current ride - an 07 2500HD with the gas engine. While this combo has done fine, there were times on these longer trips that the combination of conditions led to less that stellar performance. In the coming years I plan on taking way more long trips and will probably be getting a larger TT so I had the chance to get a diesel and took it - I have a new 2017 on order - delivery hopefully in March. I am looking forward to a bigger fuel tank and hopefully better towing MPG. I talked with many people who made the switch and never looked back - most were TT owners I ran into in campgrounds. Some even had a TT just like mine and they reported better mileage and performance. All were happy with their decision.

I think I may have already replied on another thread of yours, but just in case- Starting in 2008 for the Duramax, GM added the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) in order to meet the strict new standards as imposed by the EPA. Then in 2011 they had to also add the DEF stuff. Same with Ford and Dodge. Since the advent of the EGR, DPF, & DEF- the diesels are not as.. friendly and fun to drive as they once where. More components to go wrong - and they do go wrong. If you are not in a position to where you can delete the Emissions garbage such as living in an area that requires emissions testing- then you had best plan on having an extra $4000 or so stashed away to replace the DPF and or DEF when it goes out. There is a certain fun factor to owning a Diesel, but after awhile, it does wear out and you start to think more practically. I'll be trading my 2012 duramax in on a 6.2L 1500 when I am no longer upside down. I don't do any towing anymore. The only good thing the diesels have going for them is that they hold onto their value a bit better vs the 1/2 tons. I recommend you don't go the diesel route unless you are going to use it for what it was made for- to work HARD.

I think I may have already replied on another thread of yours, but just in case- Starting in 2008 for the Duramax, GM added the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) in order to meet the strict new standards as imposed by the EPA. Then in 2011 they had to also add the DEF stuff. Same with Ford and Dodge. Since the advent of the EGR, DPF, & DEF- the diesels are not as.. friendly and fun to drive as they once where. More components to go wrong - and they do go wrong. If you are not in a position to where you can delete the Emissions garbage such as living in an area that requires emissions testing- then you had best plan on having an extra $4000 or so stashed away to replace the DPF and or DEF when it goes out. There is a certain fun factor to owning a Diesel, but after awhile, it does wear out and you start to think more practically. I'll be trading my 2012 duramax in on a 6.2L 1500 when I am no longer upside down. I don't do any towing anymore. The only good thing the diesels have going for them is that they hold onto their value a bit better vs the 1/2 tons. I recommend you don't go the diesel route unless you are going to use it for what it was made for- to work HARD.

Valid point.........If your pulling something almost everyday than get the diesel if not save yourself the coin and associated maintenance which has gotten pretty ridiculous on em.............

I had a salesman talk me out of a diesel (back in '94). Just pricing a truck that he thought was a company truck (which it wasn't) If I wasn't towing, putting a lot of miles on it or keeping it for a longer than normal time (6 years) I was wasting my money. I imagine maintenance costs have increased greatly since then as well.

I really don't understand buying a Dmax if all it is going to be (to steal a phrase from the Jeepers) a mall crawler.

If it was a 94 6.5L GM Diesel then Maintenance costs have actually improved. DRASTICALLY. Every once in awhile you got lucky and had a 6.5L diesel with very few problems but man oh man there was a reason the Cummins was the leader back then until the Power Joke came out.

Sounds like you guys are speaking from

Experience. I'm fairly young 29 and just thought that one day I wanted to

Own a diesel while I can spare the money to play with one. I don't mind spending money to delete the def and egr and dpf systems. If it will lengthen the trucks life span.

I'm just so on the fence. I want it cause I want it and I only live once in life. Owning a truck and fixing them up is a guilty hobby. However if I bought this truck it would be the last one till after my house is built. Or I can keep my 5.3 which I've modded a lot and save the cash.

I'm

Torn on what to

Do... and I'm

Sure plenty of you guys have been in my situation which is why I'm asking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't regret mine. This is actually my second. First one, 2012 extended cab, then I needed more cab space so got a crew cab. Whatever you do, just get the crew cab and be done. I occasionally pull an enclosed trailer with our quads, so I only bought the 6.0. I want to get bigger trailer soon, but still not enuf for me to need a diesel. I admit the mileage isn't the greatest with my gasser, but I don't know with the maintenance costs, if the diesel would be better or not. I love the ride, comfort, and stability of my 2500 though. The 15 body style is the best yet I think.

I miss having a 6.0. Been driving a dmax for over a year now and while it has plenty of power is completely over kill for anything other than towing my boat, which isn't going to happen anytime soon anyway. If GM could get a gas motor with 500-600 lb/ft of torque and a hitch tow rating of 15k I'd probably trade in this dmax. Dmax is too quiet and has too much tree hugger crap (I only have an 09 too!), plus I grew up with v8s that sounded like v8s. If you've got the money and want a diesel then fine it's your money do what you want. The only reason I have a diesel is b/c it was my dad's so I kept the newer truck with less miles and sold my '06 2500HD. Even without the 500-600 lb/ft of torque I'm still strongly considering getting a CCLB dually with the 6.0. When and if my boat is ever ready to go out I'll just have to put up with towing right at the limits of GMs specs. Technically I'll be doing that with the diesel now anyway, just all that extra torque makes a huge difference.

What made me realize what I was missing not owning a diesel was my last trip to the mountains pulling a 24' enclosed snowmobile trailer. I've made several trips west pulling an enclosed trailer or travel trailer with a gas motor but our last trip a buddy had a new diesel we drove and I was amazed at the towing power you get in the hills and at 10k elevation. I don't tow everyday or truly need a diesel but love the disposable power.

Archived